Going to the US to ship an item

Hi, has anyone sold an item to someone in the US, and drove it across the border and shipped the item from the US to save on shipping costs? If yes, are there any procedures or rules that I have to follow when crossing the border from Canada to the US with a parcel, and any other information that I should know. I would like to start selling items to the American market, but the cost to ship an item using Canada post is way too much. Thanks.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

No need to go to the US. Your listings show you are located in Toronto. Chitchat's Express is a company with several location in the Toronto area that bring the packages to the USA for you so you can use USPS. Google search on Chitchat Express. Many eBay sellers use them. They also have locations in Vancouver, Ottawa, Halifax, Montreal.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

As I understand it, it is necessary to have a permit to do this.

Doing it once shouldn't be a problem,but if you are making it a practice, the border guards will be checking your paperwork.

Also.

You do realize that what you make on the coconuts, you are losing on the roundabouts, eh?

Are you figuring your travel costs including your own wages (minimum wage in ON is 19 cents a minute)?

Since you are near a company that does this cheaply and legally, it is well worth your time to check out chitchat. They have an excellent reputation with Canadian eBay sellers.

They also have a Vancouver office (formerly bookstotheborder). There are similar companies in Calgary and Montreal.

Another thought, if shipping is making your chosen items too expensive, maybe the problem is the item and not the shipping cost.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

IF you decide to drive across and ship from a US PO, your items have to be unwrapped.  Borderguards don't like anything concealed, and you need to fill out a manifest, detailing everything you're taking across the border.  The form is available at the border.  I used to get a bunch of forms to have on hand.  You can then get everything ready before you leave home.  Also the PO want you to have a US return address on your packages (which you have to wrap once you've crossed) 

I used to go once a week to send to my US buyers.  Did some dairy, gas and grocery shopping at the same time.  You should consider all the expenses and possible lineups and inconveniences with crossing the border.  It worked fine for me, and my US buyers were happy, but then I lived in a small bordertown with very little traffic, and nice borderguards.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@dressemporia wrote:

Hi, has anyone sold an item to someone in the US, and drove it across the border and shipped the item from the US to save on shipping costs? If yes, are there any procedures or rules that I have to follow when crossing the border from Canada to the US with a parcel, and any other information that I should know. I would like to start selling items to the American market, but the cost to ship an item using Canada post is way too much. Thanks.

Since you are in Toronto check out chitchatsexpress.com or stallionexpress.com -- both will take parcels across the border to be mailed at USA domestic rates. You purchase the shipping from an American shipper (USPS, FedEx, etc), drop off the parcel to either chitchat or stallion, and for a small fee they take the parcel across the border and drop off with the shipper you've picked.  Both companies let you use an American return mail address.

Maximum parcel value they can handle is $800US,

-..-

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

The form you need to give to the US Customs is 7533.  

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/CBP%20Form%207533_0.pdf

Instructions are available online.

You will need something to show customs what the item is and it's value.  You can print the ebay invoice, that's good enough.  Look for the printer friendly link.

It doesn't matter what the value is, it's considered a commercial import.  You must get in line with the transports.  If you have your paperwork ready and you go through the Nexus lane, they'll take away your card. US Customs charges a fee when you cross.  It used to be $10.75, I think it's $13-something now.  This is a fee for your vehicle.  Walk or cycle across, there's no fee.  I did that yesterday.

You do not need a permit to import into the USA.

You do not need a US return address on your packages.  First class mail includes return to any country in the world, regardless of how it got into the USPS stream.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@a52split wrote:
You do not need a US return address on your packages.  First class mail includes return to any country in the world, regardless of how it got into the USPS stream.

That only works for first class mail because the USPS almost never checks to see what postage was paid on first class returns.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Three sellers of books that live in Winnipeg routinely delivered books to the USPS in Pembina,  ND.

I know that one seller is registered as a business in Pembina, ND.

One seller  is close to retirement.   He used to list  heavily , at up to 20,000 books on eBay, rotating inventory on eBay every 30 days.  ...  at times he delivered 300 to 500 books   to use  USPS Media mail.    It was a trip each week... and a few times it was two trips per week.  This bookseller has been online since  the very first start of selling on the internet...long before eBay was a dream....

One can deliver to the US and  use USPS... but one has to know exactly what paperwork is required  and what must be done when the border is crossed..

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@pinetreecottage wrote:

IF you decide to drive across and ship from a US PO, your items have to be unwrapped.  Borderguards don't like anything concealed, and you need to fill out a manifest, detailing everything you're taking across the border.  

It isn't a requirement, all that is required is the inward cargo manifest to accompany your goods, so long as your are importing under the informal entry limits.Your goods are subject to random inspection and a record of your crossings is maintained and periodic inspections of your packages will be performed. What is important is to ensure compliance, meaning your goods are eligible for import, country of origin is clearly marked on the goods, and any safety labelling as required by the category of goods is present. If you are importing goods for personal or business use back into Canada, then you will want to have those open for inspection.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply