Ebay no longer will sell more than $100 insurance for packages going to US from Canada

I recently (last week), discovered that goshippo was no longer selling insurance for items sent from Canada to the US.

I ship with Canadapost, with the lable bought via goshippo (until now).    Or with Ebay as a back up.

As a backup, I tried to print a lable using ebay.     Ebay has also changed their insurance option.    They will not allow insurance over $100 for items sent.    I note this is for all shipping methods - expresspost, expedited mail etc.

I phoned ebay to see why I could not use their insurance field, and I was told ebay will no longer sell insurance for more than $100 for items sent from Canada to the US.    When I asked ebay about this, they said I'd have to buy my lable directly from Canadapost if I wanted more than $100 insurance!

It seems crazy for ebay to encourage Canadian sellers to print labels via ebay, and have ebay refuse to allow you to insure more than $100.

I used Canadapost as my next back up (Canadapost is working as normal, with their normal insurance limits).

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Ebay no longer will sell more than $100 insurance for packages going to US from Canada

@avionsunantiques wrote:

I recently (last week), discovered that goshippo was no longer selling insurance for items sent from Canada to the US.

I ship with Canadapost, with the lable bought via goshippo (until now).    Or with Ebay as a back up.

As a backup, I tried to print a lable using ebay.     Ebay has also changed their insurance option.    They will not allow insurance over $100 for items sent.    I note this is for all shipping methods - expresspost, expedited mail etc.

I phoned ebay to see why I could not use their insurance field, and I was told ebay will no longer sell insurance for more than $100 for items sent from Canada to the US.    When I asked ebay about this, they said I'd have to buy my lable directly from Canadapost if I wanted more than $100 insurance!

It seems crazy for ebay to encourage Canadian sellers to print labels via ebay, and have ebay refuse to allow you to insure more than $100.

I used Canadapost as my next back up (Canadapost is working as normal, with their normal insurance limits).

@avionsunantiques 

devon@ebay 

Because those are still considered Canada Post shipments even though they are purchased services within Shippo/eBay Labels they should still have that have that option allowing for additional insurance as per posted rates.  Just like the first 100 is free.

Canada

lotzofuniquegoodies_1-1687397756857.png

USA

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1687397632289.png

I haven't tested eBay Labels as of late but will with the next label I create. 100.00+ orders have become very infrequent as of late. This this is similar to when these services were implemented but they chose not to include the mailing tube option etc. (See above)

-Lotz

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Have to wonder if this is related to the problem of people trying to make a claim to Canada Post only to be told eBay bought the postage and not them.  

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

To be clear, the problem happens when a Canadian seller lists their item for sale on EBay.COM (ie not .ca).

The reason for doing this is listing in US$ on ebay .com generally gets better results than listing in C$ on ebay.ca.

The only problem (until now), has been that the ebay.com shipping rate calcuator doesn't work.    So you have to state fixed shipping costs for the US etc.

You still ship with Canada post.

When you go to buy a lable via ebay, the Canadapost options are all there, BUT, for options like xpresspost to the US, or expedited to the US (which Canadapost will insure for up to C$1000), the ebay shipping lable will not allow you to purchase additional insurance coverage (over the C$100 it comes with).

This problem does not happen on ebay.ca.

This is a NEW problem, that effectively means that those Canadians who list on Ebay.com (ie those who expect the item to sell outside of Canada), can not buy ebay shipping lables for items they want to insure beyond $100.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I had the same problem when I purchased a label for my US$ sale a few weeks back. The option to buy additonal insurance was not there on eBay. So I still purchased the label on eBay, but went to U-Pic to insure my shipment. Total cost was better than buying the label directly from Canada Post.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I don't understand why it would make  a difference as to which site you list on. If you are printing a label on eBay we have to go to ebay.ca to print a label so regardless of which site the item was listed on, the label process should be the same.  You are saying that you sold something that was listed on .ca that sold to the US and you were able to buy extra insurance? But for an ebay.com listing, ebay shipping didn't allow you to purchase extra insurance?  And both transactions were done within a short time of each other?

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I don't understand why it would make  a difference as to which site you list on. If you are printing a label on eBay we have to go to ebay.ca to print a label so regardless of which site the item was listed on, the label process should be the same.  You are saying that you sold something that was listed on .ca that sold to the US and you were able to buy extra insurance? But for an ebay.com listing, ebay shipping didn't allow you to purchase extra insurance?  And both transactions were done within a short time of each other?

@westcoastart2 

@pjcdn2005 

@avionsunantiques 

With Shippo there WAS stand alone insurance for over 100.00 in the past. That recently was eliminated.

Unsure if the option to buy extra insurance with eBay Labels was only available when items were valued over 100.00 or if it was available in all situations. (There can be items that are valued at more than what they sold for. (Many sellers instead of just the flat 100.00 will purchase extra insurance for  peace of mind in case something happens to happen to that shipment.

If you purchase postage at Canadapost directly extra insurance is available on applicable services to the limits noted at 2.50 per 100.00 of value.

This issue was flagged in my recent discussion on my known issues with eBay Labels. They've been passed on by devon@ebay  ebay but as of yet there has been no follow up.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 7
latest reply