Final Value Fee on Shipping? What the hell is this fresh gouge

7 REPLIES 7

Not a fresh gouge.

Has been around for a couple years now.

It was introduced to stop sellers who sold their items

at a very low price with a very high shipping cost in order

to avoid paying final vale fees on their items.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Haven't seen a negative feedback score in years.

For the record, although PP shipping labels are convenient, it is also acceptable to print shipping labels from Canada Post or even to use stamps for shipping.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Haven't seen a negative feedback score in years.

For the record, although PP shipping labels are convenient, it is also acceptable to print shipping labels from Canada Post or even to use stamps for shipping.

... or go to the P.O. and pay for a label there.  None of us had legitimate excuses during the Paypal "blackout" recently.  There are other options.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Ebay is charging all of us for what a small percentage is doing.Problem is that it hasnt worked, as I still find sellers with out rages shipping cost. Good revenue for Ebay though. 

If you want to talk about gouging, lets talk about the import fees  Pittney Bows are charging through American sellers. They say it gets more American sellers to sell internationally. I say it stops International Buyers from buying due to the heavily inflated import charges that are added to the existing shipping charges. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Problem is that it hasnt worked, as I still find sellers with out rages shipping cost.

Well, it does flatten out the playing field since these sellers are now paying the same fees on a $1 item with $100 shipping as the seller with $100 item and $1 shipping.

I say it stops International Buyers from buying due to the heavily inflated import charges

And as a Canadian seller I say, great! More customers for me.

Well, probably not really, because: Canada Post.

The GSP if used by a wise seller can actually cost less than buying from other foreign countries. From time to time. On some things.

But on the whole, it makes buyers unhappy with buying on eBay entirely, even though it only applies to purchases from the USA.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

"Well, it does flatten out the playing field since these sellers are now paying the same fees on a $1 item with $100 shipping as the seller with $100 item and $1 shipping."

The problem is we all are paying additional fees because Ebay decided this was the only solution to take care of a small percentage of sellers trying to make a supersized  buck on shipping

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

"we all are paying additional fees"

Not really.

When the policy was introduced over two years ago, many sellers saw lower fees overall paid to eBay.  At the time eBay lowered FVF on fixed price transactions, generally by 1% or 2%.

For example, if a seller was charging $150 for an item + $10 shipping, and FVF were dropped by 2%, that seller saw lower fees paid to eBay overall.

Also, a large percentage of listings on eBay (slightly more than 50%) offer "free shipping" (shipping included in selling price).  All those sellers saw lower overall fees paid to eBay.

I was one of those sellers who experienced lower fees overall when the policy was changed.

On the other hand, we all realize that eBay policies are based in the USA primarily for American sellers based on American shipping costs.  Since Canadian sellers generally pay much more than Americans for shipping, many were disadvantaged by the change of policy.  In some instances, because the shipping cost was a high percentage of the transaction, sellers had to stop selling on eBay and move elsewhere.

The change by eBay (to charge fees on shipping) simply copied what its largest competitor had been doing for years.  That was the real reason for the change.

Since eBay will not revert to the old system, we all have to learn to live with what we have.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply