Ebay labels overcharge on multiple occasions now

Has anyone else had this problem. When I purchase labels through the ebay feature I have been overcharged to the tune of $4.00 and sometimes more.

I noticed this a couple of times with Small Parcel but didn't pay much attention to this at first. Also had the same problem with Tracked Parcel but that one was harder for me to detect as prices vary a bit more depending on where the item is going. I thought maybe the prices went up as this happened in the last 2-3 months.  After January sometimes and since I have signed up with this hated MP system and having to use ebay labels.

After the third time of getting nailed with a $12.98 fee for shipping a small parcel envelope (weighing about 50 grams) I went to Canada Post website and double checked. Sure enough it was quoting me around $8.90 without the discount we usually get.  So on the fourth one like that I contacted ebay. I had a package to ship that day and again was stuck with this $12.98 cost. Like a flat fee and nothing would budge to rectify.  Then checked on Shippo and the same problem there. A flat fee of $12.98 and nothing budging. Cost of tracking wasn't much higher. Something really off here on all counts.

The dimensions part is finally fixed from inches to cms and we can finally enter the proper dimensions. The weight part had not been fixed as of last week when I went to use it. I had to physically take something to the post office and mail it as I had no other option. Or pay the $12.98.

Ebay reimbursed me for the last two but I know there was more than those 2. I delete listings on my site once a buyer has left feedback so hard to keep track of which one it might have been. Post office is making a lot of extra money these days if a lot of us are being overcharged like this. The new sellers that wouldn't know the approximate costs of shipping parcels and would think this is normal.

I also noticed that the price of Tracked Parcel was more on a couple of parcels that I had to ship. Found it odd a bit that it was so costly but thought I could be wrong. Its probably right. I shipped anyways because of my 1 day handling time and it didn't even click to go double check on the Canada Post website.

So just writing this up to let people know the problem is out there. I am sure I am not the only one having this problem. Another glitch in their wonderful system that's taking months to fix.

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I agree. Its complicated and just when you start getting a handle on something everything gets changed.

The first couple I noticed with the overpriced cost I should have put 2 and 2 together. But I purchased anyways and sent the item off because of handling time. And forgot about it till the next time. Third time I finally did some checking. And there was also 1 or 2 tracked parcel that I missed in there somewhere where I found it odd that the cost was quite high.

I don't have time to pay attention to all these details. Should have known better, new program, new glitches.  But even Shippo was right off on prices when I went there. Weird.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

I didn't realize that people had been using ebay labels for months...I guess just a few were at first.

Next time there is a discrepency make note of the dimensions, weight, shipping location and price and post on here so that the problem can be checked out.  When you doing your label for ebay shipping it tells you what you are going to pay. Is that when you notice that it is wrong or later on?

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

Couple of months probably we've been able to print labels off ebay. If not longer. Maybe I am one of their first guinea pigs. 

The price of shipping was there as soon as I clicked on that page. I remember thinking that was odd. Is this a flat rate now?

After a couple of times though and even when entering the proper inches (but should have been cms) like it should be in Canada and also the weight couldn't be adjusted either (lbs & ozs) as opposed to kgs & gs, the price still wouldn't budge.  I went to Canada Post website to check. The dimensions was fixed as of last week, not the weight. Took 3 weeks.

I have not used them much. Sales are down. And every time I have had to use it something is off. So better to take parcel directly to the post office.

So was happy when I found the Shippo button. I get there and it has the same overpriced charge. I had to ship so purchased the label anyways. 

Last time I went over to Shippo on right hand corner of the ebay label page. Same problem over there. $12.98 fee for a bubble envelope weighing 30-50 grams. Couldn't change anything etc. so after calling ebay went to the post office. 

Shippo has always been a source of annoyance for me.  Sometimes it worked fine but most time there was a glitch in there. Clear your cookies I was told. I did.  Went over to paypal. No longer an option.

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

As mentioned in another thread, you can print a label in Paypal but instead of signing in as you usual do, type in paypal.com/shipnow and then sign in. You will have to enter all of the buyer's information.

I just checked the ebay shipping and didn't have a problem changing the weight or dimensions.  Are you clicking enter after you change the information? That saves it.

tyler@ebay 

You probably already know about this but just in case you don't, The ebay label dimensions are showing ounces for weight and cm for dimensions.....just a bit confusing.  I just checked it at 1:30pm mdt.

I don't use calculated shipping so I don't know how the information carries over from a listing when the listing was done in grams and kg.

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

Yes I remember seeing that. For somebody like me that would be feasible but rather annoying to have to enter manually. What about big sellers having these kind of glitches and doing all this manually. This needs to get resolved or scrapped.

Shippo was not working for me most of the time either so I would just skip that altogether and go directly to paypal. Now that signed in with that stupid MP system no longer feasible.

Of course I am clicking Enter once I put in the new information. Or it has a SAVE button and that's what I hit. The dimensions had been resolved as of last week but the weight had not been. I have not had to use it in a few days so don't know.

Yes the dimensions and weight carry over when using calculated shipping. The weight is usually a close estimate because item was not completely packed. As for the dimensions the box sometimes no longer here so I grab one suitable to fit that item. That's why I need to adjust weight and dimensions.

With the variety of items I sell flat rates is not doable. I do that on .com site and had to fork out money a lot because I underestimated. Or overestimated and have had to refund buyers. After a while this adds up in your fees.  Bad enough its doing that even with the calculator on. Usually its overcharging the buyers where I have to refund.

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

Never ever use any other shipping service other than Canada Post.

If you use anything else you are paying extra for that service despite any discount that you will get.

Go and get yourself a small business account through Canada Post, you will get a discount that will usually cover any discrepancies of a dollar or two between feebay here and what it truly costs through Canada Post.

Using the Canada Post web-site is always FREE, so is printing shipping labels, FREE at Canada Post..! If you don't want to print a label, you can take your bar code email to the outlet and have them print out the shipping label for FREE.

I shake my head every time I read post like this.

Do not waste your time with anything that feebay here partners with. Go to Canada Post and do it ALL for FREE!

If you don't want to make payment of shipping costs on-line, at a cost and or small fee either thru paypal or what ever other BS selling app that this feebay place is trying to fleece money from you, just pay it at the outlet with a debit card and or cash, with NO extra fees.

It's so easy and simple.

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

I think the problem with what you are suggesting is when you print your labels through the Canada Post website, the recipient's mailing address doesn't carry over. Would need to be entered manually or copied. Or is there a way to do this.

Somebody else suggested to go to paypal and do this but would have the same problem now as using the Canada Post website. Its feasible but easier to make a mistake because the information doesn't carry over.  For the big sellers I can't see them doing that.

We still get charge a fee on what the buyer paid for shipping no matter what shipping labels we use.  Is that what you are talking about?  Plus 30 cents for every transaction and your usual fees. No dodging any of that.

Message 7 of 33
latest reply

Printing shipping labels is free at Shippo, Paypal, ebay...anywhere that I'm aware of.  I'm not sure why you think that there is a fee.  As far as discounts, those sites should give a minimum of the level 1 small business discount and some such as Shippo also give the higher levels of discount if you qualify.

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

Something to ponder:

Normally when there is a discount involved there is an account number that is applicable(connected to it). If sellers using eBay Labels are unable to link their personal CP number what account number are all the transactions generated being applied to and who is collecting the savings? Usually it's called a group or national savings.

-Lotz

Message 9 of 33
latest reply

Good question. Because after so many dollars spent we should be able to get a higher discount from CP no? Never thought of that one. I know if I have to bring something to the post office and use my CP account its at 5%. Should that go up eventually?

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

@luv4orphans wrote:

Good question. Because after so many dollars spent we should be able to get a higher discount from CP no? Never thought of that one. I know if I have to bring something to the post office and use my CP account its at 5%. Should that go up eventually?

As far as I know it's only at CP where it shows the specific applicable discount. I've done random comparisons with CP and Shippo and options match for my level 2 discount item for item.

-Lotz

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

I've had this problem as well. At first I thought I'd done something wrong and then I started being a lot more watchful. I contacted eBay and they asked me what I'd like them to do about it. I said - Refund, please! I find shipping quite complicated and still have a lot to learn.

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

I really want to use this feature. It would make my life easier to have less paperwork to do with expenses and taxes. 

I did a few labels to test it out. The first issue I have, is there doesn't seem to be any statement about GST collected. Because I am registered to collect GST, this is important. 

Second, the price is higher than what I am charged through snap ship. Even if we assume there is a way for me to figure out the GST and deduct it from the eBay label, it is still higher. I guess it is possible that I get a larger discount through snap ship because of volume. I'm not sure. But it doesn't make sense for me to switch platforms and pay more money for labels. 

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

You do get your level 2 discount at Shippo, correct?

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

@luv4orphans wrote:

If you sign into your small business account at Canada Post you should be able see how much you have spent on postage and which level you should be on.   I could be wrong but I doubt if the discount given at the counter goes up with volume as they want to encourage online labels.

Message 15 of 33
latest reply

Okay thanks. I will check.

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

Are we better using Shippo than the ebay labels. 

The ebay labels finally seem to be running fine for me after a couple of months but I do not see the discount when purchasing labels. A bit annoying.  So how do we know if even getting a discount.

Message 17 of 33
latest reply

I agree. Its complicated and just when you start getting a handle on something everything gets changed.

The first couple I noticed with the overpriced cost I should have put 2 and 2 together. But I purchased anyways and sent the item off because of handling time. And forgot about it till the next time. Third time I finally did some checking. And there was also 1 or 2 tracked parcel that I missed in there somewhere where I found it odd that the cost was quite high.

I don't have time to pay attention to all these details. Should have known better, new program, new glitches.  But even Shippo was right off on prices when I went there. Weird.

Message 18 of 33
latest reply

I've always used Shippo since I started selling on Ebay and I am at a Canada Post level 1 discount. I have checked 4 shipments the last couple days for Shippo VS Ebay labels and everytime Shippo has been cheaper. One item (pair of boots) was over $2 cheaper. I don't find Shippo that bad to use so I'm just sticking with it. Although I may cross check if I have any larger packages soon.

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

That sounds really odd as its my understanding that ebay labels are giving the level 1 discount.   I've printed 2 or 3 labels there  and in all cases, I was given the level 1 discount.

If there is a problem we should report it but we need more info to show them that isn't working.  I do have a question first...are you entering the information on the ebay label and then clicking on enter to see what the price is after you enter the info are or you just looking at the price that is on there before you enter the information?  

eBay labels shows the price as soon as you go to that page even when the actual weight etc are not on the label yet so I am working if that is where the discrepency is.

Message 20 of 33
latest reply