EBAY is a joke...and very unfair to sellers.

I joined EBAY because I thought that when buyers agreed to buy (either BUY IT NOW or winning an auction) that they had to pay. However, this is not the case. The buyer has more rights than I do and it is wrong.

Twice now I have been waiting for payment and with no response from the buyer. Since I am new to this I did not know about unpaid claims for the first one so I attempted to have the transaction cancelled. Still no response. I just know that I am not paying a final value fee if I do not get paid. The second one I will put in an unpaid claim but even then there is no consequence to the buyer.

I am not listing my items here anymore. There are other sites where I can sell my stuff and it is free. They do not take a percentage of my sale just for selling it. I would be fine with that however, if I actually got paid.

EBAY should be more helpful to sellers. When we sell our stuff, you make a profit. Treat us better. I have worked hard to get a great seller rating and it is all for nothing now. I always pay right away, and ship right away. In fact, I have lost money on shipping items to people because I am new at this BUT I still shipped the item. I am so annoyed right now.

Message 1 of 65
latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

@i*m-still-here wrote:

Chances are that you and I have the same percentage of difficult buying transactions, but since I buy more mine may be greater in number.

In fact, percentage wise I may even have fewer than you do for all we know.

I'd be very interested to see those numbers -- how many purchases in fact have you made in the past 5 years, and how long have you been buying on eBay? 

The fact that you never reveal any data (or expose your history) lends little credence to your statements.  If you were to come out from behind the curtain, your pronouncements might carry far more weight. 

Message 41 of 65
latest reply

Rose,  

You choose to be in the open and so I can see how much you buy and unless you have other buying ids it's transparent.

I choose not to  be in the open, but even if I were I have numerous buying ids on many venues and no one id would give you an accurate picture anyway.

This isn't a forum which invites open and honest discussion.  It's a heavily censored forum operated by eBay to take the edge off of CSRs.

Occasionally we digress, but if we didn't everyone would get bored beyond belief and leave.

Under those conditions, this is the way I choose to present myself.

Message 42 of 65
latest reply

Those who hide usually have something to fear ...

Message 43 of 65
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Those who hide usually have something to fear ...

You hit that Right On.

You bet I do.

I hate the constant attacks here.  I need all the buffers I can get.

Message 44 of 65
latest reply

I expect that if you came out in the open like all the rest of us, you'd find a more sympathetic audience for your viewpoint. 

It may be useful to reflect on why people react negatively to posts by phantoms.  I'd like to think we're all colleagues at this seller's table.  However, having a fully masked entity sitting in one chair sending out barbs and unsubstantiated comments while ensuring by hiding their own identity and experience that no one can possibly make any meaningful reply, is a different story.  Would you want to attend a board meeting or a discussion group in the real world under those circumstances?  It's not only unfair to the group as a whole, but discourages honest discussion.

I know all the reasons that have been given for using posting IDs on these boards.  On some discussion forums they may have their uses.  On the seller discussion board I think phantom IDs are not justified.  I'd be very surprised to learn that any seller here has had trouble as a direct result of revealing their real selling ID.  After all, our selling IDs are already out there for anybody to see on eBay. 

Just pick one of your many selling IDs -- it doesn't matter which one -- and try posting for a while under that ID as an open seller on this seller board.  I expect you'd get far more respect and far fewer 'attacks' if you did.  And all your other IDs will still be hidden and protected in any event. 

Message 45 of 65
latest reply

Rose, please stop trying to get me to argue with you.

I am simply not interested.

Have you checked out the new DSRs yet?

I'm pretty sure there's been a change.

Message 46 of 65
latest reply

@i*m-still-here wrote:

Rose, please stop trying to get me to argue with you.

I am simply not interested.

Have you checked out the new DSRs yet?

I'm pretty sure there's been a change.

I'm not trying to get you to argue.  I'd like to try to get you to see reason.

See post #33:  http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/is-it-possible-for-sellers-I-mean-ALL-SELLERS-on-ebay-to/...

Message 47 of 65
latest reply

That is not what I was referring to when I posted that you are trying to goad me into arguing with you.

However, 

In relation to your post #33.

In that particular case:  What you call "trying to get me to see the reason,"  I call posting your opinion.

Big Difference.

Message 48 of 65
latest reply

Post #33 in the link above is with reference to the DSRs which you asked if I'd responded to.  C'est tout.

Message 49 of 65
latest reply

Weird! So you just want to make a statement that makes no sense and you don't care to explain what you meant? The community discussion boards are just that - for the community and for discussing. You sound like a petulant child.

Message 50 of 65
latest reply

Ebay doesn't want you.   They want you to quit.   They want million item a month sellers.    I have been on ebay for 15 years with 15,000 positive feedbacks at 99.9% with 5 FULL star rating and THAT is below THEIR standard so they have my Paypal payments on hold for 3 months now.   Apparently  I am supposed to refund ALL buyers for slow mail service even though I ship within 24 hours.   I have never received a negative feedback for item not delivered in 15 years.

Message 51 of 65
latest reply

@gijimbo wrote:

Ebay doesn't want you.   They want you to quit.   They want million item a month sellers.    I have been on ebay for 15 years with 15,000 positive feedbacks at 99.9% with 5 FULL star rating and THAT is below THEIR standard so they have my Paypal payments on hold for 3 months now.   Apparently  I am supposed to refund ALL buyers for slow mail service even though I ship within 24 hours.   I have never received a negative feedback for item not delivered in 15 years.

That is correct. It has been that way for a long time. Negative FB has nothing to do with anything. It has been that way for a long time.

Photobucket
Message 52 of 65
latest reply

I agree, I believe Ebay is hitting an all time low with non-paying buyers. For example during the period 2011-2013 I had a total of 2 non paying bidders, as of mid 2013 to present I have had 12, and Ebay seems to be doing little to remedy this situation. Case in point my last non paying bidder received at least 6 non paying bidder hits in a 8 day period and remains in good standing?????. Four sellers left false positives which I believe is a no-no, but in the action you can see the level of frustration amongst sellers. Something needs to change, whether through feedback, total loss of Ebay privileges etc....

Message 53 of 65
latest reply

I agree with you that non-paying bidders are a growing problem for many sellers.

"Four sellers left false positives which I believe is a no-no,"

That is correct. A seller may "feel better" but it is against eBay policies and does nothing to help resolve the problem.

"my last non paying bidder received at least 6 non paying bidder hits"

Do you have actual knowledge of six sellers filing a non-paying complaint or is it an assumption based on feedback?

Non paying hits for multiple purchases from the same seller count as one hit only.  For eBay to take action, four hits from different sellers are required and the suspension of bidding/buying privileges may not happen the next minute.  It may take several days for the system to communicate with the non-paying buyer before generating a suspension.

Now, for the bigger question, why is the problem growing?

I suspect it has to do with eBay.com initiating a "shopping cart" a few years ago.  I wrote at the time it was a terrible idea and I have not changed my mind.

What has happened is this: "buyers" got used to the idea of putting stuff in their shopping cart and not closing the transaction or dropping a few items and only paying for a few at a later date.  Once they got in the mood of shopping and paying if and when they feel like it - understanding there was no commitment in clicking "buy-it-now" or "bid", the problem grew to include other listings that were not in a "shopping cart". 

It is a "frame of mind": buying on eBay is NOT a commitment to pay.

Of course it does not apply to everyone, only a small minority.  But that small minority is growing and eBay can do little to stop it short of cancelling their "shopping cart" concept (and eBay management seem to be in love with it). 

To learn more about "shopping cart abandonment", please take a look at (and other sites available through search engines):

http://baymard.com/lists/cart-abandonment-rate

Message 54 of 65
latest reply

"It is a "frame of mind": buying on eBay is NOT a commitment to pay."

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/questions/unwanted-item.html
Message 55 of 65
latest reply

Please take the time to read my post again and put the words in context.

Message 56 of 65
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

I agree with you that non-paying bidders are a growing problem for many sellers.

"Four sellers left false positives which I believe is a no-no,"

That is correct. A seller may "feel better" but it is against eBay policies and does nothing to help resolve the problem.

"my last non paying bidder received at least 6 non paying bidder hits"

Do you have actual knowledge of six sellers filing a non-paying complaint or is it an assumption based on feedback?

Non paying hits for multiple purchases from the same seller count as one hit only.  For eBay to take action, four hits from different sellers are required and the suspension of bidding/buying privileges may not happen the next minute.  It may take several days for the system to communicate with the non-paying buyer before generating a suspension.

Now, for the bigger question, why is the problem growing?

I suspect it has to do with eBay.com initiating a "shopping cart" a few years ago.  I wrote at the time it was a terrible idea and I have not changed my mind.

What has happened is this: "buyers" got used to the idea of putting stuff in their shopping cart and not closing the transaction or dropping a few items and only paying for a few at a later date.  Once they got in the mood of shopping and paying if and when they feel like it - understanding there was no commitment in clicking "buy-it-now" or "bid", the problem grew to include other listings that were not in a "shopping cart". 

It is a "frame of mind": buying on eBay is NOT a commitment to pay.

Of course it does not apply to everyone, only a small minority.  But that small minority is growing and eBay can do little to stop it short of cancelling their "shopping cart" concept (and eBay management seem to be in love with it). 

To learn more about "shopping cart abandonment", please take a look at (and other sites available through search engines):

http://baymard.com/lists/cart-abandonment-rate

In terms of the 6 hits I mentioned, I went to the trouble of communicating with the 4 sellers that left the feedback, whom informed me that they had been contacted by another member which I realize is here say, also complaining of this buyer not paying. The four I spoke to as well as myself all filed claims with Ebay, not sure of the 6th person but I believe they did so. Even if I count just the 5 I am sure about,  isn't that enough to have him closed down?? I do not know yet how to combat this, but I do know if the sellers had the right to leave negative feedback, people would be aware of the buyers activities.

Message 57 of 65
latest reply

I read it right the first time. I am simply emphasizing the fact that you, as a bidder, are committing to buy. This board is full of sellers complaining about the same problem. And obviously, eBay won't seriously address the issue. If a seller reports a non paying bidder and there was no legitement reason. eBay should then impose the negative feedback for all to see!
Message 58 of 65
latest reply

Filing a claim for non-payment against a buyer is the beginning of the process.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/resolving-problems.html

A strike is not registered against a buyer until the process has been completed.

Message 59 of 65
latest reply

"the fact that you, as a bidder, are committing to buy."

If you read and understood my post, you would realize that I am referring to a small minority of buyers who, having experienced the eBay shopping cart - where a buyer is NOT under the obligation to pay - continue to deal with other listings on eBay the same way.

Message 60 of 65
latest reply