Does anybody know how to deal with this transaction/situation?

Last night I received a cancellation request from a buyer who just bought an item from me.

I Went to look in my sold notice where MP tells that payment has been received and you can ship but there was nothing there. At this point I went to reason given by the buyer for canceling. The reason is that he/she gave wrong payment information. In effect I never received payment and now eBay wants me to refund the buyer.

What are your thoughts on this and anyone knows what to do?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Go to Seller Hub > Orders > Awaiting Shipment. Located just above and to the left of the gallery image thumb there is a small down arrow. Clicking the arrow opens a drop-down list of available options, click on "cancel".

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Go to Seller Hub > Orders > Awaiting Shipment. Located just above and to the left of the gallery image thumb there is a small down arrow. Clicking the arrow opens a drop-down list of available options, click on "cancel".

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:

@rio1953 

The strange observation about refunds with MP since day one is that even when the customer hasn't paid it makes it appear that they have.  As noted per above when you click cancel (In this situation) the buyers order will be cancelled. Because no fees were applied there is there are no charges to the seller. 

Below is the note you receive even when customer did not pay. (Recent example)

We've notified the buyer that you cancelled this order. You're all set!

We'll credit the variable portion of the final value fees to you. You can apply it toward listing more items to sell on eBay.

In the scheme of things very poorly worded.

On the flip side in several situations where customer has paid and a refund was involved those funds were pulled from my bank account instead of it being a reversal. Unfortunately the other issus is the .30 transaction fee which still is billed to the seller. Either pulled from pending or bank when there are no fees available. (Pointed this out in the past and "believe" this has been corrected.) Cancellations are not a sellers friend, with MP.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Sorry I just realized that I cannot do what you are telling me to do. There is no trace of that particular item in my sold items because the buyer never paid.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@rio1953 wrote:

Sorry I just realized that I cannot do what you are telling me to do. There is no trace of that particular item in my sold items because the buyer never paid.

From the dropdown choose Awaiting Shipment and any unpaid will show up. 

-Lotz

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@rio1953 

Simply choose the appropriate transaction "state" from the list supplied on the left side panel in Seller Hub> Orders.

If the buyer has not paid then go to Seller Hub > Orders > Awaiting Payment , the transaction should be listed.

Web capture_6-12-2021_153257_www.ebay.ca.jpeg

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

You should be able to see the transaction in awaiting payment or in All Orders. If you don't see it then the buyer hasn't made the purchase at all and there is no need to cancel.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Buyer made mistake and could not buy item and said he changed his mind.

I get a notice that and I don't know what it means exactly...is ebay holding some

of the money?

"We'll credit the variable portion of the final value fees to you. You can apply it toward listing more items to sell on eBay."

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

That message is a carryover from when they charged fees as soon as the item was sold. Then, if a buyer didn't pay you could cancel the transaction and get your fees back.  Now, you aren't charged until the buyer actually pays so the message isn't true.  If the item shows as having been sold but not paid for, you should still cancel the transaction using 'buyer asked to cancel' as the reason for cancellation.

tyler@ebay 

Perhaps now that fees aren't charged until a buyer pays, they shouldn't be telling sellers that their fees will be credited when the item hasn't even been paid for yet?

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

That message is a carryover from when they charged fees as soon as the item was sold. Then, if a buyer didn't pay you could cancel the transaction and get your fees back.  Now, you aren't charged until the buyer actually pays so the message isn't true.  If the item shows as having been sold but not paid for, you should still cancel the transaction using 'buyer asked to cancel' as the reason for cancellation.

tyler@ebay 

Perhaps now that fees aren't charged until a buyer pays, they shouldn't be telling sellers that their fees will be credited when the item hasn't even been paid for yet?

Since MP was implemented it's been my experience any fees are billed immediately. Especially promoted fees. Funds from a payment can take from 0 to 5 days to complete. Release of holds can vary. 

For a recent transaction (Mar 6) where pick up was involved, my customer attempted to pay but had issues. I received a message payment to follow. Meantime eBay FVF's(2 lines)  for this transaction was shown as billed immediately even though technically the sale had not been completed. When the customer was able to pay several days later(Mar 9) in cash at time of pick up, the fees were showing as pending in 1 place and processed in another. Once payment was marked as received  fees were removed from a secondary transaction. Extremely messy way of processing. Especially with no true way to keep a balance.  

Screenshot 2022-03-24 151600.jpg 

-Lotz

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I haven't had to wait for payment for anything in a long time so I have never checked to confirm but it's my understanding that  fvf are taken when the item is paid for.  I have no idea what happened in your situation...perhaps fvf is billed immediately for pickups?

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 

If customer pays immediately....1 combined email. If customer pays with delay you will see additional email. With pick ups the FVF's are charged immediately even if customer hasn't paid. Some customers will pay cash. Others still pay PayPal when all works properly. Even had a few go silent after noting pickup and not paying.

Promoted fees are charged as an additional transaction at time of transaction even if customer hasn't paid. Similar to a seller going over on their monthly listings or listing upgrades. Originally when ebay implemented MP it was stated you would receive an invoice for "bonus charges". That was redacted a few months later. That would be the most efficient way to process these accessorial charges but not the route eBay decided to go. Also cleaner for tax purposes. 

-Lotz

As a side note, when I first enrolled in MP, FVF's etc charges temporarily got pulled from my attached bank account vs pending/processed.  This was internally corrected when I pointed it out to CS. Had this happen in several situations where buyer cancelled shortly after paying. Why I will always rely on Shippo for postage vs ebay labels. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply