GST/HST on eBay Fees?

135 REPLIES 135

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

A question specifically for anguscoinshop...........

What do you  put in invoices,

either for  your store off eBay or for your store on eBay... 

to indicate that you collect GST/HST for each purchase?

Please answer this question... and only this question......

Message 81 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/bspsbch/itc-cti/menu-eng.html Input tax credits

As a GST/HST registrant, you may recover the GST/HST you paid or owe on purchases and expenses related to your commercial activities by claiming input tax credits

----------------

eBay has stated that they do not collect gst/hst on their fees and they do not submit taxes to Revenue Canada on your behalf.  Their fees are considered as being non taxable.  Therefore you do not pay gst/hst on their fees so you can't recover what you haven't paid in the first place. That's common sense.

Message 82 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

"....works against all  business principal. "

?????

The current Canadian laws and regulations work for business, not against business.

Very simple in fact: A GST/HST registered business gets a full refund (Input Tax Credit) of all taxes (GST/HST) paid on business related purchases and expenses.  All of them - full refund.

How could that ever be considered "against all  business principal"?

The only problem I see is your attempt to claim Input Tax Credits on taxes not paid such as those on eBay and PayPal fees.

Message 83 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

"eBay has stated that they do not collect gst/hst on their fees and they do not submit taxes to Revenue Canada on your behalf.  Their fees are considered as being non taxable.  Therefore you do not pay gst/hst on their fees so you can't recover what you haven't paid in the first place. That's common sense."

pj, it doesn't matter what ebay says, they like to twist the truth to there advantage 99.99% of the time.

GST stands for Good and Services tax, ebay fees fall are under Services and is taxable if your fees are $150.00 or more per month and that's according to the horses mouth itself, the CRA.

Don't try to argue this matter with me, that something you have to do with the CRA.

I did what i had to do to protect myself, ebay refuses to reveal there gst #.  I got my ruling, i'm protected.

ebay have made themselves vulnerable by refusing to give something as simple as a gst #. No transparency.

Before i started the process i phoned the CRA in this matter of ebay and no gst #. There reply was very simple, "if ebay refuses to give you there gst # DONT DEAL WITH THEM"

Final post is based on one of cumos"s post how was very close to having it spot on. More later.

Message 84 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

GST/HST Rulings..... found at

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gp/rc4405/rc4405-e.html

◦A ruling is a written statement that sets out the CRA position on how the relevant provisions of the Act apply to a clearly defined fact situation

Rulings are published...

Is your ruling available on the internet?

Message 85 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

" that something you have to do with the CRA."

I did and CRA has confirmed that eBay fees are not taxable and no GST/HST had ever been paid on them and they are not eligible for Input Tax Credits (ITC).

Any claim you make to the contrary is NOT based on facts.

Message 86 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

GST stands for Good and Services tax, ebay fees fall are under Services and is taxable if your fees are $150.00 or more per month and that's according to the horses mouth itself, the CRA.

I would like to see that in writing.  I have never heard of any goods or service that are taxable only after a specific amount. I pay tax on various services every month even though I am paying less than $150. 

Also, not all services and goods are taxable and apparently eBay's services are not taxable. I'm sure that if they were the tax department would have forced them to do so long ago.

Message 87 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

From reply 54, on page 3.

The only reference to $150  and in relation to GST/HST, has to do with..... Input Tax Credit (ITC) Information Requirements

This is present on page 14 at the following location n the CRA website.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gp/rc4022/rc4022-13e.pdf

The total amount of GST/HST paid on a service must always be identified on any invoice/receipt presented to record an Input  Tax Credit as per line 3 in the table.

The $150 value is not special or unique  when it comes to identifying ITC.

Every invoice/receipt  must show how much GST/HST must be paid by any seller when that seller buys inventory, buys supplies, or pays for a service, and only  then can  that seller use that dollar value as an ITC.

The invoice/receipt must identify how much GST/HST was paid by a person with a specific dollar value presented and indicated as GST/HST paid.

This amount paid becomes an ITC.

Message 88 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

I live in Winnipeg and travel to many stores throughout southern Manitoba looking for books to sell.

(1) Some thrift stores show a dollar value for GST on a receipt.  This value becomes an Input Tax Credit.

(2) Other thrift stores do not show GST on a receipt.....  In this situation  I cannot assume they are hiding the GST in the price of an item purchased.

There is no GST dollar value on the receipt... and no ITC associated with this purchase

and... most important.....

There is no statement, on the receipt,  saying that GST was included in the price of an item purchased

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If there is no dollar value for GST/HST or mention of GST anywhere  on an invoice or receipt,

then it cannot be assumed that GST/HST is included in the amount paid  for  an item, or a service.

Message 89 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

As a seller from Quebec I've been looking into this matter. I went to a show where there was a lot of coin dealers, this topic came along and they followed this board. Some of them already had the go ahead letter from the cra, all was based on business common sense.

Turned out that Angus Coin Shop is the only business on this board that got it correctly all the way.

Message 90 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

" the go ahead letter from the cra"

Are you suggesting there is a letter from CRA stating GST/HST is included in eBay fees charged to seller and those amounts can be claimed as ITCs?

If so could you please provide a link to such letter.

1) eBay-Canada (including the former Canada country manager who is a lawyer) has repeatedly stated over the years that GST/HST is not included in the fees charged as such services are not GST/HST taxable in Canada

2) Senior management at CRA has advised me that there is no such ruling suggesting GST/HST is included in fees paid to eBay or that the amounts paid were eligible to ITCs.

So far, quite frankly, credibility is with CRA and eBay-Canada until evidence to the contrary is provided.

Message 91 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

Andrea Stairs is not an accountant, doesn't work for the Canadian Gov. and i don't give any credibility to anyone who provides false information to the Canadian Gov.(its all there to read on the internet).

I don't know why some folks are so insistent on suppression this matter.

Does ebay have a gst/hst #; YES, CHECK

Canadian laws $125+ in fees; YES, CHECK

ITC allowed at $125 level+ ; YES, CHECK

IT ALL THERE AND UNSUPPRESSIBLE

Message 92 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

"Andrea Stairs is not an accountant, "

No reference was made to Andrea.

"Does ebay have a gst/hst #;"

Irrelevant unless the product or service is taxable.

Fort example, all grocery stores have a GST/HST number.  Yet when you buy basic groceries, no tax is charged even of the GST/HST registration is shown on the receipt.

"Canadian laws $125+ in fees"

There is no such law.  Someone made it up.

."ITC allowed at $125 level+ "

Again no such thing.  Someone made it up or took some facts totally out of context.

By all means, do not take my word for it.  Contact CRA in writing and ask for a reply in writing.

Message 93 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

You are out of touch with recent happenings.

Business world evolve as the tax system gradually change.

Message 94 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

Taking a quick look at the feedback you recently left for an eBay transaction, I now understand where your comments are coming from.

'Angus Coin Shop, Thank You and Goood customer!!!"

Message 95 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

You are getting more strange at every post. From what i've seen on this board, you have to stay on the subject.

This topic is very subjective in is own nature.

To give another seller a kudo when they gave you great information to restart my little venture is the least i can do.

Don't you agree ?

Message 96 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

@orsainville_collectibles_canada wrote:

Andrea Stairs is not an accountant, doesn't work for the Canadian Gov. and i don't give any credibility to anyone who provides false information to the Canadian Gov.(its all there to read on the internet).

I don't know why some folks are so insistent on suppression this matter.

Does ebay have a gst/hst #; YES, CHECK

Canadian laws $125+ in fees; YES, CHECK

ITC allowed at $125 level+ ; YES, CHECK

IT ALL THERE AND UNSUPPRESSIBLE

It is not a matter of anyone wanting to supress good information that would help sellers but there is information being given with nothing to back it up. Like Pierre, I would like to see the letter from the CRA that states that eBay fees do include gst/hst  and that a gst registered seller can receive a tax credit for taxes on those fees.  As mentioned before, I'm sure that there is a letter saying that taxes paid for  fees can be claimed on an ITC form even if there is no gst number or no tax amounts given on the invoice. But that is irrelevant if ebay doesn't actually charge taxes on their fees and there is no proof that they do.  If you have the letter or have seen it, please post what it ways without any personal information.

Please also show me or give me a link as to where it says anything about a Canada law and an ITC rule regarding $125 (or $150 as anguscoin stated) I'm not familiar with any such law or rule regarding ITC's.

I would also like to know how anguscoins explained to you why ebay would include taxes in their fees although they charge the same fees to everyone who sells in the same categories regardless of where they live.  For example, if you and him both had an ebay store, your fvf would be 6% on coins. Since he is in an hst province that means that if ebay's fees included taxes, his fees would include 13% in taxes and your fees would include 5% in taxes. On a $100 sale you would pay $6 in fvf consisting of $5.79 in fees and .21 gst.   On a $100 sale anguscoins would pay $6 fvf consisting of $5.31 in fees and .69 hst. If ebay charges and submits gst/hst to the government, do you really think that ebay would be willing to take less in fees from people from Ontario than those in Quebec?   Perhaps you have an explanation of how this works...I know that he ignores the question when I ask it.

If he or you are saying that ebay does  not submit the gst/hst collected to the government than I can't believe that those fees do include tax. There is no way that Revenue Canada would allow them to get away with that.  Common sense tells me that.

Message 97 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

To give another seller a kudo when they gave you great information to restart my little venture is the least i can do.

Don't you agree ?

I might give a kudo to someone who gave me information that was based on fact. But any time someone asks for more information about those 'facts" the request is ignored or an irrelevant stipulation is made.   I'm not comfortable agreeing with or following through on something that doesn't make sense and won't/can't be explained.

Message 98 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

I was wondering how long it would take for this discussion to be born again.

It was a few years back that a discussion about eBay fees and GST/HST occurred on eBay.

eBay edited the discussion  and placed it at the top of the discussion board for one month.

and  perhaps most important.

Every time someone came and promoted the ITC statement with respect to Bay fees containing ITC...  

That statement was removed by eBay.

Message 99 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

Unfortunately someone promotes the view  that eBay fees contain GST/HST...

This is 100 % totally not so.  

No one has provided a document... or ... a link to a CRA statement ...  that supports the claim that 

eBay fees contain GST/HST.

To anyone that has read this discussion....

Consult CRA  and be very specific  with respect to the question...

Do eBay fees contain GST/HST?  

and be very specific....

eBay's invoice  does not state that fees contain GST/HST, and that there is no official GST/HST business number presented  in the invoice. 

Message 100 of 136
latest reply