Buyer bought item 2 months ago - now says defective

Hi!

I sold a 160$ battery to a US buyer exactly 2 months ago.

He is now contacting me saying he's unable to get the battery to work and would like a replacement sent.

I do have a return policy but we're way passed the dead-line.

Also, these batteries cost ~50$ just to ship to his address so I'm really not to inclined and having these shipped back and forth.

I informed the buyer we were unfortunately passed the return limit and to contact the manufacturer.

He says they weren't of any help and that he wouldn't want to leave any bad Yelp (??) reviews and simply want his replacement.

What would you do? I sure don't want to end up with a negative feedback because of this but cannot afford to send another 160$ battery and pay another 50$ shipping. 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Basically if he paid via paypal he has a 6 month warranty from you if he wants to file a claim. Even if he did not he would still have the right to leave feedback as he sees fit. Not fair...but we don't make the rules/ My brother stopped selling used computers  and laptops here for just that reason.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Yes but if he open the claim via PayPal he need to return the merchandise at his cost .
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

What would happen if the buyer left a negative feedback saying I refused to provide a replacement after 2 months?

Could I defend my case with eBay and possibly have it removed?

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

i believe buyer only has 60 days to leave feedback.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@vip-marketplace wrote:

What would happen if the buyer left a negative feedback saying I refused to provide a replacement after 2 months?

Could I defend my case with eBay and possibly have it removed?

The buyer has only 60 days "to the second" from when the listing ended to leave any feedback.  Meaning if this is about the Earthwise Cordless Lawn Mower battery bought on Nov 15 it is now too late for feedback on eBay.  

On eBay they only have 30 days after the last estimated delivery date to start a claim.  It sounds like that date would be long gone.  

He still has until about the middle of May to open a Not As Described with PayPal but if he does that you accept the return and wait for the buyer to mail it back.  On PayPal a buyer has 180 days for a claim but has to pay any return shipping charges themselves.  

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I'm going to wade right in here and ask an unrelated question but what the heck is this guy doing cutting his lawn in the middle of wintertime? And does he realize batteries don't hold a charge as well when it's -45 degrees Celsius?

I would stick to my guns and politely refuse to send a replacement. It's not your job to do that. You have no idea what he's been doing with that battery this whole time. If a paypal claim is opened, yes, he will have to return it at his expense and you will have no choice but to accept it as an Item Not As Described, probably, and issue a refund for the full purchase price.

But feedback is not relevant on any item sold Nov. 15 at this point. Product Reviews are just that. We have no control whatsoever about what gets written about those. I had a buyer leave three stars for a purchase as a product review saying only he didn't understand currency conversion. I don't sell coins, for the record, this was a toy. 

I feel for the guy who has a battery that doesn't work but it's his trouble, not yours. You sold it in good faith. I bought a toy in the summer to give to my son at Christmas and it immediately broke. The manufacturer told me to go blow and I'm five months past recourse with the seller. This means I buy another or fix it myself. These are the breaks, we all face them as consumers. I blame the manufacturer in my case for making a crummy product, not the seller. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I had a buyer leave three stars for a purchase as a product review saying only he didn't understand currency conversion. I don't sell coins, for the record, this was a toy. 

He/she is talking about the CDN/USD conversion and not about being a coin. 

Since the buyer needs to send the item back at his own expense, it will need to be sent back with a Tracking Number so there is proof of delivery otherwise the OP will win the PayPal claim. 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@silverdreamfilm wrote:

I had a buyer leave three stars for a purchase as a product review saying only he didn't understand currency conversion. I don't sell coins, for the record, this was a toy. 

He/she is talking about the CDN/USD conversion and not about being a coin. 

Since the buyer needs to send the item back at his own expense, it will need to be sent back with a Tracking Number so there is proof of delivery otherwise the OP will win the PayPal claim. 

Oh, I know. But his confusion about currencies has nothing whatsoever to do with the Product he was supposed to be reviewing. 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I'm going to wade right in here and ask an unrelated question but what the heck is this guy doing cutting his lawn in the middle of wintertime? And does he realize batteries don't hold a charge as well when it's -45 degrees Celsius?

It's in the 60's and 70's F in most of the southern US today (and that's lower than normal)

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Temperature/HighToday.aspx

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

My friend lives in Georgia. She's not lawn-cutting; she's tobogganing. There's snow there too.
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I doubt there is in snow in all of Georgia, it was 21c today in Atlanta

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I saw it with mine own eyes. Last week, video of her sledding down the hill, snow on the shrubbery at her place. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

http://www.ajc.com/weather/atlanta-snow-power-outages-downed-trees-icy-conditions-reported/0C360NT1a...

Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 10.57.14 PM.png

Sheesh, ha ah. If I was going to start making up tall tales, I'd start with one better than it-snowed-in-Georgia. 

Like maybe you'd like to buy some lovely swamp land in Florida? 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I never said you were making up anything.  I had no idea where in Georgia you were referring to.and I said that there could not be snow everywhere there right now.   Plus, I am referring to today, not 9 days ago and with temps of 21 and 22C it is very unlikely that Atlanta has snow right now. Google it if you don't believe me. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply