CRA Income Tax Statement from eBay/Paypal

ducretwangler
Community Member

Heh All

This is the first year I expect to receive an income tax CRA statement from Paypal.
Just wondering when I should be receiving it and how it is sent ie. email, regular mail and also what information it contains.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Neither Paypal nor ebay send out any type of statement related to income tax. The information that you provide to Canada Revenue should be from your own records. Some of the information that you need will be in your Paypal history and ebay seller's account.

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

the CRA is not  a government agency.............

Mr Harper says..............

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

ducretwangler
Community Member

Soooo, this is not the same as the US where paypal is required to issue a 1099 to the the seller and IRS?

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

You are in the United States.

Paypal will send you a 1099 if you had more than 200 transactions or transfered more than $20,000 US.

Do you realize you are on the Canadian eBay site ?

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

ducretwangler
Community Member

Nope. I'm in Canada. Ship from the US.

Does Paypal Canada not issue a statement of sales like the US? 

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

No they don't.

You are on the honour system to report it.

🙂

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

Nope. I'm in Canada. Ship from the US.

Does Paypal Canada not issue a statement of sales like the US? 

According to post # 1 paypal does not issue a statement in Canada.

According to your ID you are in the USA

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

Paypal and Ebay may not give a seller a statement of what the seller sold and received via Paypal, but if the CRA auditor shows up he has all that information on his laptop.

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

If a Canadian seller has more than $20,000 annual sales... CRA will be notified  by eBay....

In the US it is Paypal that sends a 1099.  The difference is Paypal in the US and eBay in Canada.

Paypal data includes shipping cost... Not so with eBay Canada....

If you live in Canada you are a Canadian seller....  I know of several sellers of books that deliver sales to the USPS ...

If you are a registered business in the US.... and also Canada, things could  be different, even if you live in Canada.

You then need professional advice... someone who knows the Canadian as well as the US tax system

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

ducretwangler
Community Member

Thank you cumos55.

I wasn't aware of the difference between the US and Canada revenue reporting. I was hopeing the tax statement would simplify my calculations this year. Guess not.

Regarding

"According to your ID you are in the USA

Your ID location indicates where you ship from, not your eBay personal registration information. 

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

ducretwangler
Community Member

Whoops.

toby_le_pure.  Ignore my response in post 10. You are correct. I forgot that I registered this posting ID in the US. Sorry.

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

ducretwangler
Community Member

Very nice selection of books cumos55.

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

" I was hopeing the tax statement would simplify my calculations this year"

eBay and PayPal have no ways to calculate your taxable profit. Most sellers have more than one source of revenue and, often, more than one method of receiving payment.

Since you live in Canada, the only tax return you need to file is with Revenue Canada.

You are expected to show your worldwide sales (including shipping charge) in Cdn$ (including the sales originating in the USA) as Business Income (Gross) on line 162 of your return

and your net profit (after deducting cost of goods and related expenses) on line 135

Only the Net Income (line 135) is added to your other income to arrive at your total income and, eventually, your taxable income.

Many years ago, I prepared this P&L Statement sample for Canadian eBay sellers.  Feel free to adapt it to your needs:

http://www.pierrelebel.com/lists/P&L-sample.htm 

There is no need to register with GST/HST until your worldwide annual sales (including shipping charge) reach $30,000.  Many sellers on the other hand see a benefit in registering with GST/HST even with a much smaller level of revenue.

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

ducretwangler
Community Member

Thank you Pierre. I've been using your P&L statement for the past couple of years as a template for my eBay sales.

On a side note Pierre. I work in Belleville and am not looking forward to the drive on the 401 tonight.

Message 15 of 34
latest reply

I've been using the information Pierre has posted for a couple of years also.

Very helpful.

Message 16 of 34
latest reply

Hi Pierre,

Just wondering if you had a similar experience when starting your small business... I'm a license plate collector of many years, but now I'm switching to a dealer and starting to sell them. When starting my buisness this past Jan 1st, 2013 I have license plates from my personal collection that I want to transfer for sale to my business (accumulated over 4 years). I think I need to transfer them at FMV but not sure if they need to go in Cost of Goods (Inventory) or as an asset transfer. I'm a sole propietorship and will have under $30k in sales in any given year (ie: won't be charging HST/GST).

I thought you might have had a similar process when you started. Feel free to e-mail me directly (if you have time)!

Many thanks,

Eric (Ottawa).

Message 17 of 34
latest reply

"you might have had a similar process when you started"

Not really.

I got in the stamp business in 1987 by purchasing inventory from dealers and philatelic auction houses. I never mixed personal and business "stuff" as it gets messy from a tax point-of-view.

Since your annual sales are expected to be below $30,000, you do not need to worry about HST/GST yet.

From a income tax perspective, you should keep two sets of books -

1) old inventory you purchased as a collector and being sold this year - such sales do not require to be reported on your personal tax return (unless an item sells for more than $1,000 but that is another story)

2) new inventory purchased for the business - such sales will need to be reported on your annual income tax return

There is no point in "transferring" ownership of your "personal" plates to yiour business.

Good Luck.

Message 18 of 34
latest reply

Thanks for your comments Pierre - much appreciated!

Eric.

Message 19 of 34
latest reply

I actually had one more question. Apart from eBay, Antique Dealers and Auction Houses, a lot of my inventory purchases will be made at flea markets and garage sales in cash transactions. I'm sure this happens with stamps as well. CRA is pretty clear that it wants receipts for all business transactions. In my experience, it's very unlikely a flea market or garage sale vendor is going to give a receipt (or look at me sideways if asked). Short of creating a detailed log book for these buisness purchases, does anyone have any ideas? I want to be honest with CRA (not looking to hide anything), and don't think I should take a hit for cash purchases since they are legit.

Thanks

Message 20 of 34
latest reply