How much time does a buyer has to cancel a transaction?

ve2cjw
Community Member

I have sold a camera to a buyer more than 2 weeks ago. Since then, the guy has been reporting imagined problems one at the time. I answer him and tell him what to do. A few days after, he asks another question and I answer him again. How long can that go on before he can't decide to cancel the transaction? The description of the camera said no return unless it has a problem. Can this go on for a month or what? Anyone had this problem before? I'm really fed up with this transaction. Frankly, I'd like to spend the money on something else but I have to keep it in a bank account just in case. Any comment appreciated because eBay doesn't say anything about delays in a case like that.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ve2cjw
Community Member
Forgot to mention that I answered his last question on October 6 and am still waiting for his next question. He never asked for a refund yet but I wonder how long this can go on before I'm fed up with all this dallying. Can this last a month? A year?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

ve2cjw
Community Member
Forgot to mention that I answered his last question on October 6 and am still waiting for his next question. He never asked for a refund yet but I wonder how long this can go on before I'm fed up with all this dallying. Can this last a month? A year?
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

The buyer has about an hour to cancel a transaction. After that only the seller can cancel.

Once he pays for it, only the seller can cancel and refund him.

Once it is shipped, he can only Dispute the transaction after it is delivered or, if it has not been delivered by the last estimated date for delivery, for 30 days.

And to complicate matters, he can also Dispute through Paypal for 180 days from payment.

Okay.

The buyer has paid and recieved the camera.

He can ask you for a refund.

You are allowed to demand the return of the camera.

"I regret that you are not satisfied with your purchase. Please return the camera for a full refund."

That means he has to pay to return the camera to you. Often this ends the complaint.

If he demands a partial refund;

"I regret that you are not satisfied with your purchase. Please return the camera for a full refund."

Note that you are not offering to pay for the return shipping.

If he demands that you pay for return shipping, tell him to open a Dispute "to keep everything on record".  Try to sound polite and helpful about this. This often ends the complaints.

If he returns the camera, on his own dime, and it is in the same condition it was when you shipped, you refund and relist.

Some sellers will only refund the selling price, not the shipping which went to Canada Post.

But he could open a Not As Described Dispute with eBay. He has 30 days from delivery for this.

You respond in the Dispute:

EBay may demand that you pay for return shipping. You can send him a Canada Post (or USPS) shipping label for this.

When you get the camera back, refund and relist.

If he has passed the 30 day deadline, he can Dispute through Paypal.

Your response:

Paypal will insist that HE pays for tracked return shipping.

When you get the camera back, you refund and relist it.

You have a Blocked Bidder List.

Cancelled transactions allow both members to leave feedback.

If a member loses a Dispute, he cannot leave feedback for the winner.

A seller who refunds voluntarily is considered to have "won" the Dispute. (It's more complicated than that.)

A seller who is forced to refund gets a Defect. This is a Bad Thing.

A buyer who threatens to leave negative feedback may lose a Dispute due to Feedback Extortion.

Basically, tell him to return it. Your mental health is more important than this hassle.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thanks a lot. I'll wait a little more and ask him directly what he wants. I hope he knows what he wants, otherwise I'll tell him to get lost.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply