Ebay Open 2017

If any one is interested, there is a post on the US boards with a bunch of videos from Ebay Open 2017.

Here is the link

http://community.ebay.com/t5/eBay-Open-2017/bd-p/open2017

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Ebay Open 2017

Thank you for the link. I'd like to attend myself one day. 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Ebay Open 2017

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Ebay Open 2017

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2017/7/1501089834.html

It bother me somewhat that ebay is stressing great prices. The company has no merchandise to sell so that's beyond their control. ebay isn't Amazon. In my opinion, ebay should be stressing the uniqueness of its products, and the global aspect to shopping here. Those are its key strengths, to my mind. The only 'deals' are illegal goods, junk, goods and counterfeit items, unless the seller is so new they don't know not to start their auction at more tan 99 cents. Actual, legitimate sellers have to make a profit. I can't sell what I have for less than I paid for it, or I'm losing money and selling to pay ebay and the bank and the postal system. 

Stressing 'deals' is not smart. At least, I don't think it is smart. Ebay is great if you need to find something special. But if it's cheaply found, you're bound as a buyer to be disappointed. Deals is something it cannot deliver.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Ebay Open 2017

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Actual, legitimate sellers have to make a profit. I can't sell what I have for less than I paid for it, or I'm losing money and selling to pay ebay and the bank and the postal system.

To be fair, there are many "actual, legitimate sellers" who don't make a profit (myself included), simply because they are selling old personal goods with no intent to make a profit. Sellers like myself may be more inclined to sell a bit lower, not because what we're selling is junk or counterfeit, but because we're not looking to make a living here. We're just clearing out some well-loved goods, covering our costs, and pocketing a little bit at the end of the transaction.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Ebay Open 2017

Uh yes.

Not to cast any aspersions at you but in my early career as a buyer on ebay, I would have to tell you that in my experience those clearing-out-my-own-stuff-sellers were the Number One offenders at folding a collectible card in half to fit it into a too-small box. Or other similarly horrifying packaging jobs.

Again, I don't mean you.

But the folks selling items at lost-cost prices aren't necessarily the ones that I'd recommend shopping from. Plus, they're still not the ones carrying current items to be found at other retailers but at a better price like ebay seems to be trying to pitch. That's part of the unique inventory, not the I-can-get-it-for-less-on-ebay-than-at-walmart inventory. 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Ebay Open 2017

I understand what you're saying is about eBay's communication regarding deals. All I was trying to convey is that, in my opinion, the statement I previously bolded made it seem like you were saying that, unless a seller was here to make a profit, they aren't legitimate and what they are selling isn't legitimate. I realize that's not necessarily what you meant, which is why I wanted to try and clarify (while adding my own perspective) and hopefully better understand what you meant.
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Ebay Open 2017

@mjwl2006 wrote:

It bother me somewhat that ebay is stressing great prices. The company has no merchandise to sell so that's beyond their control. ebay isn't Amazon. In my opinion, ebay should be stressing the uniqueness of its products, and the global aspect to shopping here. Those are its key strengths, to my mind.

I think eBay has intentionally turned its back on its traditional brand of uniqueness and for the past 2 or 3 years has deliberately been targeting what the younger, mobile-fingered generation seems to want -- familiar mass-produced products at a competitive price.  We don't need to look further than the landing ads on any eBay site to see the proof of that focus.  

Other niche platforms are doing "unique" fairly well these days.  That eBay allowed that market to be taken up by other venues was no doubt a deliberate corporate decision.  They had a firm grip on that market at one time and could have continued to dominate it, had they -- for example -- turned eBay into a dual-stream marketplace.  But alas, no such thing.  As a "boutique" seller of unique items, when I see eBay's ads concentrating on almost ridiculous discount pricing on commercial goods (who offers 70% off every day!?), I realize that my days here are probably numbered.  Many of my erstwhile competitors from the old days have decamped.  No doubt a lot of my type of buyers have gone elsewhere too.  

The truth is that we don't know what kinds of special arrangements eBay may have with its larger sellers to enable them to keep their pricing low, or what plans eBay may have to become more Amazon-like.  With the likes of Sears going down fast, what competition is left is going to be fought out in the ether by the big online sites.  Reports are that Sears itself plans to use one of the online giants as a platform once it divests itself of its brick-and-mortar presence.  

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Ebay Open 2017

To give some perspective on eBay's focus and further to my comment that eBay likely has special arrangements with many of its large sellers, it is reported that currently 22% of eBay's revenues arise from marketing services, classified ads, Stub Hub and other corporate marketing:  

"The increase in Marketplace MS&O revenues in 2016 compared to 2015 was primarily driven by increased fees earned for referral services and increased revenue from our revenue share programs [...]." (my emphasis)

They have bigger fish they want to fry than the small independent sellers that used to make up the bulk of their seller population.   

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Ebay Open 2017

@thestuffofchris wrote:
I understand what you're saying is about eBay's communication regarding deals. All I was trying to convey is that, in my opinion, the statement I previously bolded made it seem like you were saying that, unless a seller was here to make a profit, they aren't legitimate and what they are selling isn't legitimate. I realize that's not necessarily what you meant, which is why I wanted to try and clarify (while adding my own perspective) and hopefully better understand what you meant.

I could have done a better job specifying what I meant and that was unless a buyer was looking for something that was unique, used or vintage, or a collectible, ebay cannot possibly compete on prices for things currently sitting on store shelves because it has none of its own stock. That's A's niche. 

I shop for a family of six, and here is how I spend our money: first I look to see if I can find it locally. Nope? Then, I go to the manufacturer's website to get it. Still nothing? Corporate e-tailers: the big A and department stores like W or the like. Nothing? Well, then I go to ebay for the retail arbitrage resale market. I don't even bother looking on A for that since the third-party seller products are ALWAYS more expensive on A than on ebay. Always. That tells me that ebay's strength lays in its third-party sellers. I'd never trust a 70 per cent reduced kitchen appliance from one of their Deal buddies, I don't need someone else's refurbished tools. If I want a refurbished anything, I'm going to the manufacturer for it. 

But that's just me.

Clearly, I'm not running things at ebay.

But as a buyer, I do still steer clear away from the small ebay sellers who are clearing out their own stuff. No 'deal' is worth the aggravation of having to fight over an Item Not as Described. I was simply burnt too many times in the past to consider it in the present. When shopping here, I pick the same sellers, I have my favourites to which I return but they're the ones that have a feedback count about the same as mine and no negs. But then again, I am fussy. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Ebay Open 2017

I also now distrust anything shipping loose from China for cheaper than I could buy it down the street. Again, it took more than once bitten to be twice shy about that. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Ebay Open 2017

@rose-dee wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

It bother me somewhat that ebay is stressing great prices. The company has no merchandise to sell so that's beyond their control. ebay isn't Amazon. In my opinion, ebay should be stressing the uniqueness of its products, and the global aspect to shopping here. Those are its key strengths, to my mind.

I think eBay has intentionally turned its back on its traditional brand of uniqueness and for the past 2 or 3 years has deliberately been targeting what the younger, mobile-fingered generation seems to want -- familiar mass-produced products at a competitive price.  We don't need to look further than the landing ads on any eBay site to see the proof of that focus.  

Other niche platforms are doing "unique" fairly well these days.  That eBay allowed that market to be taken up by other venues was no doubt a deliberate corporate decision.  They had a firm grip on that market at one time and could have continued to dominate it, had they -- for example -- turned eBay into a dual-stream marketplace.  But alas, no such thing.  As a "boutique" seller of unique items, when I see eBay's ads concentrating on almost ridiculous discount pricing on commercial goods (who offers 70% off every day!?), I realize that my days here are probably numbered.  Many of my erstwhile competitors from the old days have decamped.  No doubt a lot of my type of buyers have gone elsewhere too.  

The truth is that we don't know what kinds of special arrangements eBay may have with its larger sellers to enable them to keep their pricing low, or what plans eBay may have to become more Amazon-like.  With the likes of Sears going down fast, what competition is left is going to be fought out in the ether by the big online sites.  Reports are that Sears itself plans to use one of the online giants as a platform once it divests itself of its brick-and-mortar presence.  

That was made very clear on the 1st video from Ebay 2017.

My guess is many of us will not be here at this time next year, or if we are, just selling a few things with no store. It is already showing on the US boards.

I use Auctiva and a basic store which is $40 per month for the two. Then add in Ebay fees, and ridiculous shipping costs, it becomes very questionable if Ebay is worth it any more.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Ebay Open 2017

Can't wait for the August, September, October, etc updates as well as all the non disclosed changes to reinforce what was stated at Ebay 2017.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Ebay Open 2017

@dutchman48 wrote:

Can't wait for the August, September, October, etc updates as well as all the non disclosed changes to reinforce what was stated at Ebay 2017.

Haha -- I'm still trying to get over being gobsmacked by the (surprise, surprise!!) Summer Seller Update and the precipitous disappearance of Paypal shipping labels to even contemplate what new delights may in store in the next Seller Update.  

I keep saying to myself: "What more can they possibly do to us?", and yet they keep thinking up new stuff.  Very creative people.  

Pardon me, it's so absurd around here, I'm almost at the babbling stage... Woman Very Happy

Message 14 of 14
latest reply