Wiating on Refund

Hi,

I bought a hard cover book for 150,+26 shipping and 23 in taxes 199.89

Item did not show up after 2 weeks. I asked for a refund. Ebay says seller offered it in full. says 3 to 5 days to get it from the issuance date of Aug 20th 2022. Day later I get a email from a Paypal address saying I owe someone 800.00 bucks and if I dont respond by phone in 24 hours they are taking the 199.89 and 600 MORE !,UNLESS i CALL asap. 

Seller note to customer

We've detected that your PayPal account has been accessed fraudulently. If you did not make this transaction, please call us at toll free number +1 (888) 870-5094 to cancel and claim a refund. If this is not the case, you will be charged $800. 00 USD today. "We've detected that your PayPal account has been accessed fraudulently. If you did not make this transaction, please call us at toll free number +1 (888) 870-5094 to cancel and claim a refund

Within the automated deduction of the amount, this transaction will reflect on PayPal activity after 24 hours. Our Service Hours: (06:00 a. m. to 06:00 p. m. Pacific Time, Monday through Saturday."

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE ?  I have not used my Ebay for anything else in the last 6 months or more.  Thanks for any advice.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Wiating on Refund

That's almost certainly a scam unrelated to eBay (and probably unrelated to the seller as well). It's just really unfortunate timing that has you questioning it rather than identifying it as such.

If you're worried, go to PayPal directly (DO NOT click on a link from an email) and check your account. You could also phone or chat with them (again, get the number from PayPal's website directly, NOT the one in the email which is almost certainly fake).

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Wiating on Refund

Message is a scam -- I've had them in the past.

You can FORWARD the message to phishing@paypal.com

and then delete the message.

-;-

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Wiating on Refund

About the book- which is a real transaction.

What was the estimated last day for delivery? Two weeks is , frankly, optimistic.

Over my 30+ years in mail order I usually allow 21 days for delivery within North America.

It's usually faster, but pessimism is not a fault with shipping.

Did you ask the seller for a refund or did you file an Item Not Received dispute?

With a book of that value and given that it was obviously shipped parcel, what does the tracking number show about its current location?

EBay often allows extra time for a package which is moving to be delivered, rather than immediately forcing the refund.

If you bought the book with a PP account that draws on your credit card, check your cc balance,because the refund would go there.

If you used a PP balance or a bank balance, the refund goes to those accounts.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply