GST vs USDollar

Hi, recieved a request from one of my buyers asking if I can adjust the GST charges on the invoice to reflect the USD currency that is being used for this transaction. The problem is I use US Funds with all my listings and transactions. I have no clue how one would do this, and even if I could, with the US and Canadian dollar changing every day, this would be a very time consuming task.

Anyone with thoughts?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

GST vs USDollar

The request makes no sense. The tax is a % based on the selling price. Does the buyer want to pay Cdn dollar GST on the American dollar price?
Photobucket
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

GST vs USDollar

Sure it makes sense. If I am selling in US funds and the tax in your area lets say is 13% , it is going to cost you more in American than in Canadian. The problem is I cant change my listing that in USfunds  to Canadian just for the GST

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

GST vs USDollar

It does not make any difference. Let's say the exchange rate is 10%. A sale of $100 U.S. would cost $100 US plus $ 13 US in tax for a $113 total in US dollars which would equal $124.30 Canadian.

If you want to charge tax in Canadian dollars the $100 US is $110 Canadian and the tax is $14.30 for at total of $124.30.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

GST vs USDollar

@10hello9 wrote:

Sure it makes sense. If I am selling in US funds and the tax in your area lets say is 13% , it is going to cost you more in American than in Canadian. The problem is I cant change my listing that in USfunds  to Canadian just for the GST

That is not at all what you asked. You asked simply how to change the GST. Sounds more like you are asking how to charge two different prices, $100 in US to American buyers and $100 Cdn to Cdn buyers. Why are you giving Cdns a 12% on your price? That comes out of your pocket.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 5
latest reply