Anyone else having issues with contacting buyers?

For the third time in a week, i have messaged a buyer multiple times (using 'Contact Buyer' within the transaction) with no response! Seems fishy!

The first couple of times it was to clarify multiple orders... just went ahead after no response. But this time it's an address issue for something I'm planning to send lettermail. Another Toronto area postal code/ city name discrepancy!

I hit my 2 day handling time tomorrow, so if i don't hear back before heading out to ship tomorrow, I'll need to cancel the transaction!

If Contact Buyer is working fine and my buyers have just missed the messages, is there any other way i can try to reach the buyer?
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

What happens if you enter the buyer's address into Google Maps? Is it an empty field? A strip mall? An apartment building?

The one that would worry me most is an address for an apartment building with no unit number.

Some older people still refer to their communities by the pre-amalgamation names, or by the name of the larger better known community, so Don Mills instead of Toronto or Kanata instead of Ottawa or Victoria instead of Oak Bay. The map can clear up the confusion.

You can also cross reference by postal code, since most codes are a single postal walk and the carrier may know the address well even if the resident doesn't.

And if you are very concerned you can cancel without penalty using "Problem with Address".

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@teenytrinkets 

There seems to be a very large quantity of sellers and buyers that either do not check eBay mail or have eBay mail turned off in settings. Possibly understandable with sellers that sell high volumes. Either they don't have to staff to monitor or they just can't be bothered.  (Other sellers just rely on canned answers with the no option to mail). There have been times when I have responded to mail within hours of receiving a message from buyers and all I received in return was crickets. Another possibility is at one time a buyer or seller moved mail to spam and then going forward all mail goes to spam.

You can only answer mail as you receive, message as required and try to be patient waiting for a response. Especially when you are on the meter to ship. It becomes a judgement call when those spidey senses act up on any order.

Best of luck,

-Lotz

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

This is the issue with the address: the postal code for the city listed, Belleville, belongs to Trenton, and street address exists for both cities:

Belleville - K8N 3N5
Trenton - K8V 3N4

Maybe someone who knows the area can confirm if the postal code for Belleville used to be for Trenton?
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@teenytrinkets 

This is something that numerous sellers have mentioned/discovered on dot com since MP started. What to do when there is a conflict/question with an address and no way to re-bill a customer once they've paid? Only proper way to resolve is cancel order, As per address, relist and let buyer re-purchase with the correct address. IF you can get a hold of the buyer to start that process. Maybe a Please Confirm...Confirm address prior to payment is required? Along with an Are You Sure?

-Lotz

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@teenytrinkets wrote:
... If Contact Buyer is working fine and my buyers have just missed the messages, is there any other way i can try to reach the buyer?

By phone, if the buyer has provided one.

I have a friend who may get around to checking his email every month or so. Texting is his main communication method.

-..-

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Like wise, I check my email every couple of months.

The last thing I want is an eBay related phone call...
But that goes for Amazon or any other retailer also, and throw my Credit Union in there for term deposit phone calls, my ex-44yr-employer offering contracts, home insurance wanting my car insurance, Telus wanting my home services, the dentist office, Wiggins parking lot ticket scumbags, political parties, scams, spam, my mother, etc, etc, my sister, etc.

And don't leave me a voice mail.
Seeing the notification on my phone screen for a week just P's me off.

Texting is my main communication method also.
So long as the texts are not of the long-winded, I've got nothing better to do, protracted variety.

Oh, I'm sending and receiving eBay member messages just fine.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply