Customer claiming not as described

so I have this item that is one of my top sellers, the 370z side skirt extensions. which as you know is meant for a 370z. I sold at least a 100 this year with nothing but positive feedback from it if the customer did leave feedback.

now a few days ago I had a customer tell me the item isn't as described which I found strange. I asked him for pics and he sent me pics of the item I sent him and the picture on my ad and I'm like right that's exactly the same item. I asked if he fitted the item on his car yet, I tried offering him to call me n tell me the issue over the phone no response, doesn't pick up call. which now I find really really strange. because I want to resolve the issue and if I made an honest mistake ill glady refund all the money back including shipping

fast forward to now, I use his info to find his social media pages and guess what, he owns a 2011 lexus, not a 370z. what happens if he files a claim on me? do I get screwed over for this if he does?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Have you made enough money on the 100 you sold to pay the return shipping on the one that the incompetent nitwit buyer returns?

Since this is Buyer Remorse, try politely telling him to return the skirt for a full refund.

With luck, he will then return them on his own dime,which is why we are going to be very very polite.

At worst he demands return postage, which is not a problem if he is in Canada. Just go to the Canada Post site and make a label, then send him the picture of it. (I'm a technodolt, that's as technical as it's going to get. Even your item has me thinking of a car wearing a full skirt with crinolines.)

And this is where I tell you the Good News about Cookie Jar Insurance.

Basically this is adding a small amount, rarely more than a dime (depending on the average value of your transactions) and setting that aside in a virtual Cookie Jar for possible occasional problems.
Like this incompe buyer.

You refund from the Cookie Jar.

Most sellers, including one unstoppable colleague of yours, find they actually make money on self-insurance, just like a real insurance company.

BTW, part of this is avoiding any interaction/Dispute with eBay . If you can work it out with the buyer, neither of you needs anyone else.

Politely.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ3k2xA1Wcw

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

hlmacdon
Community Member

@jonaus_xdd8xg80w wrote:

so I have this item that is one of my top sellers, the 370z side skirt extensions. which as you know is meant for a 370z. I sold at least a 100 this year with nothing but positive feedback from it if the customer did leave feedback.

now a few days ago I had a customer tell me the item isn't as described which I found strange. I asked him for pics and he sent me pics of the item I sent him and the picture on my ad and I'm like right that's exactly the same item. I asked if he fitted the item on his car yet, I tried offering him to call me n tell me the issue over the phone no response, doesn't pick up call. which now I find really really strange. because I want to resolve the issue and if I made an honest mistake ill glady refund all the money back including shipping

fast forward to now, I use his info to find his social media pages and guess what, he owns a 2011 lexus, not a 370z. what happens if he files a claim on me? do I get screwed over for this if he does?

No. A buyer needs to actually demonstrate why it is not as described. If they haven't provided a reason you can call in and review it with a rep to get flagged as returns abuse as a remorse reason. In my own experience this is often a buyer's remorse situation when they are not responding and they just want to avoid paying return shipping.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

i love how all these buyers remorse guys quote the " I feel its not as described so I'm not paying return shipping"

its like a script for these guys.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@jonaus_xdd8xg80w wrote:

i love how all these buyers remorse guys quote the " I feel its not as described so I'm not paying return shipping"

its like a script for these guys.

They think they know how to game the system. What they count on is that a seller caves because they don't know better or won't take the time to make a phone call to ebay. For what it is worth, I've always found ebay reps to be helpful in these situations, it just takes a bit of your time to review with them.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@hlmacdon wrote:

@jonaus_xdd8xg80w wrote:

No. A buyer needs to actually demonstrate why it is not as described. If they haven't provided a reason you can call in and review it with a rep to get flagged as returns abuse as a remorse reason. In my own experience this is often a buyer's remorse situation when they are not responding and they just want to avoid paying return shipping.

I haven’t had to deal with this myself but based on what I’ve read on the boards, eBay doesn’t necessarily require the buyer to demonstrate anything especially if the seller accepts returns.  It seems that in those cases eBay often tells the seller to pay for return shipping and then appeal it later. That doesn’t always end well.

in this case I don’t think the seller does accept returns so if it’s easy for them to show that it is buyers remorse the seller has a better chance of not having to take the return.  I wouldn’t recommend asking eBay to step in though as that is often decided by a bot.  Talking to an eBay rep on the phone would be better.

hmlcdon -  in the cases that you had, did those listings state that you accepted returns?

Message 6 of 6
latest reply