.CA Selling on .COM. Where to Subscribe?

Hello,

With a .CA account selling on .COM (without a store subscription), to continue selling on .COM with a store subscription, does one subscribe on .COM OR .CA? Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks.
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

You can sell on any eBay site worldwide from your Canadian account.

If you are registered in Canada, you will have a dotCA account.

Your Managed Payments account, which allows eBay to transfer your customer payments to your bank, must be with a Canadian bank.

Before you start selling, set up the MP account.

EBay needs government issued ID (I used my passport, DH his driving license) and contact information for your checking account.

Many sellers set up a new checking account seperate from their personal accounts for online selling.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Great, thanks. This is helpful.
So if I subscribe to a store on .ca, the items in that store are able to be listed on .com in USD with the same amount of free insertion fees, etc?
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

The fees are similar but there are some differences in categories but overall it will be similar.   Note that if you have not set up Managed Payments yet, you have to choose which currency to accept payment in - either CDN or US dollars.  That is a one time, lifetime decision and you cannot switch currencies later.   

So if you choose CDN, all .com listings in US$ will be paid in US$ and eBay will convert them to CDN dollars for payout to your account.   Conversley, if you choose US$ any .ca listings in CDN$ will be converted to US$ for payout.   It is an important decision as it is a one time thing.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Conversley, if you choose US$ any .ca listings in CDN$ will be converted to US$ for payout.

And remember about currency exchange.

You only want to pay it ONCE.

Does your bank change US payments into loonies when they arrive and then back into USD when the money goes into a USD account?

The current exchange rate is about one loonie to 75c USD.

Shipping is the hardest part of selling except for understanding currency exchange.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Yiu would open a store on .ca and list on either site. Since you haven't sold in a while you will have selling limits so there is no point in paying for a store until you are allowed enough listings to fill a store.  Even without a store you won't have  insertion fees until you have listed more than 250 listings in a month unless you have upgrades.  

You will need a $US chequing account at a Canadian bank if you want your funds deposited in $US.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@chakkaron wrote:
Hello,

With a .CA account selling on .COM (without a store subscription), to continue selling on .COM with a store subscription, does one subscribe on .COM OR .CA? Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

You can use the Store for listings created on either site.

You definitely want to sign up for a Store on .ca BECAUSE IT IS CHEAPER!!!! by quite a bit.

Basic Store - .ca monthly fee with no commitment CA$24.95

Basic Store - .com monthly fee no commitment US$27.95 @ 1.37 xchange rate = CA$38.29

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply