Cancellation Request

noxitide
Community Member

Hey,

Just had an auction finish, the winning bidder paid but now has buyer's remorse (their dog just went to the vet, etc.). How can I refund them and offer the item to the next highest bidder?

Thanks so much

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Cancellation Request

noxitide
Community Member

Figured it out. Send a second chance offer to the next highest bidder then cancelled the order and refunded. Hopefully I don't get nailed by the final value fee for this ...

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Cancellation Request

if you cancelled through eBay you will get back your fvf but you won’t get refunded any PayPal fees.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Cancellation Request

Has paypal already started keeping all the fees over the first 30 cents for Canadian paypal accounts yet? What was the start date for this?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Cancellation Request

Yes.  I think that it was mid July.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Cancellation Request

After re-reading the current (July 31, 2020) paypal.ca agreement

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full

It looks like the variable fee is still refunded for a goods or services transaction when the Seller makes a refund. But the variable fee may be kept if the payment was invalidated or reversed by paypal.

Anyone make a paypal refund this month?

-..-

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Cancellation Request

I'm confused...

An update from March states:

We are establishing that if merchants refund (partially or fully) a transaction to a buyer or a donation to a donor, there are no fees to make the refund, but the fees originally paid by the merchant will not be returned.  This change will become effective on May 19, 2020.

(I thought that was delayed until July but I can't see that stated anywhere)

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/archive-policies-full

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Cancellation Request

I did make a refund this month for a difference in shipping. And I refunded an amount and it said that the refund was like ... 8.67 and then fees 0.34 or something like that. I didn’t know what it meant.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Cancellation Request

@noxitide wrote:
I did make a refund this month for a difference in shipping. And I refunded an amount and it said that the refund was like ... 8.67 and then fees 0.34 or something like that. ...

The 0.34 would be a refund of the paypal variable fee (3.9% of 8.67)

-..-

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Cancellation Request

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I'm confused...

An update from March states:

We are establishing that if merchants refund (partially or fully) a transaction to a buyer or a donation to a donor, there are no fees to make the refund, but the fees originally paid by the merchant will not be returned.  This change will become effective on May 19, 2020.

(I thought that was delayed until July but I can't see that stated anywhere)

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/archive-policies-full

I was sort of confused as well. I know from what went on in the USA that the non-refundable PayPal fee thing was coming and I expected it to hit Canada in April or May. I didn't follow the announcements so just expected what I did.

I do a few refunds for shipping discounts, kept waiting for one to not give me back my PayPal fees but they all have up to and including last Friday.

I expect to be in MP pretty soon on one of my id's so I no longer really care what PayPal does or doesn't do. I do plan to enjoy the refund of eBay fees which will include the Item FVF as well. This will make partial refunds both easy AND come at no cost in "lost" fees of any sort.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply