Does tracking # mandatory for returns

Hello,

I sold an item to a buyer in Germany.  Item was quickly paid and quicky shipped.  Upon receiving the item, the buyer filed a not as described case.  Item had a 2mm scratch that was not mentioned in the listing.  I agreed to have it returned.  Buyer shipped it WITHOUT a tracking #(600$ item) because a tracking # would have cost him double.

After waiting 3 weeks, I contacted ebay.  I explained the situation to the agent.  She put me on hold for about 5 minutes and then she said the buyer is at fault because he didn't ship with a tracking #.  She said the return case would be closed in MY favor and paypal would be notified to release the funds into my account.

Few minutes later, I received an e-mail from eBay saying I had opened a claim and that eBay was invetigating.  Next day I receive an e-mail from ebay Germany.  This e-mail was sent to me by mistake, it was for the buyer.  This e-mail(in German) says:(translated using Google)

Based on the information currently available, I can not make no decision in your favor. I therefore want to ask you a valid proof of shipment. So we can understand that the article has been received from the seller.

Please send us the shipping document until 16 July 2017 in response to this email.

The shipping document should contain the following information:

- name of the shipping company

- Delivery date

- the name and address of the recipient  

- the name and address of the sender

- Tracking number

I notified eBay.de about this e-mail I received by mistake.  THey replied:

First I want to apologize to you for the last message. This message should be sent to your buyer. 

I have your buyer asked to announce the shipment number.

Once we have confirmed the shipping company that the article was sent to your return address, we will refund the amount temporarily locked your buyer under the eBay Buyer Protection. 

Should the buyer us sending does not prove in due time, the case is automatically closed. The currently locked Buyer Protection amount is then released and is available in fully available.

As per ebay.de, the buyer had until July 16 to provide the tracking #.  On the 17, I asked when the funds would be available.

I got this response:

My research has revealed that the case was already decided in favor of the buyer because the buyer has shown us on the basis of the customs confirming that the goods have been dispatched and executed.

If a case is closed in favor of the buyer, you can load within 45 calendar days object to the decision.

Thanks for reading!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Obviously, someone somewhere is confused.

Forget email.

Call PayPal.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

hlmacdon
Community Member

Buyer has to show confirmed delivery through an online verifiable method.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Another unwritten policy for the buyer's benefit.

Unfortunately, buyer is in Germany which could make it difficult to fight.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Hopefully the return will arrive as you shipped it even without tracking.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply