Incorrect refund amount to buyer because ebay refunds ALL tax (even on shipping).

dhslk
Community Member

For many of you with light items, this may not be a problem, or you may not even notice the problem, but for my recent refund to a Canadian buyer I am out almost $8 (not that big a deal, but would add up over the years). The reason:

Canadian buyer returned heavy item cross country (just didn't work for their space, so return was on the buyer's dime, and original postage was not to be refunded). The buyer SHOULD have received refund for original item purchase price and tax on purchase price. Outbound shipping of $52 (and HST on that shipping) was not to be refunded, as this service was used. However, outbound shipping HST of $7.80 was included by ebay on the refund to the buyer. I chatted with ebay while I was in the process of the refund and they insisted that the total would be broken down properly by ebay on the last step, which of course didn't happen. To add insult to injury, they closed the chat while I was reading the info on the final refund page and before I could tell them that they were wrong and that I was out the HST on shipping.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Incorrect refund amount to buyer because ebay refunds ALL tax (even on shipping).

So you are saying:

You charge Canadian sales tax.

You made a partial refund.

eBay refunded that amount PLUS sales tax on the entire order, instead the sales tax on the partial refund.

tyler@ebay 

Message 2 of 2
latest reply