Buyer Requested Cancellation of Order

As a Store Seller on Ebay.ca I feel that we pay subscription & final value fees which are acceptable.

An issue that I have found with Cancelling an Order from a Buyer's Request is that Ebay does not refund the entire transaction to the Seller.  The Buyer receives their full refund while the Seller is not refunded the $.30 plus taxes for the Final Value Order Fee.  This makes no logical sense as the Buyer requested the cancellation and the Seller is fullfilling a request.  The cancellation does not cost Ebay any monies as this is an automated system process without any human intervention.  There was no sale therefore we as Sellers should receive our full monies in return.  I would like to know how other Sellers feel about paing for something out of their control.

I have asked to speak to a Manager at Ebay and am still waiting for a response.  I hope other Sellers will back me on issue as we as Sellers generate the revenue for Ebay therefore should not be charged monies for circumstances out of our control.

Your truly,

mckicalgry

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@mckicalgry 

I just had one the other day to the UK. According to the buyer they received their refund a few minutes after I agreed to it. My refund was short on the Canadian taxes as you've noted. Because there was VAT involved the amount was included in the numbers but does not technically display that it was refunded by eBay. The refund displayed as 2 lines. 1 For the Intl Fee, 2nd for the FVF's. According to eBay the refunds can take 24/48 hours to process. Mine arrived in a little over 24 hours. In speaking to an agent for clarification(and the official link) I passed on my concerns on how these are being handled. Most likely fell on deaf ears. Keep us posted please if you get some kind of a response from a Manager but don't be holding your breath while you wait.

For the why's and wherefore's of refunds see attached.

Fee credits | eBay

-Lotz

PS. As a side note. Promoted listing fees show up as a separate single charge. Why not itemize together as 1 transaction? Same should process should be applied for refunds to sellers!!

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I agree - the transaction fee not being refunded after cancelling a paid order doesn't make sence. But if you look at it from eBay's point of view, they look at it as "the cost of doing business" and using their platforms. I still don't agree though that we as buyers should take on a loss (even though it's only $.30) for providing good customer service, especially at the customer's request. 

The only time you wouldn't have to pay the fixed-item fee is if the order is cancelled PRIOR to paying for their order. 

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/fee-credits?id=4128

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

For what it's worth PayPal never refunded the 30 cent fixed fee either and as of the last year or two PayPal didn't refund ANY of the fees if you cancelled an order that had been paid for.

Sure everyone would  like a full refund but seriously, over the course of a year how much money are we talking about?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

The cancellation does not cost Ebay any monies as this is an automated system process without any human intervention.

Basically that 30c plus GST (31.5c total) is a non-refundable fee just for being there.

I suppose there is a fee for using their intellectual property.

As recped points out the same fee was charged by Paypal until they decided not to refund any of their fees on a cancelled payment.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

That was the same with PayPal.  They kept that minor fee.

There's costs of doing business, this is one of them and a VERY MINOR one.

If you feel it's fraud feel free to contact the CAFC https://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/index-eng.htm

They are extremely helpful and they are aware of eBay policies that conflict with Canadian laws.   However they are a branch of the RCMP, you can only contact them if you are an honest seller and an honest tax payer. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply