For parts or not working..

I recently sold a PS3 console "for parts or not working".

In the description, I stated that the system did power on, but would not read any discs or play anything.  Stated again AS IS, and no returns accepted for this particular item.

Now the buyer contacts me and states the system does not turn on like the description stated.

I don't know what happened as to why it does not turn on like it did here, but am I responsible for it?  Does the AS IS for parts or not working cover this? Or can the customer open a SNAD?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I have found that it doesn't seem to matter what you say in your listing. Wether it is Selling As Is or Accept No Returns, eBay will in most cases side with the buyer.  Very unfair.  Maybe offer a partial refund & see if the buyer will accept that.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Keep in mind that No Returns is not the same as No Refunds.

If you take Paypal you make refunds.

Do you want it back before you refund? You can demand that, but you may have to pay the return shipping if he starts an eBay Dispute. (Not if he starts a Paypal dispute though.)

If something breaks down, like your non-working console, it is not unlikely that other bits will wear out too. And quickly.

So your customer may actually be right.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

At the time of the sale  "as is" meant that it powered up.  The item received had more damage than described so yes, your buyer could open an SNAD dispute and most likely win.

Do you really want this item back?  I wouldn't.

I'd offer a partial refund.  I always approach these cases by asking the buyer how much of a refund would make things right.

They always ask for less than I was prepared to give, but in these cases I tend to be very generous because an item which didn't do well the first time is not something I want back in my store.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I believe the customer that it is not turning on, but I sold it "for parts or not working" and that's what he got.

I replied to him that unfortunately I cannot help him as the item was sold as is, and no returns will be accepted or refunds issued.

I have not heard back.

I know eBay has a tendency to side with the buyer, but the item was sold AS IS for parts or not working...

I do not want the item back, the cost of return shipping that I may have to pay would not make it worth it, but I hesitate to issue a partial refund, as when someone buys a non-working item, they are taking a chance that it cannot be repaired, or that the cost of repair may be high.  I have issued partial refunds in the past, but not for items that were clearly listed as "for parts or not working".

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

But you sold an item that would turn on and arrived with more damage than described.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

If they open a return request for a snad issue you can phone eBay and see if they will close it in your favor because the listing was for parts.  But the fact that you specified that it does power up may cause you to lose and possibly receive a defect.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

"Does the AS IS for parts or not working cover this?"  NO

"Or can the customer open a SNAD?"  Yes

In my opinion, there is only one solution: refund the customer in full.

Move on.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

I sell similar items what we would refer to as salvage or e-waste.

eBay has a 30 Day Money Back Guarantee so even if you don't accept return, you will be forced to refund if a case is opened. I've had that a few times over the years.

Sadly, broken electronics is a ripe area for scams because items may not have enough value to justify the item being returned, and a buyer will simply open a case and scam their way to a free device. Best advice already given, full refund, make it painless for the buyer, apologize for the inconvenience (be really nice about it and genuine) and typically, they will leave good feedback.

If they leave bad feedback after they win a case (or you resolve it) you can always ask eBay to remove it. If you are nice enough and explain you followed all eBay's policies and resolved the customer's concerns, if you get a good agent you can typically have it removed. I'm a little hazy but I thought that once a case was resolved feedback wasn't an option or that certain types of feedback would qualify for redaction.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is now becoming more and more risk to try to sell "parts only or not working" items.  No matter what the sellers explain very clearly, the buyer just ignore and file NAD regardless which is unfair.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

You should not have put that it turns on as you leave the buyers outs for parts or not working

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

It is now becoming more and more risk to try to sell "parts only or not working" items.  No matter what the sellers explain very clearly, the buyer just ignore and file NAD regardless which is unfair.

Do you think it would help to put a very large watermark across the main page item pic?  Some sellers put watermarks on their pics with their store name but it is very faint.  I am thinking:

NOT WORKING

FOR PARTS ONLY

in big letters across the main pic but the rest of the pics show the item without.  I don't see how anyone could misunderstand that. 

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

By "anyone" I meant to say INCLUDING the eBay rep on the phone!

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

KISS

The listing stated that the system did power on

When the buyer received it the system did NOT power on.

End of story.  It is that simple.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

This type of issue is something I deal with on a regular basis when buying on eBay.

Sometimes I buy damaged Antique Purses for parts or repair, and sometimes damaged electronics are bought for parts or repair.

Just because you suggested that the piece was for parts doesn't mean that the buyer didn't assess it for repair.

Your buyer was told that it powered on and that would be one less thing to repair.  

The console arrived and didn't even power on that could mean hours of extra work for the buyer and could mean that console isn't worth the price.

These things matter. 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

KISS

The listing stated that the system did power on

When the buyer received it the system did NOT power on.

End of story.  It is that simple.

"for parts or not working" yet you stated it turns on, which means, on some level, working.

You cannot say "not working" and "working" in the same description.

Send the refund and move on. This is not one you will win.

Photobucket
Message 16 of 18
latest reply

I would Just wait and see what happens, maybe they will figure out the problem themselves.  Or maybe there was never really was a problem to begin with?   You don't have to give stuff away for free as soon as someone sends you a message with a problem.   Just keep in contact and see how it works out.

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Gave the buyer a partial refund of $10.  He was happy with this.

Message 18 of 18
latest reply