Help pages for sellers show misleading information

So just had my first shipment go missing to the US. Fine no big deal. Followed the eBay page 

https://www.ebay.ie/pages/help/pay/refund-buyer.html

Turns out this information is misleading. I Followed the instructions. Contacted seller, issued paypal refund..... then on the third step I had an issue. The cancel options does not have seller didn't get item as an option. Called eBay. They told me I can't get final fees back because i issued a refund through paypal. WHICH THEIR OWN HELP PAGE TELLS ME TO DO! Why would their page tell us to do something that loses us our fees? Feels very slimy to be honest.

Carl

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I would phone ebay again.  You don't get an automatic fvf credit when you refund through paypal but they can still credit your account upon request.

Unfortunately, ebay.ca help pages are often out of date so I usually go by the .com help pages.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Are you the seller?

The cancel options does not have seller didn't get item as an option

Do you mean Canada Post did not return the item to you?

Return to Sender and Undeliverable items are not a high priority. They can take months to get back to you.

Refunding your buyer and getting your fees back should not impact this.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

That is an eBay Ireland help page.

They could have different rules and policies than eBay .ca or .com 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Good catch!

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Interesting that it's a 2019 Help page but it allows customers emails or phone numbers.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Interesting that it's a 2019 Help page but it allows customers emails or phone numbers.

It's not a 2019 page -- the copyright notice at the bottom is boilerplate time coverage.

And if you click on the email/phone link it only talks about using the eBay message system.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @7366carl - 

The page you reference is an eBay Ireland Help Page. They have different processes to follow and that would be the best process to follow if the item was listed on eBay.ie. 

In looking at our own Help Pages, I can see how this would be confusing. 

If you issued a full refund via the transaction in PayPal, you should still be able to issue a cancellation through eBay and receive a credit of your fees. It would just take up to 10 business days to process as we'd ask the buyer to confirm they received a refund. 

If you issued a 'send money' refund that will be more difficult, as we won't have a way to verify that this was issued. 

In the future, if you need to issue a refund, you can do that directly through an eBay request like a return or item not received, or a cancellation notice. That will automate both the refund to the buyer as well as any fee credit that's due to you. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 8
latest reply