APP update NIGHTMARE

EBay's new App update has a huge flaw/problem. It impacts you if you list on .com because it affects how people view your listings.

This is what they've done: All your items listed on .com now have the words "Brand New" or "Nearly New" in the item title (at the beginning of each title). And this just appeared on its own. Almost all my listings have the words "Nearly New" in their title. So I'm thinking what the heck? All my items are of brand new condition, so what is this, making buyers think I'm selling used items IN THE TITLE when I'm not?

So I call eBay, and after investigating, the lady tells me that in the new update, eBay has decided to insert the words "Brand New" or "Nearly New" in item titles to describe how newly listed an item is. Are they serious??? This is catastrophic. First of all, why are they even messing with our item titles? Secondly, how do the words "nearly new" give the impression they're talking about how new a listing is? To me, it looks like a description of condition.

Now I know some of you don't use the app, but if you list on .com, tons of potential buyers who use the App will not buy your item because they'll think your item is pre-owned (when it's new) or brand new (when it's an antique). This update will impact your sales in a major way. I buy/sell and do everything on the app so I'm sure there are tons of buyers who do the same. The lady I spoke with said that this was the first time she's received a call about this problem, so I beg/urge all of you to please call eBay about this so they can fix it ASAP. This is not some kind of minor glitch that can be allowed to go on, it should be fixed IMMEDIATELY!
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

APP update NIGHTMARE

eBay should be reminded of the following statement in each listing.....

Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

Nothing can be added to a listing without a seller's permission...

and that includes the title.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

APP update NIGHTMARE

I noticed some of my Facebook friends were welcoming home their university student children.

So I suppose eBay has loosed the latest batch of interns on the site.

Sigh.

Last year when the dotCOM Boards were redone- with all those very stupid Participation badges - the guy who designed it mentioned that he was proud that it had been accepted and implemented before he had been with the company for three months.

Well. My goodness. Isn't that special.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

APP update NIGHTMARE

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I noticed some of my Facebook friends were welcoming home their university student children.

So I suppose eBay has loosed the latest batch of interns on the site.

Sigh.

Last year when the dotCOM Boards were redone- with all those very stupid Participation badges - the guy who designed it mentioned that he was proud that it had been accepted and implemented before he had been with the company for three months.

Well. My goodness. Isn't that special.

Ah yes, enthusiasm untempered by experience and lacking any knowledge of the past....

2017-4-25 herman air rivets.jpg

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

APP update NIGHTMARE

And to those of you who sell pre-owned/used items on eBay, consider this: When buyers start buying items they thought were "brand new" (because it says BRAND NEW in the title), and receive a used item instead, who is going to be forced to give them a refund?

Also, interesting enough all the titles either say "brand new" or "nearly new". There is no "somewhat new", or "not new at all". So on top of their stupidly, they are lying to our customers, and without our permission. How is my good till cancelled listing from years ago "nearly new"?

They have the nerve to give us only a certain number of characters for a title, the audacity to charge for subtitles, then they go and add whatever they want to our titles themselves. I think we should charge eBay $0.50 per listing for any listing they insert their "brand new/nearly new" on. Why didn't they ask us what words we want added? How about you add 🇨🇦 (A Canadian flag) to my title? Or my Powerseller badge? I want the words "NOT IN CHINA" in my title. For crying out loud, what a hot unnecessary mess they have created...
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

APP update NIGHTMARE

Thank you for bringing this up, as I rarely use the app and wouldn't have known otherwise.

The main problem I have with this is the verbiage. On a computer, when a seller's listings are "new" (as in, newly listed), this little grey icon shows at the beginning of the title...

New.png

...which is fine, because it's clear that the "new" is referencing the listing, not the item. Simply saying "brand new" is very confusing. And "nearly new"? What constitutes "nearly"?

Add to that, another board user used to quote a stat, which I don't remember exactly, but it was something like two-thirds of views on listings are on a mobile platform, meaning a lot of potential buyers will be seeing these labels and perhaps confusingly assuming that the product is "brand new", not the listing.

Oh, Weekly Chat Session, where art thou?

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

APP update NIGHTMARE

@thestuffofchris wrote:

...which is fine, because it's clear that the "new" is referencing the listing, not the item. Simply saying "brand new" is very confusing. And "nearly new"? What constitutes "nearly"?

New without tags = nearly? I haven't looked at this in some time but if I recall correct they were mapping to the item condition.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply