Can someone explain this?

I sold an item on ebay.com for US $ to a US buyer and I get paid in US$.  The item sold for $12.99 plus 4.75 shipping for a total of $17.74.  That is $3.28 in fees and I haven't even paid for shipping.  I paid 2 final value fees, I assume on the item and shipping but what is this international fee?     Am I missing something?

interfee.jpg

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Here is how I understand it:

-regular FVF = $2.88  (after tax)

-32c = 30c per item fee (after tax)

-8c is 0.004 % for the international (to US, other countries is 1% I think) fee (after tax).

I noticed the 0.004% because it got tagged onto a Canadian that bought $800ish off me because it said they were registered in the US. Turns out their ID is registered in the US, but they're now living in Canada.

Someone else will probably provide the official names or corrections for me.

I think the thing that makes it look worse is that everything is all together now, when we saw the pieces separated into eBay and PAYPAL it didn't seem as large. Its all the little bits that makes it expensive to sell "small" things, that's why I don't list anything below $10 anymore.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Yeah, the "International" fee is based on where the Buyer is registered instead of the shipping address. I had a recent shipment to Saskatchewan for someone registered in the Russian Federation.

It does not make much logical sense. It should be based on what currency the Buyer used to pay.

"International" rate for Canadian-registered Sellers is: 0.4% for USA-based buyers, 1% for the rest.

The rate for an American-registered Seller is: 1.65% for non-USA Buyers (including GSP)

-;-

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

I sold an item on ebay.com for US $ to a US buyer and I get paid in US$.  The item sold for $12.99 plus 4.75 shipping for a total of $17.74.  That is $3.28 in fees and I haven't even paid for shipping.  I paid 2 final value fees, I assume on the item and shipping but what is this international fee?     Am I missing something?

interfee.jpg

In viewing your recent example it appears the order value(Sell Price + Tax + Shipping) is omitted from the line details.

It looks  like the display for how the fees show vary betweet dot ca and dot com. This is now what I am seeing for a recent transaction on dot ca on a sale to a US buyer.

MP Fee details.JPG

Much of the confusion is caused by how they show the order value including shipping, any discount for FVF's(Originally any discount for FVF's was shown as an amount built into  line for sold item) . How they factor tax makes it even messier.  Tax should be based on the total. Not each line item with the amounts rounded up. (This is what I've seen witnessed with the previous incarnations of these charges.)

From my experience with MP I'm up to 3 variations as to how these fees have displayed during my 3 + months in the progam. In doing a check of all my older transactions, they have been updated to the display as shown above. Probably doesn't answer your question. Just adds to any confusion. MP is looking like a neverending work in progress. What you see now is not what you will get....Indefinitely or milage may vary.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@musicyouneed wrote:

but what is this international fee?     Am I missing something?

PayPal charges international fees as well but they're more buried in their fee schedule.  I can't recall if they're charged based on the currency used or the buyer's address, though.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@musicyouneed wrote:

but what is this international fee?     Am I missing something?

PayPal charges international fees as well but they're more buried in their fee schedule.  I can't recall if they're charged based on the currency used or the buyer's address, though.

PayPal's International fee is based on the registered location of the buyer just the same as MP. Shipping address or type of payment or currency used by the buyer are not relevant at all.

More buried is an understatement, it's shocking how many sellers had no idea this fee existed (it has since FOREVER) until MP came along and made the cross-border fee a seperate line item.

FYI - When I opened my credit card merchant accounts in the late 70's the cross border fees were applied even then. When a tourist came to my store and made a purchase with a non-Canadian credit card the extra fee was charged.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@musicyouneed 

When I originally enrolled in MP there was an invoice for store fees around the 15th/16th of each month. Funds were pulled from PayPal either the last day of that month or first day of next month..mostly because of timing. With MP there is no guarantee there will be funds in Pending/For payout at that time. This month received a notice around the 18th...A financial statement of sorts. Still digesting or trying to make heads or tails of it. Nothing in way of the usual invoice for store fees. This is how it displayed in Payouts.

Store Fees.JPG

Store Fees Detail.JPG

Funds for store fees were removed from pending on June 17th as "detailed" automagically.

Originally all etc charges were going to be attached to the monthly invoice. That was kayboshed 1 month after enrolling. Posted this mostly for reference purposes and/or entertainment value.

Back to your regular programming.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 7
latest reply