Duplicate Ebay listing strikes again

Over a year ago I received a defect for cancelling a sale on a customer after selling the item previously. I was of the belief Ebay somehow duplicated my listing.

It just happened again with an equally as old listing. It had the same photo used too.

I'm now going to explain to my customer that I do not have the product they just paid for. The item was sold months earlier (same as the last first this happened).

This means I'll receive my 3rd defect this year, thanks to Ebay.

Thoughts to stop this from happening again is:

1. Pull all old listings down and recreate them.

2. I've heard sellers claim Turbo Lister will warn you should you create a listing where a duplicate listing exists.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@needsmorerobots wrote:

Over a year ago I received a defect for cancelling a sale on a customer after selling the item previously. I was of the belief Ebay somehow duplicated my listing.

It just happened again with an equally as old listing. It had the same photo used too.

I'm now going to explain to my customer that I do not have the product they just paid for. The item was sold months earlier (same as the last first this happened).

2. I've heard sellers claim Turbo Lister will warn you should you create a listing where a duplicate listing exists.

Thoughts?

@needsmorerobots 

I have this saved in shortcuts on the eBay Hub page. It's been around for awhile. I just run from time to time for major peace of mind. Works like a charm.

https://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/DuplicateListings.htm

-Lotz

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@needsmorerobots wrote:

Thoughts?

@needsmorerobots 

I have this saved in shortcuts on the eBay Hub page. It's been around for awhile. I just run from time to time for major peace of mind. Works like a charm.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@needsmorerobots wrote:

Thoughts?

@needsmorerobots 

-Lotz

@needsmorerobots 

One other suggestion that may help to catch these mischievious listings is on your listing page sort by date...newest first. When you personally create a listing you will/should get an email if your settings are correct. If eBay manually creates a listing...example...cancelled order there is no email but it should show up if you have your listings sorted by date. Unsure why these situations happen. Just know that they do because they have been mentioned to me by other long time and new sellers. Major annoyance whatever causes them to happen.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

You're a wizard Lotz!

Thanks!

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I manually sort my listings from time to time alphabetically.

Then I look at every page for Duplicates.
I don't trust any computer to do this for me. It was the computer that made the mistake in the first place.

I usually find a dozen duplicates.

Fortunately my listings are long-tail so a monthly sweep works fine.

While doing this I also keep an eye open for listings that feel familiar, possibly because they have already sold.

And I end those, putting them on my Unsold List for a bit.

Then I go through the half dozen on that List and make sure they actually are in stock and either relist or purge them.

Relisting of Sold items has been going on for decades, especially of slow moving or OOaK listings, but eBay refuses to believe it.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Using the duplicate listing link given earlier or sorting listings a certain way can help if you have 2 of the same listing but won't help if a listing is relisted after it was sold because there will only be one listing showing.  I've never had this happen though over the years I've read about it happening to others.  I'm not sure why it happens or how to prevent it. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Using the duplicate listing link given earlier or sorting listings a certain way can help if you have 2 of the same listing but won't help if a listing is relisted after it was sold because there will only be one listing showing.  I've never had this happen though over the years I've read about it happening to others.  I'm not sure why it happens or how to prevent it. 

@needsmorerobots 

This is why I try to pay attention to my total listing count....at all times. Even more so if you routinely end and use sell similar. Maybe you missed relisting or listed a duplicate by mistake? 1 slight change in the relist does not always catch a listing as a duplicate. With eBay's GTC the numbers can get wacky because of lag time before they become physically available(Seen by buyers). The numbers "usually" catch up to correct....eventually. But as for timing that's mostly irradic at best. Or inconsistently consistency. In helping another seller on a regular basis I have been asked to check a new listing they had just created. It will show at their end but can take hours and sometimes overnight to show at my end. Same thing for any sales they may have recently had. Items that have multiple counts do not ALWAYS display in sales history. I've even found examples of sales that never show up in a sellers  history (Sorting with most recent.) They confirmed the sale with a screenshot.  Selective hiding!!! Huh???

Really all depends if you are creating listings daily or infrequently but under normal circumstances you should be able to tell if the numbers are out to lunch. One way is to keep a ticker count note pad and update when you add and downgrade when you sell or end a listing. Spot a conflict and do the due dilligence to determine what could be causing it.

-Lotz

PS. As a side, one has to wonder if the information accessible on eBay, when it comes to ALL historical data is directly connected to storage space and/or load speed vs concerns with privacy? All I know now is the information I no longer can access has caused my desire to purchase to slide downhill.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Many thanks for the tool. I also have trouble with duplicate listings showing up in error. This tool help find a few before problems arose. I have now added it to my shortcuts section as you suggested.  

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@tuckhouse2021 wrote:

Many thanks for the tool. I also have trouble with duplicate listings showing up in error. This tool help find a few before problems arose. I have now added it to my shortcuts section as you suggested.  

@tuckhouse2021 

@needsmorerobots 

Happy to be of assistance!!! 😃

-Lotz

Message 9 of 9
latest reply