Are We Allowed To Have A Buyer Send Their Own Shipping Label?

I have a buyer in Canada who wants to buy my old laptop. But he wants to send me his own shipping label through a courier like CanPar, UPS or Purolator.  How does that work for me to be covered?  Don't I have to use Canada Post Expedited with their tracking number?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Just relisting my question as it disappeared. Tyler has sent a whole bunch of old threads to the top of the discussion board.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

As long as you can confirm the 'deliver to' address matches the 'payment from' address, I should think it's fine. Make sure you upload tracking though and make sure there's nothing funny about billing/payment details not matching the 'ship to' details.

It could simply be that this guy can get better rates than what he'd need to pay you and this is his method of taking advantage of it. After all, on large items, buyers do arrange their own freight.

Unless this is like the Oldest Trick in the Book but I've just never heard of it.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Actually, it could be a scam. There was a rash of scams where people who had access to accounts for shipping would abuse them by buying big ticket items and providing a label. To be safe, especially if it is an amount between 100+ I would ship as you normally do. That way you are in control of the transaction.

What if something is wrong with the label and it's fake or is redirected (remember you are not the shipper if you didn't make the label) and they claim non delivery even though they redirected it?

Don't trust it.

Update: Read here, https://www.paypal.com/us/brc/article/common-ecommerce-scams-to-avoid I'm sure PayPal would not cover you if this happened.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

No.

He pays you.

You use his payment to buy a shipping service that is secure for YOU.

The scam can be that he has access to shipping labels at work.

He sends you one, you use it.

He gets the package.

Then the bookkeeper at work tries to find the shipment attached to the label, fails and has the shipping company refund them.

And the shipping company comes after you for the cost of shipping.

You choose the service.

Frankly if someone asks for this, I would spring the extra buck fifty for a Signature Confirmation.

And check the address on Google Maps.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for all your comments.  I told the other buyer I was not comfortable doing what he asked. As it turned out I got a better offer for my laptop from another buyer.  And I will ship with tracking & insurance & signature through Canada Post Expedited.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Sounds good! Plus, I appreciated the other posters who joined the thread to say they saw shadiness in the request where I did not. Very interesting.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I keep telling you I am old and grouchy.

And get off my lawn, kid!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Haha, yes ma’am.

Being as risk-intolerant/averse as I admit I am, I usually see the angles of a scam where none may exist but I really hadn’t considered those. So now I’ll add them to my repertoire of warnings in the Spot The Red Flag Almanac!
Message 9 of 9
latest reply