Ebay complicit in fraud and threatens to charge me as part of fraud

bn880
Community Member

I have a case where a buyer is lying about some boards not working for him, sending a photo of just 1 of 2 required boards installed with a fuse removed.  I accepted the return, he provided FAKE return shipping information.  The time has expired, I asked eBay to step in, and then I had Patak S and Sayan M. put the case on hold, asking me to provide a shipping label to the buyer.  The buyer is in the US and I am in Canada so this is impossible and is already AFTER fraud has been committed.

The buyer is a known scammer in the US with a google review record to prove it (1.5 stars with a history of defrauding others).

Ebay now threatens to refund the buyer after 4 days if I don't provide a label.  Meanwhile the buyer won't even reply... "I've placed the request on hold for 4 days to give you time to arrange return shipping with the buyer. Please note that if you don't resolve the issue by, 08th July 23. We'll issue the buyer a full refund on your behalf without requiring the item to be returned."

So this is it, eBay excuses fraud, and wants to defraud a long time client to pay off some scammer.

When will eBay make things right, and hire reasonable customer service people?

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

You should be able to issue a return label from the USA to Canada through either Pirate Ship or Shippo. If you know they're a scammer though, you might be better off just refunding, reporting them to both eBay and the USPS (depending on how you sent it), and blocking them. If they really are a scammer, they'll probably just send back junk and then you'll be out the shipping too.

It sucks, but it's part of business unfortunately. If eBay was going to have the resources to thoroughly investigate all the cases they get, we'd probably pay double the fees that we do now.

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

A lot of folks here find that contacting ebay through social media is better than phone as they are ebay employees and not phone contractors.

No idea if the twitter one still works with the plug pulled recently. 

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

bn880
Community Member

Thanks for the replies.  I've messaged the buyer one last time to tell him to send the boards back and provide the receipt photo / email and I will cover it.  Lets see how eBay handles this after the 4 days are up and the buyer doesn't reply (which he won't)

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

@bn880 wrote:

Thanks for the replies.  I've messaged the buyer one last time to tell him to send the boards back and provide the receipt photo / email and I will cover it.  Lets see how eBay handles this after the 4 days are up and the buyer doesn't reply (which he won't)

My understanding is that if you let eBay handle it, they will automatically award the buyer a full refund, he'll keep the board, and you'll get a defect on your account.  The only situation I'm unsure of is if eBay has restricted the buyer's account (in which case he may not be eligible for buyer protection), but I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that he wouldn't be able to open a return case then.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

SEND the RETURN SHIPPING LABEL!

Otherwise you are unlikely to see the item again, you will lose the case, and you will get a Defect on your selling account.

Get the boards back, and refund then.

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

This!  You are behind the 8-ball and on course to lose the case as you accepted a return due to your item not functioning properly.   Whether they are lying or not does not matter now, you need to follow the eBay requirments to the nth degree.   i.e. Send the label.    If you don't even the bogus tracking info does not matter because you did not send the label.   

And if they don't use the label, you can get a refund for it from the label provider. 

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

bn880
Community Member

Again, I am in Canada, it is known to eBay that Canadians don't purchase return labels for Americans.  I was messaged by their service reps on that day and told to arrange payment for return shipping, so I disagree with the last 2 messages.

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

This is what eBay support told me to do , to get the guys paypal and cover the return shipping.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

I had an ugly return situation with a US buyer claiming $500 audio tubes were not working correctly (not true).  Instead of a label, which I did not know how to buy from Canada, I messaged the buyer that I could not buy a label and offered to send the shipping funds up front through paypal to cover the shipping.  I also talked it through with eBay that said that was correct way to proceed.   The buyer just kept saying "send me a label" and would not take up my offer even when I offered an extra $5 to cover gas to the post office.    He kicked up a fuss with eBay and ended up getting the case closed in his favour and refunded.  But because I had made the offer a few times and it complied with eBay's online suggestions, eBay reversed the charge against my account so I was made whole by eBay and got the refunded money reinstated.   I had called eBay at pretty well every stage of the way, and it was an instant reversal by them. 

Afterwards I learned that I could have bought a return label from Shippo, which is why we suggested sending a label ASAP, as that would unequivically establish you as complying with the return requirements.  flipstics also indicated that pirateship is also another venue for sellers as well as shippo.

My understanding is that you have offered to pay the return shipping after the item is returned.  eBay's policy is that if no label, to send funds up front.  My concern is that as it stands your reimbursement offer is not compliant and is a risk, even if it seems an eBay rep suggested otherwise. 

The policy is:

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/return-shipping-sellers?id=4703#section5

-----

"Offer to send funds for the return shipping cost

Use the shipping calculator on the carrier's website to find out how much return shipping will cost. If you're unable to determine the cost, contact the buyer and ask them to provide a quote.

Ensure that the amount includes tracking, and on items that have a total cost of $750 or more, include signature confirmation.

Here's how to send funds to the buyer:

Contact the buyer through Messages, and ask how they would like to receive funds to purchase a return label.
Send the funds using the buyer's preferred method.
Ask the buyer to confirm that they've received the funds, and to upload tracking to the return request so you can see that the item is on it’s way."

------

A label takes all this out of the equation and is easily refunded if not used.  If paying up front for shipping by paypal I would assume you can put a claim in through paypal if they do not send the good back to you.  

We really want you to win this and are just concerned that the case is on a path that is at risk of going against you.  Hence the "label" badgering.  These situations are a hassle and a PITA for a shady buyer and irritating as heck.

Your call of course, just sharing experience and suggestions.  Best of luck.

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

As @byto253 mentioned you can buy a usps label at Shippo or at Pitateship.  Save it as a pdf and send it to your buyer. 

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

You can not send PDF's in eBay AFAIK

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

Thanks for the suggestion and info.  I am considering doing this soon.  Wonder if one of those labels is refundable if not used for some time.  🙂

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

it is known to eBay that Canadians don't purchase return labels for Americans.

You can buy USPS shipping labels through Shippo.

You may need to supply your Solutions for Small Business number.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/business/small-business.page?

Or you can lose. Your choice.

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

You can not send PDF's in eBay AFAIK

Of course you can.

It's just a picture for heaven's sake.

Message 15 of 35
latest reply

If using ebay messaging, you need to convert the pdf to Jpeg, which Adobe does free online, as well as other sites.   Then the Jpeg can be sent.   

Message 16 of 35
latest reply

It actually does not take the .pdf format.  I have tried to send manuals for audio gear and it was a no go.  I had to get an email address.

Message 17 of 35
latest reply

Print out the pdf, scan it, attach the scan.

If a technodolt like me can figure it out.

Message 18 of 35
latest reply

You can send a picture not a PDF.

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

I know I do that all the time.

Message 20 of 35
latest reply