Check the weights on your PayPal lable carefully

Two days ago I printed out a PayPal label. When I checked it the package weight was a kilo more than the actual weight. I changed it with a pen thinking I must have made a typo.

Today the same thing happened and I did not notice it until had already paid and saw the draft on screen - there was no way to go back and change it.

There is no way I make that mistake two times in a row.

I suspect that I may have paid more than necessary although the price is a combination of weight and price.

I am going to email PayPal and report this.

I recommend that you check your weights before you hit the pay button and then check the print out as well. If you are also experiencing a problem - get on to PayPal as well.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Awhile back, I reported it to paypal who put me through to Canada Post who told me it was a 'known' issue. It applies only to domestic shipments printed with Expedited Service as far I can tell. I wish they had simply said, 'it's supposed to be that way' or whatever they needed to say to set my mind at ease. Obviously, it does not pose any kind of problem because I've sent likely 50 parcels with that increased weight and none have been flagged as being problematic.  

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@rosscd57 wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Awhile back, I reported it to paypal who put me through to Canada Post who told me it was a 'known' issue. It applies only to domestic shipments printed with Expedited Service as far I can tell. I wish they had simply said, 'it's supposed to be that way' or whatever they needed to say to set my mind at ease. Obviously, it does not pose any kind of problem because I've sent likely 50 parcels with that increased weight and none have been flagged as being problematic.  

Thanks for this reply - for a while there I thought I was going crazy as no one seemed to agree. You are right - they were  Expedited parcels - but not domestic they went to the USA.

I am still concerned about the additional weight a and Mr. Elmwood not withstanding - I think it could drive the price up and by the way according to my local Post Office manager their computerized formula, he did not use the word algorithm, for packages that will make you pay the higher price for either volume or weight - depending of course on the actual weight and size.

It's not an issue, it is simply the way that Canada Post charges for xpresspost, expedited and regular parcel.   As mentioned, if the dimensional weight is more than the actual weight of the package, you will pay more and the label will reflect the dimensional weight.

A 560 gram package that is 15 x15x15 cm has a dimensional weight of .563 grams so you are going to pay the 560 gram weight. The weight on the label will say 560 grams

A 560 gram package that is 30x30x15cm has a dimensional weight of 2.25kg  so you are going to pay the 2.25kg rate. The weight on the label will say 2.25kg.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

tobyshitzu
Community Member

It adjusts the weight to the volumetric weight

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

That was always like that. I put yesterday 0.250, the label shows 0.400. But what is the problem? You are not charged more for this. It probably shows the max. weight allowed for that price.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

You mean to tell me that it changes the weight by a Kilo and a half - I really doubt it.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@rosscd57 wrote:

You mean to tell me that it changes the weight by a Kilo and a half - I really doubt it.

Check it yourself, the formula can be found here:

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGabcmail-e.asp#1378832

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

BINGO! Issue resolved! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Dimensional weight will show.

length X height X width ÷ 6000 = dimensional weight

You are paying for the space you use, not just the weight. This is why making parcels smaller can be critical. Do not ship empty space as it costs money.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@38e_avenue wrote:

That was always like that. I put yesterday 0.250, the label shows 0.400. But what is the problem? You are not charged more for this. It probably shows the max. weight allowed for that price.

You may be charge significantly more for the volumetric weight than the actual weight.

Think of shipping a large Tupperware bowl. It weighs very little (say 1 lkg) but because of it's dimensions, you require a large box and are charged for 5 kg.

Always know the volumetric charge prior to quoting for shipping.

If you use the metric system: Length x Width x Depth (all in cm) divided by 6000, equals Kilograms. To find pounds, multiply Kg by 2.2.

If you use the the imperial system: Length x Width x Depth (all in inches) divided by 165 equals pounds. To find Kg, divide by 2.2.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

You are paying for the space you use, not just the weight. This is why making parcels smaller can be critical. Do not ship empty space as it costs money.

Not quit true it is a combination of size and weight . They will charge by volume for a large package that does not weigh much.

If you send a small parcel that is very heavy they will charge you by the weight of the parcel. They have an algorithm in all worked out for it.

And yes it changed the actual weight of the parcel by 1.5 kilos and printed in on the label. I changed it with a pen for all the good it did me.

I may or may not have been overcharge depending on that algorithm.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@rosscd57 wrote:

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Not quit true it is a combination of size and weight . They will charge by volume for a large package that does not weigh much.

If you send a small parcel that is very heavy they will charge you by the weight of the parcel. They have an algorithm in all worked out for it.

And yes it changed the actual weight of the parcel by 1.5 kilos and printed in on the label. I changed it with a pen for all the good it did me.

I may or may not have been overcharge depending on that algorithm.

There is no algorithm.

You are charge for the actual weight of your package, if it is equal or greater than the dimensional weight.

Or, you are charged the dimensional weight if your package weighs less than the dimensional weight.

Use the formulas above to determine the dimensional weight of all of your packages.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Thanks for this reply - for a while there I thought I was going crazy as no one seemed to agree. You are right - they were  Expedited parcels - but not domestic they went to the USA.

I am still concerned about the additional weight a and Mr. Elmwood not withstanding - I think it could drive the price up and by the way according to my local Post Office manager their computerized formula, he did not use the word algorithm, for packages that will make you pay the higher price for either volume or weight - depending of course on the actual weight and size.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Thank you. Again, I can speak only from my experience with the labels but I find there is a lot more wiggle room for weight and volume within the price tiers of Expedited than with Xpresspost. (This 'automatic bump' does not affect Small Packets or Light Packets.) I have spent some time tinkering with box sizes and weights since most of my items are of a similar size and nature. The fact a different weight shows on the label than the one you, as the shipper, know went into it is confusing to say the least. The oddest thing to me is that I noticed it only about 18 months ago and I'm not sure if this was because something changed with the appearance of the labels or....?

But, to set your mind at ease, if you go to the Canada Post website and play with their postage cost estimators (I do this on the iPhone app which is a LOT simpler to navigate) I think you will find the price you are being charged for postage is based on the size and weight-in-grams-information you entered when you printed the label and not the weight-in-grams information printed on the label.

I actually 'reported' this 'error' both to Paypal and/or Canada Post more than once (because that the kind of person that I am and I'm sure I'll see an early grave because of it) and, typically, the person who I spoke to was polite and courteous but had no clue whatsoever, promised someone would follow up and get back to me and..... insert sound of crickets here. 

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

" think you will find the price you are being charged for postage is based on the size and weight-in-grams-information you entered when you printed the label and not the weight-in-grams information printed on the label."

The rate will be exactly the same if you use the dimensional weight that got put on the label or the actual weight and size

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@rosscd57 wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

It's not an issue, it is simply the way that Canada Post charges for xpresspost, expedited and regular parcel.   As mentioned, if the dimensional weight is more than the actual weight of the package, you will pay more and the label will reflect the dimensional weight.

A 560 gram package that is 15 x15x15 cm has a dimensional weight of .563 grams so you are going to pay the 560 gram weight. The weight on the label will say 560 grams

A 560 gram package that is 30x30x15cm has a dimensional weight of 2.25kg  so you are going to pay the 2.25kg rate. The weight on the label will say 2.25kg.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

Again, thank you for taking the time to explain this to those of us who were confused by it. It leads me to wonder if Paypal and eBay Customer Service lines might be better served if they were staffed by users like those on this board and not far-off employees. 

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Ok, I think I now finally understand it. Thanks for the explanation.

This process without explanation from Canda Post is however: JUST STUPID.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply