HS code for antique car parts shipping to Australia

Would anyone be able to provide a site or any info as to where I can find this? I have looked at customs Australia but I am still unsure as to which code applies.

Thanks for any help!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@lilairman wrote:

Would anyone be able to provide a site or any info as to where I can find this? I have looked at customs Australia but I am still unsure as to which code applies.

Thanks for any help!

2 more sites that work really well when you have to pinpoint an HS code accurately below.

https://www.goglobalpost.com/hs-code-lookup-tool/

https://www.tariffinder.ca/en/getStarted

You may also want to confirm with Canadapost for special requirements for exporting to Australia. See tool attached.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/information/app/wtz/business/displaySpecialRequirements?execu...

And special requirements importing  into Australia:

https://www.abf.gov.au/importing-exporting-and-manufacturing/importing/how-to-import/requirements#:~....

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

If it's for the ignition coil:

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1674766715240.png

You will need to confirm country of origin. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

You can get the codes here.

Canada Post - Find a Harmonized System Code (canadapost-postescanada.ca)

Type in antique car part and then choose the options from there.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@lilairman wrote:

Thanks for any help!

2 more sites that work really well when you have to pinpoint an HS code accurately below.

https://www.goglobalpost.com/hs-code-lookup-tool/

https://www.tariffinder.ca/en/getStarted

You may also want to confirm with Canadapost for special requirements for exporting to Australia. See tool attached.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/information/app/wtz/business/displaySpecialRequirements?execu...

And special requirements importing  into Australia:

https://www.abf.gov.au/importing-exporting-and-manufacturing/importing/how-to-import/requirements#:~....

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

If it's for the ignition coil:

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1674766715240.png

You will need to confirm country of origin. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Thank you , that looks very helpful, will bookmark for future reference as well!

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Thank you for this info, much appreciated! Lots of good stuff there!

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Hi @lilairman , 

Unfortunately your question is too general to provide much help. 

What exactly is the item? What is it's value?

Shipping internationally and doing it succesfully depends on exactly what it is, what it's made of and how much it's worth.   For example due to restrictions shipping a wooden dashboard to Germany is going to be a whole different ballgame than shipping it to Australia. Shipping a leather headrest to Australia will be different than shipping it to Germany. That being said all I have to offer is very diluted.

My 1st recommendation is, if possible, use the tariff list of the courier you are using. If you are using Canada Post use their list. If you are using UPS use their list. The codes are the same however the variety of choices are more substantial on UPS than on Canada Post. When it comes to shipping an organic material like wood, leather or bone (all used in antique autombiles) sometimes you need to be exact. 

If you're shipping a metal bolt it's unlikely you will have a restricted item held at customs. If you're shipping an ivory shift knob ...

Australia is a long trip. Shipping is expensive so do your due dilligence.  I have a fair bit of knowledge.  In most cases you only need a 6 digit tariiff (Harmonization) code.  The code for a Cadillac Sedan De Ville rear sidepanel emblem is 8708.99.  The fact it's plastic is not indicated by its 6 digit code which translates to " Motor Vehicle/Passenger/ Parts & Accessories/ Other.   If the item was made out of wood (organic matter) you probably shouldn't use the code. 

From my experience the three main mistakes when exporting are providing the wrong tarriff code, not identifying the exact material an item is made from,( EG mahogany, iron wood and rosewood are completely different when it comes to export)  and not identifying the proper Country of Origin where the item was originally born (not the Point of Origin which is the location the item is being shipped from). 

A small light item like the plastic emblem from a Sedan De Ville is more likely to enjoy a normal delivery using 870899 as the tariff code.  The code is the same from one courier's tariff list to another.  This would not be the case if the emblem was made of a material restricted in some countries and not others.

A heavy metallic item or a large rosewood dashboard is more likely to be examined. As we have no idea what the item is you are asking about this information is "universal" and for others as well. Please give more details when asking about customs so those than want to help you out can better assist. 

In general;

You want your  documents to be accurate so get correct answers from your courier.  I suggest you attach 2 copies of your accurate customs docs to the outside of your package. Do not rely on Canada Post labels for customs clearance. We always attach 2 copies of a proper invoice to the outside. If the package gets sidelined at customs for exam they can review the docs, scan the item and then decide whether or not to chop our  carefully painstakingly packaged item out of our package. Ouch!

Everyone, your courier, the broker, Customs and your buyer ALL want you to succeed. My first risky shipment was an expensive guitar I shipped to Czechoslovakia in 1982.  A month later I received a big thank you from the buyer for packing it well. In those pre computer days the unsold guitar magazines in our store were used as packing material. The buyer in Czechoslovakia liked the magazines more than the guitar! 

When it comes to shipping you have only one chance to do it right. 

IT

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

PS Probably the magazines were prohibited... ;>}

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

The Harmonized Codes are supposed to be identical from nation to nation.

How the country treats the import will vary.

So the Canada Post link is as useful as the Australian one, and I have found it easier to use than the US one.
I have found it helpful to write down the HS codes I use most often.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Thank you for your input!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Thank you for your detailed reply!

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Thankyou for your input!

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Glad to help. Here's a Tariff Tip!

SUMMARY for those who don't want to read the whole thing 🙂

If you ship a lot internationally, in a variety of tariff catergories you may already have your item's listing pictures in a folder.

Simply name it  with a sku that auto-sorts the folders by category. You may as well only look up the tariff code once. You're going to fill out a shipping label with the tariff code on it.  Save the label to your item's photo folder. Never hurts to have a copy of the label & photos.

In the future you can retrieve your codes instantly by clicking on any saved folder  used for something similar. 

Femme fan is correct about the codes.  There is however a huge variety in how they populate or "drill down".  Canada Post is the fastest I've found but it can be tricky because it hides some of the categories. UPS starts up with all the categories showing and you can drill down from there. 

What I sell requires a huge variety of codes so it helps to see them all sometimes. If you sell similar items all of the time you would tend to reuse the same codes. Not sure if you do a lot of vehicle parts but I would guess the variety of tariff numbers may be extensive. In that case I would look at a few different lists from couriers and see what suits you. 

Another tip that helps me a lot is sthat we save all the tariff codes as we ship out. Each item we have has a sku starting with a code for the category of the item. For example the sku for our metal drum stands start with "4223".

When a piece of drum hardware is shipped out it's folder of listing photos is moved to a parent folder containing the sales for that year.  We started this a few years back when eBay lost millions of seller's photos. Actually eBay is retooking some servers now I heard. Yikes!

We save the Canada Post receipt or the commercial invoice with the tariff code on it to the photo file when we move it to "Solds". Due to the sku prefix IE: 4223 all items will be sorted together by Windows.  They all have the same tariff codes.

When another piece of drum hardware needs to be shipped we go to the folders and get the tariff code without going online.  It takes just a few seconds. The only time I look up a code online is when we sell something we haven't sold before. 

I keep watching for a code that is different after entering the Country Of Origin but so far I haven't come across one. We ship mostly to the USA> I do not know if "Harmonized" has different codes for occasional different possibly un-harmonized countries? I haven't found one. Maybe @femmefan1946  or @lotzofuniquegoodies  could confirm it please?

Thanks!

IT 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply