Paypal eCheck

I have 3-5 days to ship an item but Paypal suggest me to wait to send it out until the eCheck clears, in 5-7 days. What am I supposed to do?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paypal eCheck

You might also consider leaving a polite note for the buyer through ebay messages stating you thank them for their prompt payment but that since it is in the form of an echeck, you are obligated by paypal to wait until it clears before you can ship. Give them the specific dates that is outlined in the note from paypal. (Copy and paste it if you wish so that they can't think you're exaggerating or something.)

I suggest this and do it for all my echeck payments because buyers too often are surprised to learn one was issued when they paid. As in, they had no earthly idea they were paying with an echeck. This way, you have alerted them to the fact it's not your dawdling that is causing the dispatch delay. No one wants the defects for that. 

Also, it is in your best interest to keep an eye on your paypal account to see exactly when the funds clear. If you wait until after the email from paypal stating it has happened, you can lose as much as a full business day. (Those email messages are not always prompt.) Your buyer will appreciate it, after waiting so long. 

Good luck.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Paypal eCheck

Never ship until payment clears.  You will get a message from Paypal, when it's safe to ship.  echecks can bounce, just like a regular check.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Paypal eCheck

You might also consider leaving a polite note for the buyer through ebay messages stating you thank them for their prompt payment but that since it is in the form of an echeck, you are obligated by paypal to wait until it clears before you can ship. Give them the specific dates that is outlined in the note from paypal. (Copy and paste it if you wish so that they can't think you're exaggerating or something.)

I suggest this and do it for all my echeck payments because buyers too often are surprised to learn one was issued when they paid. As in, they had no earthly idea they were paying with an echeck. This way, you have alerted them to the fact it's not your dawdling that is causing the dispatch delay. No one wants the defects for that. 

Also, it is in your best interest to keep an eye on your paypal account to see exactly when the funds clear. If you wait until after the email from paypal stating it has happened, you can lose as much as a full business day. (Those email messages are not always prompt.) Your buyer will appreciate it, after waiting so long. 

Good luck.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Paypal eCheck

All good points.

You might mention in the course of your thank you email to the buyer, that you cannot print his shipping label until the e-cheque has cleared but are ready to do so as soon as that happens.

And use 'e-cheque' to emphasize that you are not American. I find it useful to remind US buyers that there is a border to cross, just so they don't get too antsy.

Leave feedback as soon as the parcel is in the mail. I use "thank you for your prompt payment. shipped 14/2/15 Canada Post Air Mail' or add the tracking number if available. This, I believe, encourages positive return feedback.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Paypal eCheck

Thank you very much for your kindness. I rarely sell on Ebay, but next time it happens I will be aware. Thanks again.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply