Get rid of "Add item specifics"!!

One of the many, if not the most, annoying things about the website makeover is eBay's insistence on badgering us. For example, as sellers not only can we see fewer items per screen in Active view because of the enlarged size of each entry, we see even fewer (2½ per screen on my laptop) because a whole row is taken up FOR EVERY LISTING with "Add recommended item specifics" in a light blue box on the left and "Add item specifics" in a dark blue box on the right. This is an OPTION! I don't need it shoved in my face. I take quite a bit of trouble to provide accurate titles and descriptions for my listings. Item Specifics are generic, provide less specific information, and at best merely duplicate what can be written more informatively in descriptive prose. As a buyer too I'm much more interested in reading a description than in looking at a formulaic table. eBay is treating us more and more like children and needs to learn that its job is to provide resources and then back off.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Item Specifics are aimed at customers using keyword Searches and more importantly at Google Searches.

They are an option.

So don't use them.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Item Specifics are aimed at customers using keyword Searches and more importantly at Google Searches.

They are an option.

So don't use them.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I don't use them. I'm talking about eBay reminding me to use them.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I use them because some buyers use them. If a buyer searches and your listing comes up in the search, the buyer may use an item specific on the left side to filter the results. Your listing will be dropped from the search results because it does not have that item specific filled in.

In my opinion you are just reducing your chance of selling your item by eliminating potential buyers from seeing your item. It may reduce it a little or a lot for you. No way to know. 

I dislike some item specifics because they do not seem to apply. I fill in the ones required to stop eBay nagging me. Sometimes I have to put Does not apply or None.

With eBay, you have to adapt to their changes. It has been like that forever. The constant change is very annoying for buyers and sellers. Especially sellers having to redo their listings all the time. Too much time spent working on changes.

Please note that this is my buying ID so it has low feedback. I had another selling ID with much more feedback and sales over 10 years. I shut it down 2-3 years ago because of the constant changes and I was just tired of selling. It was not fun anymore. I now started selling again on a new eBay ID since January this year.  Just casually for fun again. Selling personal items and items around the house. Retired in poor health so trying to keep busy in this pandemic. LOL. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

The Item Specific that makes me laugh is the request for the type of cuisine covered in Non-Fiction Books.

Uh, yeah, this is a vintage book from the 30s on home movie making. And the cuisine is-- Creole!

Message 5 of 5
latest reply