Anyone Else That Uses Shippo Get an Email About Changes to Payment Methods?

For anyone else that uses Shippo for labels did you get an email from them today saying "Important Update: Changes to our Payment Method Options". Email is addressed to me by name and says Starting June 2023 PayPal will no longer be a supported payment method on Shippo. (I've always paid with PayPal for the many years I've used Shippo). There is a link in the email "Change Payment Method" saying they accept all credit cards and Direct Billing from bank. I most certainly do not want to enter personal information on the link and I've messaged Shippo Support (from site directly) twice with no response to find out if it's real and what date.

Anyone else get this? If it's some kind of phisching ploy they know me by name and email looks pretty real.

I know there is a way to change payment methods on the site but I don't want to change from PayPal if this isn't real. I'm just going to wait but wondered if any of my fellow Shippo users knows/saw anything?? Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I deal with a couple of service providors, they will only take PayPal as a last resort, they don't publicly offer PayPal but if your on file credit card is declined they give you the option to use PayPal.

Simple reason......PayPal fees have gotten ridiculous if you have your own merchant account.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I didn’t get an email.

Side note since eBay now offers level 4 and shippo doesn’t tied to your personal account I’m done with shippo. Any particular reason you are staying with them that I maybe didn’t consider?
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

For me, I am using shippo/Snap ship over ebay labels for stuff becasue I get  a recipt with the actual tax paid (I am a registered bussiness and I get that back at the end of the year). ebay lables doesnt give me a reciept and or tell you how much tax you paid for the labels,

If ebay labeks did all that I might just use them (I am close to a level 4 so for the 10 cents difference on small packet just carrying on with my own level 3 and recipts for canada labels I do make which is rare) I have used the new expedited lite about 8 times since its started but a recipt would be really nice!

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

There's a few reasons I've statyed, I like that they are linked to my Canada Post account - it's easier if you have to open a ticket or want to see everything in one place, plus I'm at Level 3 and want to keep my discount level up in case the eBay label promo stops (like it did before). Also as regs43 says I like having the detailed invoice and receipts (was a bookkeeper too many years). I also like they don't invoice until you hit $100 (or a week whichever comes first). Though I haven't had to use it they also allow return labels to be created.

I still have been using eBay labels for shipments within Canada while promo is on.

My concern with the email from Shippo was the big green "Change Payment Method" button wanting bank info (there are so many convincing looking scam emails these days). I couldn't find anything on the actual site about the change and customer service hasn't responded. That's why I wondered if anyone else saw it, but it would only be those that use Shippo and have auto pay set up with PayPal I suppose. I may be alone on this one!

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

There's a few reasons I've statyed, I like that they are linked to my Canada Post account - it's easier if you have to open a ticket or want to see everything in one place, plus I'm at Level 3 and want to keep my discount level up in case the eBay label promo stops (like it did before). Also as regs43 says I like having the detailed invoice and receipts (was a bookkeeper too many years). I also like they don't invoice until you hit $100 (or a week whichever comes first). Though I haven't had to use it they also allow return labels to be created.

I still have been using eBay labels for shipments within Canada while promo is on.

My concern with the email from Shippo was the big green "Change Payment Method" button wanting bank info (there are so many convincing looking scam emails these days). I couldn't find anything on the actual site about the change and customer service hasn't responded. That's why I wondered if anyone else saw it, but it would only be those that use Shippo and have auto pay set up with PayPal I suppose. I may be alone on this one!

@msau4301 

@regs43 

@ericsells75 

Got the payment switcheroo email too. Haven't tested it. Has anyone taken the plunge yet with switching? Did it go smoothly or did it make you nervous?

devon@ebay 

Right now for me the only advantages of using Shippo Labels is deluxe customs form and faster processing of Voids(Always under 10 business days). For the customs form all the fields are there that should be. With those missing fields something going off the rails to a VAT country is always possible. I passed on suggestions on several occasions to the eBay Label team but those messages get returned as undeliverable unless you are part of the "registered group". This defeats the purpose of requesting and then trying to send suggestions. 

-Lotz

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I heard back from Shippo customer service this morning. It is a real change, it is effective June 1st but they said they will allow a couple of weeks grace period. I haven't changed it yet as I want to leave it a couple more weeks if I can. recped is probably right about it being about the higher fees.

Myself I didn't use the "Change Method" button (I'd rather do that from site itself), it was the "If you have any questions please reach out to (and then the link)". When I clicked that I got a "This website has been blocked deom messages" so I got suspicious/curious. 

I do still prefer Shippo for US shipping only since the rate is equal to the Level 4 same as eBay promo and I like their receipts. But within Canada eBay labels has been my current choice.

Thanks for letting me know you got the email too!

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Shippo is saying that all parcels shipped from Canada, you will no longer be able to add additional insurance, anyone else getting this?  I talked to a rep today and this is what they told me!

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

I heard back from Shippo customer service this morning. It is a real change, it is effective June 1st but they said they will allow a couple of weeks grace period. I haven't changed it yet as I want to leave it a couple more weeks if I can. recped is probably right about it being about the higher fees.

Myself I didn't use the "Change Method" button (I'd rather do that from site itself), it was the "If you have any questions please reach out to (and then the link)". When I clicked that I got a "This website has been blocked deom messages" so I got suspicious/curious. 

I do still prefer Shippo for US shipping only since the rate is equal to the Level 4 same as eBay promo and I like their receipts. But within Canada eBay labels has been my current choice.

Thanks for letting me know you got the email too!

@msau4301 

The last time I went to test (compare rates) with Shippo I was given the change method of payment with only option being CC as back up. According to the email if you want to add direct banking you need to contact Shippo for the instructions. I also need to re connect Canada Post as shipping method link all services I use. Since my last attempt it is no longer populating new orders to Shippo.

Still would prefer to use Shippo except for the discrepancy on rates. Customs has a ton more features vs the eBay Labels "version" and using the term very loosely. I'm very surprised that NO improvements have been made to it like the more detailed customs form with room for VAT paid info, email address for buyer(receiver), option if I item is undelivered to have either returned to sender or disposed of. Have never had issues with Country of Origin which is still not fixed with eBay Labels and adding additional item lines to an invoice. Messed up further by how extended weights/prices are calculated.

Will follow up once I get a response from Shippo on the final procedure for adding banking info.

-Lotz

@dolls-r-me 

Will advise if I hear back about anything different for extra insurance. 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for the update lotz, I haven't had to do a label for a few days and everything had still been the same then.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

Thanks for the update lotz, I haven't had to do a label for a few days and everything had still been the same then.

@msau4301 

@dolls-r-me 

@regs43 

@ericsells75 

Here is the official follow up from Shippo on the subjects of paying for labels & insurance.

"I do apologize as Shippo can only offer ACH billing (using a bank account to pay your invoice) with bank accounts located in the US. I'm very sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. 

Additionally, the third party company that provides insurance through Shippo - Shipsurance - does not cover shipments originating from Canada which is why the option to purchase insurance won't appear if that criteria is met. 

They are working to try and re-implement this feature into their coverage but we don't have an ETA as to when that will happen."

So definitely not optimum for many.

-Lotz

Message 11 of 11
latest reply