Buyer in the UK has requested a payment total, but I don't offer shipping to Europe.

Hey all, 

Just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar, for this has come off as odd to me. I'm selling a pair of expensive sneakers and I received an email from the buyer asking that I send him a payment total. His whole email read out like some form of scam; something about him being in another country at the moment, but for me to email him the "exact condition" of the shoes have them sent out to an address in the UK. My posting only offers shipping to Canada and the US, so I'm wondering how he was able to "purchase" my item, although I have no received any payment yet. The buyer also has over 500 positive ratings on the platform, which makes this even more weird. 

I don't want to ship the shoes out to Europe, and I told him that the listing never initially offered that service either. Any advice on how I should proceed? 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Buyer in the UK has requested a payment total, but I don't offer shipping to Europe.

Tell him politely that you do not ship outside North America, and then cancel the transaction as "problem with address".

The reason is very important. That one will not give you a Defect.

You reallllllly don't want a Defect.

posting only offers shipping to Canada and the US, so I'm wondering how he was able to "purchase" my item,

You probably have not Blocked shipping to other countries.

This is one step beyond actively giving a shipping fee for Canada and USA.

At the moment someone in Burkino Fasa probably can see and bid on your item.

although I have no received any payment yet.

If you are told you have been paid, go to your Paypal account and see if the money is there.

As a new seller, your customer's cleared payments will be Held, but that is not the same thing.

buyer also has over 500 positive ratings

How long ago was the last one left? Is there a noticeable gap between FB left?

That would be a sign of a hijacked account.

I told him that the listing never initially offered that service either.

Be prepared for wheedling.

Sneakers are one of those high value/high fraud categories.

With your low feedback you are unlikely to be trusted by experienced buyers.

You may want to consider doing some buying to build your FB and also add more inexpensive, easily shipped items that you are no longer using. (Tee shirts? Books? Video games? Fine china?)

Best wishes in your new endeavour.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Hmm so the buyer registered the eBay account in Canada or US but is currently abroad? Just tell him (like you already did) that you will only ship to Canada and US, and that you cannot send them internationally. Tell them they can either provide a CA/US address for you to ship to. If they can’t, then you can cancel the order and select “problem with buyer’s address” as the reason so that you can recover your FVF fees.

It does sound scam-ish because you’re a new seller with limited feedback score, so you might look more attractive to scammers lol
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for your help. I didn't know about being able to block certain buyers. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

It is not enough just to say ships to  Canada and United States in listings.

You must go through the process of excluding shipping locations..

Start at Account  at the top left of the My eBay page....

Account > Selling Preferences > Shipping Preferences > Exclude shipping locations.....

and this is where a seller excludes all countries  except Canada and the US

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Or, they can just go to account - site preferences - buyer requirements and then check off

'block buyers who have a primary shipping address in a location that I don't ship to"

That  also blocks all buyers that are not in the countries that you state you do ship to and it isn't necessary to show a long list of countries/continents on each listing.

I do it that way as for some of my listings I will ship worldwide without any exceptions and for other listings I ship worldwide but do block some countries on those specific listings.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply