Help with listings

Please tell me a better way to list my items (descriptions and such). The pictures are fine. Any help with descriptions as I am not selling anything. When I do searches for my stuff it isn't showing up.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Help with listings

Your pictures are fairly good although I would suggest using a plain background and crop the pictures so that it isn't so obvious that they were taken on a bed..some people are funny about stuff like that.

Use your item specifics more. If someone narrows their search by checking off boxes on the right, the search will look for those words in your item specifics.For example, in the item specific for clothing you can include the color, size, short or long sleeved, season, gender, etc... I notice that you have done that with some listings but not all.

With lots, make sure that your first picture shows everything as some people may not read the title but just look at pic. For example on item 291124722830 the gallery pic looks as if you are selling two pcs but I think that the listing actually has 4 or more pcs in it?  It's a good idea to be more specific in the description.

Included:

1 pr white pants

1 pr blue pants

1 purple d

I believe that brackets and other punctuation in titles confuses search englines...don't use them

The words that people are going to search for should be within the first few words of the title so instead of

Kids Toddlers Mix Lot-Very Good Condition-Pants, Shirts, Sleepers-Size 24 Months

Kids Toddlers 10 pc Lot Pants Shirts Sleepers 24 Months

I'm undecided whether or not the condition belongs in the title. Do people actually search using those words??  You might also want to figure out whether kids or toddlers are common search words. I don't sell clothes so I'm not sure which words would work best

Any particular reasons that you use auctions rather than Fixed Price listings? I think that unless an item is rare or quite popular, the end price rarely goes much higher than the starting bid. Some people want to purchase an item right away but aren't going to pay 30% more than the starting auction price so many of your items might do better at a reasonable Fixed Price.

Hope some of the suggestions are helpful..all are just my opinion.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Help with listings

Selling clothing is not like selling other items - pictures are everything.  Buyers need to be able to visualize the garments on a person, in 3 dimensions, and the photos need to create special interest.  Although I know you didn't want any input with regard to your pictures, in my view they are actually not fine.  I'd suggest the following:

1)  Re-take the photos of all the clothing now shown lying flat on a bedspread.  That is the least attractive way of displaying a garment.  Cropping out the bedspread seems like a simple solution, but isn't the answer for good garment photos, for two reasons: (a) the remains of the pattern in the bedspread are only going to distract from the garment; and (b) the garment really should be shown upright, without the perception distortion that happens when you try to photograph a large, flat article from a low angle.  You have the right idea in the 2 photos of the bright pink top that were taken upright against a white background. 

2)  If you absolutely have to display a piece of clothing flat, use a neutral background without any design at all, and preferably with little or no colour.  A plain white linen tablecloth laid on a large, flat table will work.  Try to take the photo from directly above (get on a chair or step-stool) to minimize perspective distortions.

3)  Better than a flat picture (if you don't have a mannequin), put the garment on a plastic hanger padded with some cloth or a towel underneath to create a 3-dimensional look.  Hang the garment (on the hanger) against a smooth, neutral or very light-coloured background, with lots of light.  A plain white door will do, but crop out the edges of the door in the final picture.  If the garment has some trim or special features, take close-up photos of those.  If you're really creative and have a programme on your computer to do it, you can even mask out unwanted extraneous things like hanger hooks and door edges (Microsoft "Paint" works well for this).

4)  Best still, if you plan to sell a lot of garments, find a suitably-sized mannequin or a live model (you don't need to show their face). 

5)  Consider using the "Gallery Plus" feature when listing, to give your pictures immediate impact on search results pages.  If you can't afford it on every item, pick the best one you have and pay the extra $1.00 for that one. 

Really outstanding garment photos will get you more attention; poor photos will cause buyers to pass by your listings. 

Regarding descriptions:

1)  With clothing, the main thing is that you need to try to generate some excitement in your descriptions -- People who buy clothing (even for kids) can't touch them, examine the colour, or try on the items, so you need to do that for them in your description.  Describe the feel of the material, and give as full a description of the colour as you can.  Is it a heavy-weight fabric, light, summer weight?  Describe any smaller features in detail (pockets, trims, collar type, lined/unlined, etc.).  It's also a good idea to include a short disclaimer at the end of the description to remind buyers that computers display colours differently.

2)  Make sure each description (including the item specifics) includes as much information as you have about the garment -- maker's name, size on label (but see #3 below), stated fabric content, garment care (wash/hand-wash/dry-clean).  If the garment is used, indicate whether it's been washed or dry-cleaned already (this is a specific eBay requirement when selling used clothing).  

3)  When selling clothes, you should always include actual measurements (in inches as well as centimetres) in your description.  Sizes stated on labels are notoriously unreliable - they can vary from country to country and even from one manufacturer to the other).  Include basic details, even for kids' clothes:

- chest (measure flat, armpit to armpit, then double it for the full chest measurement)

- waist (indicate whether very loose or very tight-fitting)

- hip (for pants/skirts/dresses and longer jackets)

- sleeve length, measured from the shoulder point

- pant length (from inner crotch seam - "inseam" - to hem edge

General suggestions:

1)  Make the font size in your descriptions a little larger.  It might be hard for some people to read (I had some trouble with it).

2)  Consider running just one or two auctions, and list the rest of your items at a fixed price that you feel comfortable with.  Check some competitors' prices.  There is a huge amount of competition in the clothing category (including kids' clothing), so it may take longer to sell an individual item than in other categories. 

3)  Offering free shipping is good, but be sure you'll still have a realistic profit after you make the sale, especially if the item is heavy and going quite a distance.  I see you're in the Yukon, so check Canada Post rates for some of the farthest points you might ship to.  It just seems that some of your items might barely cover the cost of shipping them longer distances.

Hopefully some of these suggestions will help you, and best of luck.  Oh yes, and last point -- patience.  Things have changed on eBay over the last month or two and many sellers (including me!) are reporting concerns with listing placement, decreased visibility and lower sales.  The new defect rating system will no doubt exacerbate those issues. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Help with listings

Your pictures re a hook to get people to look further. The others are being generous. Your pictures are other than good. The at an angle does not work. The bedspread is distracting. Better you should invest in a mannequin. Pictures need to be a lot better.

I did not go to the description because the pictures did not "hook" me to look further.

I know what you are doing and trying to do. Not the proper approach in this venue, sorry.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Help with listings

Thank you.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Help with listings

Thank you.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Help with listings

GL jg01302, you'll get some wonderful advice here.

With this listing, I would take close pictures/scans of at least a few of these, full on so we can see detail.  They look really cool, I think, from the angle and distance you took them at but I want to see more, you know? 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1938-Movie-Stars-Picture-Cigarette-Cards-Colour-Very-Good-Condition-/29112902...

Message 7 of 7
latest reply