Anyone else having trouble with eBay's new default shipping?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure eBay thought the new shipping dropdown list would make everything easier but it seems to have a mind of its own and in my case, managed to override my shipping costs. I only lost $10 so that's not the end of the world but that's obviously not the point. I had carefully measured and weighed the parcel before setting my shipping cost, editing it in the listing and saved it. It was fine. Then I had to go in and edit something in my listings title, saved that update and didn't realize that the cursed shipping had reverted to the default shipping. Maybe I should have checked but we shouldn't have to do that. I'm pretty careful with my listings but it never occurred to me that the shipping would revert when I made a change in the listing. Has this happened to anyone else? Obviously it's something I'll be careful about in the future but I'm pretty annoyed right now.

eBay, if you are going to make changes like this to our listing procedure, then for goodness sake make sure your systems isn't going to override our settings and cost us money.

That said, if anyone has a suggestion for what I may have done wrong to make this happen, I'm willing to listen so it doesn't happen again. I never overcharge customers for shipping and don't mind taking a loss when it's my own fault (well I mind of course but I don't blame anyone else) but when eBay changes the system so it costs us money, that's not really okay.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

The most important wording in each listing is....

Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

The seller  can say... No thank you...  and never use the default.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @Anonymous - apologies that I'm just getting to this, but would you mind getting me some more detail about what you've been encountering? 

Shipping options shouldn't be overriding your choice, and I want to make sure I understand exactly what's happening before I raise it up the flagpole. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

As far as I know there is no new 'default shipping' so I'm curious what is happening in your case.  You seem to be using  flat rates and a generic shipping method so how is it being changed? Is this on your US or .ca listings?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER reply on eBay to do your job(s), Period!!  I wouldn't trust eBay at all, so we rather do it ourselves to protect ourselves.   Remember eBay is in USA, they don't know the heck about Canada postal rates.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi Tyler, I am so sorry it took so long to get back to you but thank you for responding. When we post a listing, there is a list of shipping rates supplied by eBay which I suppose could be handy but I prefer to choose my shipping rates manually. Anyway, I've been using this new way (it's new to me, maybe when they changed the seller's dashboard thingy a while back?) But, if I go back into my listing to edit anything, like maybe the title or the price or my own description, the shipping rate which I edited for that listing will default back to eBay's price, a flat rate.

I had listed a tablet for sale and after carefully measuring and weighing the parcel, I had changed the shipping from eBay's flat rate of $25. to the actual cost of $35. Then I went back in a couple of days later and changed something, I think it was the price of the item. I didn't realize the shipping had changed itself back to $25. So, yeah I only lost $10 but still, it was $10.

So now I know if I edit the listing at all, check that shipping rate because it will change itself back to the flat rate. It just happened again a few minutes ago but I caught it.

Someone suggested not using that system but I didn't see an option to make that choice.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply