Does anyone find it strange that a $4.00 item costs $36.00 to Ship?

22 REPLIES 22

If $40 is not worth it to you.... do not buy it.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Depends on how it is shipped. What size it is. Try shipping a empty box 24 inches square and weighs about 5 lbs that cost $4.00 by canada post. from toronto to vancouver. It will cost you over $60.00
Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Depends what it is, how well they're packaging it, where they're sending to & from & what shipping company they're using
Message 4 of 23
latest reply

With all due respect,not one of you best advice mr Lebel.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

I think it's great advice.  We can ask why and scratch our heads, and ask everyone else what they think about shipping charges, and wonder if certain charges are strange, or fair, or whatever, in general or in particular, but in the end, for a potential buyer, the only question in this topic area worth asking and worth getting an answer to, is "Is it worth it?"

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Shipping cost does not depend on the value of the item, but on its dimensions and weight.

Other factors are the seller's wish for security, which may lead her to opt for a Confirmed Delivery, tracked and insured service.

Or the item may be time-sensitive, in which case and expensive but rapid service would be a sensible choice.

And then there is the Global Shipping Program....

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

GSP items that do not have size and weight supplied by the seller will be charged a default value for shipping.

The basis for this is average size and weight for the category, leaving a very wide choice of possible shipping costs for items. Obviously the item value has nothing to do with the shipping cost they assign.

An antique  advertising brochure for suitcases in the suitcases category  would generate a suitcase sized shipping cost.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

And so we find another failure of the Global Shipping Program.

And of eBay who do not remind sellers of cheap items that the GSP is not suitable for the program.

All they need to do is add a similar Notice to the ones for sellers of stamps, Native American, and other similar products noting that the use of the program for low value items is a bad business decision.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

@patken123 wrote:

With all due respect,not one of you best advice mr Lebel.

Actually that is one of the best pieces of advice for any buyer, under any circumstances. A buyer who consistently follows that advice and who checks a seller's feedback received and left before buying from that seller should really have very little to complain about here.  Theoretically.

(The GSP does muddy the waters some, but is easily avoided.)

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

So next time if I read you or Maggie complain about the high price of something ,I can tell you:if you don't like it don't buy it,and you won't get upset or hold it against me ,I'll remember that.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

You will never see me complain about the high price of something I've bought. I choose what I buy carefully and if I make a mistake, I call it the price of an education.

Quite frankly, it baffles me why someone would buy something and then complain about the price. Unless the listing is misleading (due to the seller making a mistake or, sometimes, being less than honest), a buyer should have all the necessary information to make an informed buying decision. And if more information is needed, there is an "ask seller a question" link.

The GSP is another matter entirely. Mostly because it appears that when browsing on a mobile device, it's not easy to tell a GSP listing from a non-GSP one.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

So you have not seen /experienced sellers who put exceptionally low price on an item but increase  the shipping charge to make up for their loss?

I'm sure you have seen in umpteen times but don't think much of it but to some, you must it may look strange,wouldn't  that be a better  explanation  than to tell someone,well,if you don't like it ,don't buy it? 

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Correction:
to some ,you must admit it may look strange.

That's it I said what I needed to say.I'm done.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@patken123 wrote:

So you have not seen /experienced sellers who put exceptionally low price on an item but increase  the shipping charge to make up for their loss?

I'm sure you have seen in umpteen times but don't think much of it but to some, you must it may look strange,wouldn't  that be a better  explanation  than to tell someone,well,if you don't like it ,don't buy it? 

I guess it depends on the type of items you buy on the site. I use eBay strictly to buy collectibles and either I've been lucky or else the people who sell the stuff that I buy are not in the habit of doing this.

That said, if an item is worth $50 to me, I don't much care if a seller is offering it for $10 + $40 shipping vs $40 + $10 shipping. If the total price is not more than what I'm willing to pay, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I'll keep looking.

There are very few things offered on eBay that will not be offered again. So yes, I would say if you don't like it, don't buy it. It will most likely come around again, and being patient often pays off.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

I'm just curious - from which seller would you make your purchase:

A) item is $50 with free shipping

B) item is $10 with $40 shipping charge

c) item is $40 with $10 shipping charge

I'd rather buy from seller C, because I'd think that the listed price is a fair price for the item, and I'd also believe that the $10 is an accurate charge, for sending the package via USPS. But you *have* to realize - regardless of whichever seller gets the sale, the buyer is paying the same amount, which is $50 total.

IDK why sellers up the cost,  and then include free shipping, but I'll assume it makes their life easier. I'll also assume that some sellers offer their items at a drastically lower price because they're hoping to get the sales - but then make up for their losses by "overcharging" for shipping. But what's the difference? Buyers need to pay attention to the listings: if it's not the shipping charges, then it's the item description, or shipping location restrictions, or abysmal feedback, etc. for ebay to be enjoyable. Otherwise, why bother?

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

IDK why sellers up the cost,  and then include free shipping, but I'll assume it makes their life easier.

Buyers like Free Shipping. And yes, most are smart enough to know that the shipping cost is in there somewhere, it's an emotional thing not logical.

Sellers get a slightly higher placement in Search for using Free Shipping, because eBay knows buyers like it.

Seller fees may be slightly lower if included in the selling price rather than in the S&H.

With a 'hidden' shipping fee, sellers can include the cost of packaging (bubblewrap ain't free) and insurance in the total cost, which is harder when S&H is portioned out.

By offering 'Free' domestic shipping, sellers are not charged shipping fees on non-domestic shipping fees.

The one thing that makes the seller's life harder, is that the non-domestic shipping fees have to be Flat Rate and allowances made in the postage charged for international shipping compared to the actual cost of postage.

A seller wants $10 for an item. Canadian postage and packaging will be $1.

The item is listed at $11 with Free Shipping to Canada.

Shipping to the USA would actually be $2

The shipping to the USA is given as a Flat Rate of $1.

Shipping to Germany would actually be $5.

The shipping to Germany is given as $4.

Obviously, none of these numbers reflect reality, just a way of showing what the seller needs to do to have that Free Shipping icon.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

The one thing that makes the seller's life harder, is that the non-domestic shipping fees have to be Flat Rate and allowances made in the postage charged for international shipping compared to the actual cost of postage.

A seller wants $10 for an item. Canadian postage and packaging will be $1.

The item is listed at $11 with Free Shipping to Canada.

Shipping to the USA would actually be $2

The shipping to the USA is given as a Flat Rate of $1.

Shipping to Germany would actually be $5.

The shipping to Germany is given as $4.

Obviously, none of these numbers reflect reality, just a way of showing what the seller needs to do to have that Free Shipping icon.

Shipping to Germany also costs seller 1% more in item and shipping fees so I would probably still list shipping as $5 in that scenario. There  is no rule that international shipping has to have the same discount as domestic shipping.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

I am watching a hat that is $25 and they want another $25 to ship from the US to Canada. I bought a different hat and a shirt a few weeks ago,both from US,shipping was about $10 for one, $15 for the other so I'm thinking the person that wants  $25 for hipping a hat is making some money off the shipping.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

Maybe, the seller is boosting the shipping cost. And maybe not, some seller absorb some of the cost to make item more attractive to buyers.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply