GST/HST on eBay Fees?

135 REPLIES 135

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

I don't know why all of you are entrenching yourselves so deeply into your positions. Someday hopefully, that letter will be uploaded and the 3 of you will have a lot of backtracking to do.

What i also see is three of you going against what all business are entitle.

The only reason i can see is all of you are paid be ebay, there's no other logical reason.

Message 101 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

"...into your positions"

Those are the Government of Canada tax rules.

Anyone knowingly claiming ITCs for taxes not paid or charged is committing fraud.  Check it out with your lawyer.

Message 102 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

actually i had a chat with the CRA, i asked them if ebay had a gst # yes check. what if they don't want to supply it to a business.

they had a simple reply; don't do business with them.

lying on this board is not a good thing

"Anyone knowingly claiming ITCs for taxes not paid or charged is committing fraud.  Check it out with your lawyer."

Or not remitting taxes collected, i hope ebay pays there gst/hst

Message 103 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

@orsainville_collectibles_canada wrote:

actually i had a chat with the CRA, i asked them if ebay had a gst # yes check. what if they don't want to supply it to a business.

lying on this board is not a good thing

"Anyone knowingly claiming ITCs for taxes not paid or charged is committing fraud.  Check it out with your lawyer."

Or not remitting taxes collected, i hope ebay pays there gst/hst

orsainville_collectibles_canada,

Your claims are unsubstantiated. eBay does not collect GST or HST on seller fees.We do, however, collect taxes on products imported via the GSP program. The tax number you are referring to is for that.

Once again, there are no taxes charged on eBay seller fees.

Thank you.

Message 104 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

I have faith on our taxation system, not ebay. when the top lies it transfers to the low echelon.

Message 105 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

orsainville - when I check your listings, I do not see a reference to you charging GST/HST on taxable sales to Canadian buyers.

Are you GST/HST (or TPS in Quebec) registered?

Also, I noticed you sell many non-taxable items.

When you purchase those non-taxable items from sellers who are GST/HST registered but do not charge you tax since the items are not taxable, do you still claim ITCs since the sellers do have a GST/HST registration number?

Message 106 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

What i also see is three of you going against what all business are entitle.

A business is not entitled to claim tax credits on taxes that they never paid in the first place.

The only reason i can see is all of you are paid be ebay, there's no other logical reason.

The only person who posted on this board that is paid by Ebay is Raphael. Please explain to me why eBay want want to pay anyone to say that they didn't charge taxes on fees?  How would disagreeing with you benefit eBay in any way? Please explain.

Having a gst number doesn't prove any of what you are saying. Did the CRA say that service that eBay provides to sellers here is a taxable service? Did you ask them that? 

I have faith on our taxation system, not ebay. when the top lies it transfers to the low echelon.

lol Well you are one of the few who has faith in the taxation system but regardless....unless the CRA told you that ebay provides a taxable service to you...they haven't told you anything that supports your theory. Did they specifically tell you that eBay seller fees are taxable?  Yes or no?

If you really believe that you are entitled to claim taxes on your ITC form then please answer some of the questions that people on the board here have.It's unlikely that repeating the same things that anguscoins has already said will change someone's mind.

Message 107 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

I was looking all over this board to see  what kind of participation there is. i find there's very few returning participant. I now know why people i know just don't want to get involved just knowing they would suppressed by the 3 of you.

This subject is very important for business. There's a lot of misinformation being given by some of you.

ITC for fees of all kind weather its bank, ebay, amazon, bonanza or any other business, exist. Its a simple fact of life.

The CRA have the rules to protect  the canadian people and business alike.

So stop it, the nonsense  you are posting is hard wash.

I wish the moderators would stop this ganging up linching.

Message 108 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

By the way, screaming is not polite at all. This a discussion board not a screaming match.
Message 109 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

No one is ganging up on you or lynching you or anyone else. This a discussion board and there are no rules that people have to come to the same conclusion when having a discussion.   But you don't seem to be here for a discussion anyway as you've ignored any questions or comments that don't agree with your theory.

ITC for fees of all kind weather its bank, ebay, amazon, bonanza or any other business, exist. Its a simple fact of life.

Yes, you can claim ITC if you have paid gst/hst on that service. But not everything is  gst taxable and apparently eBay seller fees are not taxable.  If the CRA has deemed that they are taxable,then  there is no reason for eBay to tell us otherwise.

I did ask you if the CRA told you that eBay sellers fees were taxable but you didn't reply so I have to guess that you didn't ask them that. But if you didn't ask them,  I don't understand how you are so sure that their fees include tax and that you are paying taxes on those fees   If the fees are not taxable then you are not paying gst/hst on the fees and there are no taxes to get back as a tax credit.

I don't care how you handle your own business but I don't think that your information is correct and if anyone reading this is not sure how tax credits work, I hope that this discussion makes them do some research on their own before assuming  that they are entitled to claim a tax credit on the fees here.

Message 110 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

orsainville - in post 106 I asked you a few simple questions.  Why not simply answer them if you are confident your position is correct?

Message 111 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

What IF   ????

Let us do some mathematics...  and we can see who is in error.

(1) Let us start  with Canadian sellers, one from each province of  Canada...

(2) Each seller pays $100 in fees to eBay.

(3) You say that eBay's fees includes GST or HST

(4) For an Ontario seller HST = 13 %.

and  that $100 includes  (13/113) ($100)  = $11.50 in HST.

(5) For a Manitoba seller GST = 5%

and that $100 includes (5/105) X ($100) = $4.76 in GST

Now we have the following 

Conclusion....

the Manitoba seller on eBay pays $95.24  fees to eBay... while that Ontario seller pays $88.50 

There is no need to go any further....

-------------------------------

Does this actually occur?   No, absolutely NO..  NO... NO....

$100 in fees  is the same for all Canadian sellers.....  $100 in fees.

without GST for a Manitoba seller

and

without HST for an Ontario seller.

---------------------------------------

eBay fees ... DO NOT contain GST... or HST....

Message 112 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

Mathematics has shown that making a claim

that...  GST/HST are included in fees charged by eBay ... is NOT logical

This approach creates an inequality in fees charged to Canadian sellers .... the amount eBay receives after GST or HST ... are deducted

and ... as a result.... those fees  would differ between GST and HST provinces,  

and then ...  among HST provinces where HST equals 13 %, 14 % or 15 %.

------------------------------------------------------------------

$100 in fees charged by eBay is the same for all Canadian Sellers  in all provinces/territories of Canada.

The logical way for a company to apply GST/HST in such a situation is to calculate GST or HST as a percentage of the fees charged to a seller.

For every $100 in fees  that charge would be GST = $5.00 for GST provinces,  and then 

$100 plus $13.00 or $14.00 or $15.00 for HST Provinces.

--------------------------------------------------------

Based on  CRA regulations  .....each invoice MUST  identify the amount of GST/HST charged  and a company's business number must also be stated in the invoice.

None of this occurs on an eBay invoice... because eBay is NOT required to charge GST/HST.

------------------------------------------------------

Any argument that .................. eBay fees include GST/HST     is DEAD ...

This is NOT logical... when applied to Canadian sellers in all provinces/territories ... The end result is an inequality in fees charge to Canadian sellers among all provinces.

and CANNOT be justified.......

Message 113 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

"Any argument that .................. eBay fees include GST/HST     is DEAD ..."

Most informed GST/HST registered sellers do agree with that except for the posters suggesting they know better than eBay about eBay's tax status.

However, the tax fraud problem may go much deeper than that.  The basic argument I read over and over is that if the seller has a GST/HST registration number, then one could claim ITCs regardless of the taxable status of the product or service sold.

And that is the real problem.

Now, who made that claim?  Coin dealers.  Possibly people purchasing some of their inventory from the Canadian Mint.  The Canadian Mint does have a GST/HST registration number although the bulk of its sales is for non taxable products.

What is a coin dealer to do?  Claim ITCs for purchases of non-taxable items from the mint on the basis they have a GST/HST registration number? As they do with the non taxable fees from eBay?

I wish my earlier simple questions had been answered.

Message 114 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

ebay has a registered #, they are fair game and the cra has a # to draw from. Ultimately, this matter is on a case by case base and decided strictly by the CRA.

When you play by the CRA's rule, you are safe.

Message 115 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

You are avoiding the issue.  Why don't you answer the few questions asked earlier.

Message 116 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

well starting July 1st 2017 Ebay will be charging GST/HST on ebay fees 

Since the former ebay international is now registered as a Canadian Ebay corporation.

Message 117 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

Sorry to be ignorant but I did not understood well.

The TAXES will be charged where?

on each transaction fees?

or only on the subscription fees

Only when a Canadian buyer buy something?

This apply to any buyer, internationally? and we are charged % of taxes on every sales?

What is it all about?

and

They do this so the Canadian government will be able to monitor everything from their Canadian sellers so those who forgot to declare something will be prosecuted more easily?

thanks for helping me out on this please

Message 118 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

We had a major discussion about this a few years back... 

The discussion was edited to reflect the correct information as presented by CRA.... Canada Revenue Agency

That discussion was pinned to the top of the discussion board for a extra month.

Lots of good information.....

Now we have a major correction coming on July 1, 2017

eBay will be charging taxes on fees...  all fees....  basic fees,  such as store subscription and listing fees,  plus FVF.... Final Value Fees.

There can be no further discussion....  It will be obvious as  a labelled invoice entry/amount....  eBay will charge and remit this tax to CRA... like any other business registered to collect GST/HST.

Then for each  registered seller that sells on eBay... ... that is sellers  registered to collect GST/HST... that amount charged on fees  will become an ITC........ an Input Tax Credit.

Message 119 of 136
latest reply

GST/HST on eBay Fees?

@rawx4u wrote:

The TAXES will be charged where?

on each transaction fees?

or only on the subscription fees

Only when a Canadian buyer buy something?

This apply to any buyer, internationally? and we are charged % of taxes on every sales?

There are lots of other more up to date threads on this topic.

Starting July 1, GST/HST will be charged on your monthly eBay.CA invoice. Nothing else involved.

-..-

Message 120 of 136
latest reply