How to Avoid Defects with Canada Post Combined Shipping

Hi everyone, I have a quick question about combined shipping with Canada Post:

I just received my first defect due to combining two items in one package -- even though I uploaded the tracking number to the second item + marked it as shipped.

Based on reading here, I understand that there is a glitch with the eBay-Canada Post integration that results in a defect of "uploaded on time but no carrier scan" when combining items. (I used ChitChats in the past and this was not an issue.)

I know eBay has a combined shipping option, but my understanding is that this only works if the buyer hasn't paid yet. My buyer had already paid for the items.

Because I list on eBay.com, defects affect my seller status. I would love to know is there's a workaround that you use for combined shipping -- or if there's a way to ask the eBay dev team if they could fix this.

Thanks for your help 🙂

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

When you go into labels click on bulk labels which I think is on the top right.  There you should be able to make one label for both items and it should automatically upload the tracking number to both.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

When you go into labels click on bulk labels which I think is on the top right.  There you should be able to make one label for both items and it should automatically upload the tracking number to both.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thanks so much, I'll try that! (This was my first time using eBay labels to combine shipping so I had no idea.) 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

You might be able to get the defect removed if you contact eBay directly and explain the error. People here usually prefer their customer service on the AskEbay Twitter or Facebook accounts. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys wrote:

You might be able to get the defect removed if you contact eBay directly and explain the error. People here usually prefer their customer service on the AskEbay Twitter or Facebook accounts. 

Technically, it's not a "defect", so it cannot be removed - I have tried already (I got 10 of them just after Xmas)

They even do not appear in the "Request to remove defects" section: (https://www.ebay.com/sellerhelp/defect)

The good news is such a "ding" disappears automatically after 3 months. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for all the great info + suggestions about my combined shipping dilemma!

In case anyone's searching for this topic in the future, I spoke to eBay and here's what they said:

1) As @38e_avenue mentioned, the "uploaded on time but no carrier scan" hits are not technically "defects" and therefore cannot be removed. 

2) The % in the "uploaded on time but no carrier scan" category does not affect the seller status of Canada-based sellers -- even if we list on eBay.com. (The first person I spoke to at eBay said this % does affect our seller status when listing on eBay.com, but the second person I spoke to said this info was wrong -- and he seemed much more competent, so I'm going with his info lol.) This % for sure has no impact on Canada-based sellers who list on eBay.ca.

3) If you are combining shipping after the fact (for a buyer who paid immediately), the best way, as @pjcdn2005 mentioned, is to use the bulk labels option when creating your label. The method I used (manually adding the tracking number to the second item and marked it as shipped) is unreliable, the eBay rep confirmed, as it "works most of the time but not always" -- and apparently they don't know why. (My sense is that it's because my buyer in this scenario paid in two different transactions.)

Message 6 of 6
latest reply