Cancelled Orders - Paypal Now Charging Fee?

I've recently had 3 cancelled orders in the past couple of weeks (all buyer requests due to mistakes or buyer's remorse) - and each time I've refunded, PayPal has kept 30 cents.  I don't recall having to pay a fee previously - maybe I just haven't noticed?

As if they don't suck as dry already with all the fees on sales....I just don't understand how having to refund and relist due to the buyer's request should cost sellers money...shouldn't that have to come from the buyer?!  Say, just like some stores charge a re-stocking fee?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@teenytrinkets wrote:

I've recently had 3 cancelled orders in the past couple of weeks (all buyer requests due to mistakes or buyer's remorse) - and each time I've refunded, PayPal has kept 30 cents.  I don't recall having to pay a fee previously - maybe I just haven't noticed?

PayPal currently charges a 30  cent non-refundable fee plus a fee that is percentage of the money.  I can find complaints about the 30 cent non-refundable fee going back to 2010 (that's a far back as I looked).

PayPal attempted to change the rules and keep both fees this year from American registered Sellers when doing refunds. There was considerable uproar about this, and PayPal appears to have pulled back. This change in rules did not apply to the Canadian side of PayPal.

-..-

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

They keep the 30 cents.

They did the job and get paid for it.

For the Scripture saith, “Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn,” and, “The laborer is worthy of his reward.”   1Timothy: 5:18
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

The 30 cent fee being kept is how it has been as long as I can recall.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@teenytrinkets wrote:

PayPal currently charges a 30  cent non-refundable fee plus a fee that is percentage of the money.  I can find complaints about the 30 cent non-refundable fee going back to 2010 (that's a far back as I looked).

PayPal attempted to change the rules and keep both fees this year from American registered Sellers when doing refunds. There was considerable uproar about this, and PayPal appears to have pulled back. This change in rules did not apply to the Canadian side of PayPal.

-..-

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Hmmm...strange that I haven't noticed.  Although, most of my "refunds" have been for sent money (not sales) that didn't have fees in the first place.

I guess my point is, if a buyer initiates the cancellation because they've changed their mind or through their own error, the buyer should lose the 30 cents - not the seller...

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

In a perfect world I suppose.

But using PP for payment processing is the choice of the seller.

We hire PP.

So we pay them.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@teenytrinkets wrote:

Hmmm...strange that I haven't noticed.  Although, most of my "refunds" have been for sent money (not sales) that didn't have fees in the first place.

I guess my point is, if a buyer initiates the cancellation because they've changed their mind or through their own error, the buyer should lose the 30 cents - not the seller...

Every merchant has to deal with this type of thing, in a retail situation there is no way to lay it off on the buyer.

I don't really like to use an old cliche but in this case "cost of doing business" is absolutely accurate. Your margins on fishing stuff should be good enough to withstand these rare events.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply