About Item Not Received Case

This is still purely a hypothetical situation  but it' s slow so I thought post this.  I'm not worried but it would nice to know what's ahead for this transaction and what if anything I can do if everything goes wrong.

I sold an item February 3rd and shipped via Tracked packet on the 4th.

Buyer emailed February 17th wanting to know where his package was and I sent him the tracking information (which he already had).

February 22nd he opened a case for Item not received.  This was the first day eBay would allow him to open a case because expected delivery date was February 21st.  Clearly he was watching and waiting for the first opportunity to file a case.  He then informed me that he wants a refund if the item hasn't arrived "in a few days."  I have until the 28th to respond to the case.

If the item hasn't arrived by the 28th or 29th will eBay refund this buyer?

Tracking shows that it entered the States on the 7th and that's the last scan.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

If the tracking had been updated recently, I would suggest that you phone ebay CS and ask them to extend the time you have to respond.  You can still do that but since it has been a while since the tracking has updated, they may not do that.  Did you check usos.com to see if tracking showed the same thing there?

If the item hasn’t been delivered by the 28th and you haven’t refunded the buyer, they can ask ebay to step in.  I think they have to wait until the 29th but I’m not positive on that, they may be able to do so on the 28th.  If that happens, eBay will refund on your behalf and you will get an unresolved case defect.  If I were you I would probably refund before that could happen.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Was the shipment going to the USA or internationally? It never hurts to check the country of destinations postal system for additional updates. Quite often they are much more detailed.

As a side note you may want to sign up for with Canadapost(& or foreign postal system) for tracking updates and call CanPost to request an investigation. From past experience, quite often when I've attempted this in the past the item "automagically" suddenly is delivered. Robot surprised

-Lotz

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

The item was going to the States.

The case says I have until the 29th to post the Tracking number (not refund).    I haven't posted it yet because I'm hoping to draw it out as long as possible although I doubt it matters if I post it today or Thursday.  I'm not sure why they're asking for it because it's already been posted when I shipped.

I was hoping they'd allow some extra time after the tracking information has been posted.

I'm not planning to refund because I'm pretty sure it will still show up and if the case is found against me it will the first so I can live with that.

I'll call them on the 28th if it hasn't been delivered.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

There is no February 29th this year. 

Ian

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

@ichopshop wrote:

There is no February 29th this year. 

Ian

Then I guess I'm home free.

One reason this is a problem for me in addition to this being a difficult buyer and the odds that he'll repay me when it eventually arrives are very low, is because I insured this item.   I'm not sure how long the PO has to deliver,  but If I refund and it arrives I won't be able to collect insurance.   

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

What does tracking say for this parcel when you check it on USPS? Is it very valuable? Would you normally have sent this with tracking or did the customer tip his hand before purchasing to show he had the potential to be difficult for you?
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Also: destination? There are certain USPS hubs that have worse reputations for logjams than others.
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

I just called CPO and they even though they usually require 30 days to track an item she started the trace today.

It's going to Tualatin OR.

Not really valuable but still about CA$180 and insured via Tracked packet and Third party combo.

CPO and USPS tracking are the same but CPO says expected delivery was Feb. 12th while USPS says Feb. 23rd.

Just a sense that the buyer is edgy and he's definitely unlike my usual polite buyer so I don't expect him to cut me any slack.   I made sure to get the added insurance via Insurepost because I didn't trust him and normally I might not have done that.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @sylviebee - hoping that the package gets delivered and all this will just have been a thought exercise, but also want to add my two cents:

Please make sure that you upload tracking to the request before it can be escalated. While it's attached to the transaction, I want to make sure you qualify for all available seller protection, and not uploading the tracking number to an open request could jeopardize that. 

I agree with PJ about requesting an extension especially if there's been movement in the last 10 days. If there has not been movement in the past 10 days you're potentially looking at a loss if the request gets escalated. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Thank You Tyler.  I'll upload tracking tomorrow and also call eBay and ask for an extension based on the fact that the PO has started a trace.  

There's been no movement since Feb. 7th.

My concern is that they deliver the day after I've refunded which would negate my insurance claim.  It's really only been 13-14 business days since I shipped considering that there was an American Holiday during that time period and that doesn't seem like very much time.

I don't get concerned about items arriving here for at least a month.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

I want to make sure you qualify for all available seller protection ........................

Hi Tyler, I understand where I stand with insurance and the PO, but it just occurred to me that I have no idea what eBay "seller protection" actually does for me.

Could you please explain how seller protection protects me and adds to the mix?

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

It only ‘protects’ you if delivery confirmation shows the package was delivered to the payment address.  Even if you don’t mind one unresolved case defect, you can’t win (and won’t be protected) if  the tracking doesn’t show the package was delivered so you should refund before it can be escalated.

tyler@ebay 

Since the tracking is already showing with the transaction, why would the op have to enter the number again?   Could they potentially lose the case even if the item was delivered and tracking wasn’t uploaded again?

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

"""It only ‘protects’ you if delivery confirmation shows the package was delivered to the payment address.  ""

Seems to me, that since eBay automatically refunds if there is no tracking, the irony is that eBay seller protection is protecting sellers from eBay.

Meaningful seller protection would be if eBay would compensate sellers who shipped with tracking if the item arrives after the expected delivery date and the seller was forced to refund prematurely.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Hi @pjcdn2005 - apologies, I was mixing my markets: if tracking is uploaded to the transaction for an eBay.ca or eBay.com not received request that should be just fine for protection in the event it gets escalated to us. 

On eBay.co.uk, in order to remain protected items need to have their tracking number uploaded to the transaction before the estimated delivery date passes.

@sylviebee - PJ outlined the situations in which you'd be protected (ie: win an escalated not received request), and gave some good insight. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 19
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Even if you don’t mind one unresolved case defect, you can’t win (and won’t be protected) if  the tracking doesn’t show the package was delivered so you should refund before it can be escalated.

That's true but so far I've only been asked to post the tracking information which brings me back to my initial reason for posting here.

The case doesn't say that I have until the 27th to refund.  The case says that I have until the 27th to post the tracking number (which they already have), which of course I will do.

You're right PJ:  I realize that I can't win the case so there's no point in holding back a refund.

I was looking for a head's up on how long I have between the time I post the tracking number and having to refund the buyer to avoid a defect, or are the two one and the same?

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for all the input.  I got a 10 day extension and so should be able to avoid a defect so that seems fair.  🙂

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Hi all

I don't really want to open a new discussion since there already seems to be a heading for items not received.  I try and be a good seller with communication and tracking details when available. A while back I noticed that some buyers in the USA may not be buying due to the cost of tracking, so I offer them no tracking at a reduced rate and they accept the consequences. Now I have 2 items which supposedly were not received from low feedback buyers back to back. Never had anything go missing before. Plus neither buyer contacted me to say it wasn't ultimately never received The cases are a little different but here's my question. If the buyer doesn't opt for tracking why should the seller be on the hook for the refund? They are hopefully adults have read the listing and understand once the item is gone it's the postal systems responsibility.  It's frustrating. And eBay says "The item must be tracked for the buyer to be eligible". So no tracking and I have to refund the buyers! Why?????   So now I will forget about trying to save anyone money and offer Tracking only and Signature if possible. But really what's the point if the mail carrier leaves it on your doorstep and your neighbors steal it?

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

@nemesis_is wrote:

Hi all

................ but here's my question. If the buyer doesn't opt for tracking why should the seller be on the hook for the refund? 

Yes.  Those upgraded methods of shipping are for the seller's protection, so it makes sense that the seller should pay for the upgrade in shipping costs.  The buyer has eBay and PP protection and the upgrades are for the seller's benefit so the seller should pay.

HOWEVER, sellers usually opt to push that expense to the buyer.

Just a head's up though.  My original post here was about an item shipped to a freight forwarder and the buyer was overseas.

That complicated insurance issues (really, it was truly PITA for the return it yielded), but I did get insurance coverage coverage in the end.  Just don't think it was worth the extra effort as it took way too much time and energy.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply