HELP: Buyer wants to return item for very odd reasons

I’ve never had to deal with a return.

This is what they said:
“ Weapon holding nub along one of the model swords was damaged prior to being shipped to me, as the piece could not be found in the packaging. The weapon does not fasten into the hands as a result. Left arm articulation joints are stiff to the point of immobility, other joints are also varyingly stiff to lesser degrees. Nothing was said or displayed about any of these issues in the listing description.”

Sounds red flaggy to me. To many words and very oddly specific. It’s not supposed to move… it’s a display collectable and 15 years old…

did not think their was any issues with it. And he states the “nub” is no their that goes in hand hole to stay in place, is clearly visible and their in the photo he showed.

So I’m confused. Also all about the articulation. It’s an old collectable that’s been in the same position in my glass display case for 12 years I mentioned in the used section…

Upon inspection and packing it up I felt their was no issues with the item.

I have 17 photos of many angles of it. Not much I could show or say about it. 🤷🏻‍♀️

They are a buyer with 0 feedback and from March 5 2023. Do you think they are trying to scam me?

What should I do or say?

Thank you for your time and help.
Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Listing.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/325775304459

The item looks how it did in my photos when listed.Screen Shot 2023-12-13 at 7.00.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-12-13 at 7.02.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-12-13 at 7.02.32 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-12-13 at 7.02.22 PM.png

Message 2 of 38
latest reply

I honestly never noticed it as an issue. But that broken peice is clearly shown in 3 of my photos. What do I do? Do I message the buyer and say what? Thank you.

Message 3 of 38
latest reply

I just messaged them with a nice customer service type of message siding with the buyer, asking if they would accept a partial refund. 🤞
Message 4 of 38
latest reply

If they say no, ask them to open a Not As Described dispute with eBay.

Now, they're probably being picky, but that is also why they did such a thorough job of describing the fault to you.

(My SIL says she's" CDO -- because OCD is not in alphabetical order". )

IF they do,and scammers won't, you will be required to send a return shipping label.

If they are in the USA,you may have to do this through Shippo. Some US scammers think Canadians can't do this. They are wrong.

Do this promptly.

Then when you get the model back,refund promptly.

If it is not returned, do not send anything not even a partial.

And of course relist .

FWIW.

Many collectors put their 'collecting allowance' into buying gifts at this time of year.

But they go back to collecting, often spending more than usual, after the holidays.

So while your relist would miss Christmas, that is not necessarily a Bad Thing.

Message 5 of 38
latest reply

The buyer is in the US. I attempted to try to use Shippo once, until I found out the nearest drop off location was not that near and in a sketchy area. 😅
Message 6 of 38
latest reply

Huh?

Shippo is online.

https://apps.goshippo.com/login?next=https://app.goshippo.com/orders/manual/

You can buy USPS labels through their website.

Then you send the buyer a pdf of the label, and they drop off at their nearest post office.

I was unaware thatShippo did any physical shipping at all.

Message 7 of 38
latest reply

If the buyer will not accept a partial refund and opens a return (regardless of the reason) you have to accept as you do offer returns on your listings. If the buyer opens a return using one of  the 'not as described' reason you have to either refund right away or accept the return and refund when you get the item back even if you don't accept returns.

If an item you are selling has any defects, you should mention that on the description. Don't depend on buyers seeing the problem in pictures.

Message 8 of 38
latest reply

Shippo is just a provider who prints label.  If you are printing a Canada Post label at Shippo you would mail the package at any CP outlet, post office or post box. In this case you would simply be buying a usps through them that you would save as a pdf and then send it to your customer through the return system or via email.  You cam also buy a usps label through Pirateship.com.

Message 9 of 38
latest reply

Good move.  Hope you can work something out.  

Message 10 of 38
latest reply

Ah, pardon me. I was thinking of Chit Chats for some reason. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ Ah, ok gotchya, makes sense. Thank you.
Message 11 of 38
latest reply

Right. Ok, thank you. This was an issue I was not aware of my self until the buyer pointed it out. 😑
Message 12 of 38
latest reply

The buyer has not responded yet…
Message 13 of 38
latest reply

If they have not opened an INAD case, just wait.    Until they respond or open an INAD you have no obligation to reach out further or prod them.   

You have a record in eBay messaging that you responded with an offer to work it out, so nothing more to do until you hear back or they open an INAD.   

Sometimes folks just let it go when they get back a reasonable response - rare but I have had it happen.

Message 14 of 38
latest reply

The buyer never responded to my option I selected of message to work things out, about the return dispute, about if they are willing to take a partial refund or not.

The dispute has until tomorrow for me to act.

If they don’t respond to my message by then, am I forced to give them a return label or does eBay step in and review the buyers message and my message response and makes the final decision?

Thank you.
Message 15 of 38
latest reply

Did they open an INAD case (official return request), or did they send you a message request?   I would call eBay or contact them through social to get a clarification that you are following the eBay process ok, and if you can do it this evening before the bots kick in tomorrow.   

From the original post I didn't think that there was an INAD claim.   If it is an INAD I would send a return label, as if you don't the bots could just rule against you and issue the refund.   Even if you send a return label you can try to work something out with the buyer, and have an unused label refunded.  

Message 16 of 38
latest reply

I belive so, its listed as a return request. My funds are on hold. I cant find the reason now that i selected accept send return shipping label, but if I remembered correctly, the buyer selected "Not a described/not as expected"? I showed the photos from the listing in a message to the buyer close up of the defect that the buyer thought was damage from shipping.

Im currently trying to figure out how to create a return label in shippo for the US buyer.

Message 17 of 38
latest reply

My husband and I are trying to figure out how to create a return shipping label through Shippo from me Canada for US buyer.

It’s very confusing. How do we make a label when we don’t have the dimensions of the item we no longer have!? Help!!!!! 😭😩
Message 18 of 38
latest reply

We can’t figure out how to create the return label. We don’t know what to do about the customs declaration and the dimensions. 😩
Message 19 of 38
latest reply

I’m in Canada and the buyer is in the US*
Message 20 of 38
latest reply