Buyer wants to return while the shipment is en route to its destination

Hi,

I recently sold a purse on Jan 2nd and the estimated date of arrival is Jan 10th. However, buyer wants to return the item due to it being "taking too long." The funds are currently being held on paypal. What is the best course of action for me? Do I just wait for the item to be returned to me to refund the buyer?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Once a package is in route, unfortunately, there is nothing a sender can really do. The buyer can mark "Return to sender" and it would be at your expense. This has become an all too common occurrence. Buyers wanting to back out of purchases on a whim. In the past, bidding or buying now was a commitment to a seller. This is no longer the case with lame buyers remorse cases. Very sad. The only thing you can suggest is your noted delivery time schedule does NOT include weekends and if they could please be patient, it should be there very shortly. Have you followed up with canadapost tracking to confirm when expected delivery should be?

-Lotz

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

you have a couple of options,  it sounds like a remorse bid, where they don't want it now, so they would be responsible to return it to you on their own dime, otherwise you can just tell them to not open it and mark it return to sender,  then when you receive it back, not opened, and if you get charged return postage fees, then you deduct the shipping amount from their refund.. otherwise if they have opened a case to return the item you may have to provide a return shipping label. we would need a few more details to nail this down for you,

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

The buyer claims that she never got the item when in fact the tracking says it was delivered today.

I even had signature on delivery so I know that she is lying. What do I do? Please help.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Ok so I called Ebay and they told me I should just reply to whatever message the buyer sends me and call back in 3 days when they can step in. They said I have nothing to worry about because I have tracking and  signature on delivery. I saved the pdf of the delivery confirmation signature of the buyer from Canada Post just in case it gets deleted later.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

This sounds messy and unpleasant with which to deal. Calling eBay Customer Service was the right thing to do; be sure to follow their instructions to the letter, and best of luck to you.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Don't forget to add this buyer to your blocked list, you don't want to deal with them again.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Do NOT refund until you have the purchase back in your hands
If he marks it Return to Sender it will be very low riority for the postal system. It may not arrive for months.
I believe when a buyer refuses a delivery that he is no longer allowed to use the money Back Guarantee. Could someone confirm?
Message 8 of 8
latest reply