How to Determine Which Items Were Listed on .ca and Those Listed on .com

I should know this, but I don't .....

When I want to specifically list on one or other of the sites, I usually call up a current listing and "Sell Similar".  But it's always trial and error when I try to determine which were listed on .ca and which were on .com.  I end up opening it and then clicking on "Sell Similar" before I can see which site I'm on.  It's very time consuming and I know there must be an easier way.  When someone tells me, I'll slap my forehead.   Smiley Happy

Thanks.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

For the most part I use dotCA because; shipping.

But I use the NOTE option to help with this problem.

When I list, I go back to the day's listings and add the words "dotCA 5/15" or the like.

Only the seller can see her own notes.

When the item comes up for relist, I can tell from the Note which site to go to.

The Note shows on both sites.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

But I use the NOTE option to help with this problem.

When I list, I go back to the day's listings and add the words "dotCA 5/15" or the like.

Great idea!  Thanks ..... that's what I'll do.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

"...there must be an easier way."

Yes there are.

Use the bulk "relist" or "sell similar" and select all items

If you use the bulk tool on eBay.ca, it will give you a list of items that cannot be listed because they were listed on a different site (eBay.com)

If you use the bulk tool on eBay.com, it will give you a list of items that cannot be listed because they were listed on a different site (eBay.ca).

An easier way is to list everything in Cdn$ on eBay.ca and everything in US$ on eBay.com

Another way is to list on eBay.cafr instead of eBay.ca and use free subtitle (I do).  That would give you a quick indication of what site you are on!

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Thanks Pierre.

Actually, I do use the bulk listing method you mention when I'm relisting (or selling similar) a large number of listings that have just ended or I want to re-list because of a promo. 

But, often, I want to use the same description for a new item(s) and I've been using the old "hunt and peck" system, as opposed to using the bulk tool to eliminate listings which are on the opposite site.  I find that quite cumbersome as well when I'm just working with a few items.

By the way, I've never used the .cafr site.  I'm not sure what the benefits are, even with the free sub-title.  I always assumed that it was only a small minority of the Francophone community who logged on to that site and because I only ship to North America, I never thought it would be all that advantageous even though I do have a quite a few buyers from Quebec and Atlantic Canada.  Is it more beneficial to someone like yourself who ships worldwide?

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

I list different types of items on each site so it is easy for me to remember but if I do want to double check a particular listing I can tell by looking at the shipping option. If shipping to Canada is int'l then the item was listed on .com.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I usually list photos, negative, slides on one site and list other items from A to Z, books, magazines, posters, t-shirts, etc, etc, on other site, so I can remember which items on which site.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

I see that I'm not the only one who needed some method to locate items on a specific site.

My items can't really be separated by category.  There are a few items which are specific in nature but enough to separate by site.  My focus has been to utilize all my free listings so I max out both sites with similar items.

I started using the Note method ... as I've relisted.  A little at a time.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

If you use the eBay note method, it will show for the duration of the listings and in UnSold (or Sold). However, when you relist the item from UnSold, Relist will keep the note, Sell Similar will delete the note.

So if you are using the extra eBay free listings promos and have to use Sell Similar to make an UnSold a "new" listing, you will lose the note. I know because years ago I tried to use the notes to save info about a listings only to lose it when I used Sell Similar to change from Auction to Fixed Price or vise versa. So I figured out a different way to pass info forward.

If you use eBay Selling Manager, you can use the Custom Label since it is carried forward using Relist or Sell Similar. I use the custom label 50 characters in a specific format with codes for things I want to know. One is the eBay site code as well as the location where the item is stored, what version of my master template I used to create the listings, the last date I proofread the listing, one letter codes for how many pictures in the listing, backed up in TL, size of photos, tested on eBay mobile or not, preferred listing format (Fixed Price or Auction), last date I made the listing from scratch. You can store a lot of info in the custom label using shorthand codes. I developed mine over time from simple to detailed. I use it all the time so it is easy to read and understand my codes.

My eBay does not have access to see/use the Custom Label field. Turbo Lister does but I only use TL for backing up listings so I never worked with Custom Labels in TL. Selling Manager can see the Custom Label.

PS You have to use Customize in Selling Manager to show the Custom Label field. I moved this column to the left after the Item Id

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Thanks for that great info, pocomo!

You know, I had become so accustomed to using the same fields in Selling Manager, thinking it offered all the information I needed, it never occurred to me to view what else was available in the Customize section.  I can't even remember the last time I viewed that section.   I've added the Custom Label field now and I thank you for that.  I don't know if I can master all the info you've entered in 50 characters LOL but, over time, perhaps.  It certainly will hold the info I need now.  I wasn't aware that the Note would not carry over on Sell Similar which is what I primarily use, but it will come in handy for just temporary notes.

Thanks again.  I'll work on that tonight while I watch America's Got Talent.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

"I'm not sure what the benefits are, even with the free sub-title."

The free sub-titles are the benefit.  Using that site has nothing to do with French Canadians or Quebec.  Take a look at any of my listings.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"I'm not sure what the benefits are, even with the free sub-title."

The free sub-titles are the benefit.  Using that site has nothing to do with French Canadians or Quebec.  Take a look at any of my listings.

I'm sorry, Pierre, but I still don't understand.  For example, let's say you have 250 free listings.  Do you list 250 on .ca and the same 250 on .cafr, resulting in two sets of identical listings, one with a sub-title and one without?  This doesn't constitute a duplicate listing?  Or do you list an additional, different set of 250 listings on .cafr? 

Now that I'm reduced to 20 free listings, I use 20 on .ca, another 20 on .com and, presumably, I can use another 20 on .cafr.  And they'll all be visible on the sites I ship to?

I hope you understand what I'm trying to determine.  I'm not sure whether the addition of a sub-title constitutes a duplicate listing or a different listing.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

" I use 20 on .ca, another 20 on .com and, presumably, I can use another 20 on .cafr. "

Sorry, you can use 20 on eBay.com and a total of 20 on eBay.ca and/or eBay.cafr

For the purpose of "free listings" .ca and .cafr are combined as one site.

The benefit of using .cafr, as stated earlier, is to get free sub-titles.  They may be of no value to most sellers.  I find them valuable the way I use them (for free).  I would not pay extra for them.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

...on .cafr.  And they'll all be visible on the sites I ship to?"

If you do a search for my name (two words: first name, last name) on eBay.com you will come across 192 listings.  The search results come from the sub-title I use on eBay.cafr

Why?  Because words in sub-titles are searchable on eBay.com!

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Sorry, you can use 20 on eBay.com and a total of 20 on eBay.ca and/or eBay.cafr

For the purpose of "free listings" .ca and .cafr are combined as one site.

Thanks for clarifying, Pierre.

If you do a search for my name (two words: first name, last name) on eBay.com you will come across 192 listings.  The search results come from the sub-title I use on eBay.cafr

I've used sub-titles when they're on sale, or free, but I didn't know they were searchable.  I just thought they would make my listings stand out among other like items in the search results.  Also, good to know.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

Thanks for that great info, pocomo!

You know, I had become so accustomed to using the same fields in Selling Manager, thinking it offered all the information I needed, it never occurred to me to view what else was available in the Customize section.  I can't even remember the last time I viewed that section.   I've added the Custom Label field now and I thank you for that.  I don't know if I can master all the info you've entered in 50 characters LOL but, over time, perhaps.  It certainly will hold the info I need now.  I wasn't aware that the Note would not carry over on Sell Similar which is what I primarily use, but it will come in handy for just temporary notes.

Thanks again.  I'll work on that tonight while I watch America's Got Talent.

One thing I forgot to mention is that because the Custom Label is carried forward when using Sell Similar, if you create a new listing from the Sell Similar, that is, a different item, then you need to update the Custom Label field if you store info in it like I do.  For the most part, I create all new listings from scratch, that is, I start with my custom template stored in the 10 Starter templates that the Sell Your item form allows you to have. This comes up with a Blank custom Label.

As far you are concerned, the ebay site info will carry over just fine. Since you can't sell similar between sites, once you id the listings site, it will always be correct.

One way to update a lot of listings quickly is to bulk edit the active listings and mark them all. Since you can only bulk edit listing on one site at a time, if you bulk edit on ebay.ca, the listing shown will have the USA filtered out. Do the same on eBay.com.  When in bulk edit, you will have to customize again to show the Custom Label and you might want to move to the left to be near the title. Not really necessary since you are just going to mark if Can or US. For me, since I have more info in the Custom Label, I need to see the listing title and listing format.

Hope this helps.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

One thing I forgot to mention is that because the Custom Label is carried forward when using Sell Similar, if you create a new listing from the Sell Similar, that is, a different item, then you need to update the Custom Label field if you store info in it like I do.  For the most part, I create all new listings from scratch, that is, I start with my custom template stored in the 10 Starter templates that the Sell Your item form allows you to have. This comes up with a Blank custom Label.

As far you are concerned, the ebay site info will carry over just fine. Since you can't sell similar between sites, once you id the listings site, it will always be correct.

One way to update a lot of listings quickly is to bulk edit the active listings and mark them all. Since you can only bulk edit listing on one site at a time, if you bulk edit on ebay.ca, the listing shown will have the USA filtered out. Do the same on eBay.com.  When in bulk edit, you will have to customize again to show the Custom Label and you might want to move to the left to be near the title. Not really necessary since you are just going to mark if Can or US. For me, since I have more info in the Custom Label, I need to see the listing title and listing format.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the added info.  I appreciate it.

I do use the bulk edit listing when I'm working with a large number of listings, e.g. re-lists, promos.  It's when I'm just listing a few new items that will have the almost identical description as a current listing, that it would be beneficial to know the site it's on, particularly when I have free listings left on one site or another.  I'll likely use the Custom Label for a little more than to indicate whether it's on .ca or .com but not likely as much detail as you enter.

By the way, your listings are done very well, with a lot of information and good pictures. They're so detailed that I would have expected you to work from current listings for new ones rather than starting from scratch.  But I guess the 10 stored templates have worked for you.

Thanks again.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

I found your listings by searching by your name on both .ca and .com but I was really surprised because I've

always been told that subtitles are not searchable.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

only searchable when listing on cafr since they thought fench people would list there in french and want to have an english translation searchable.  I have never seen a single listing like that .  That was back when only the title influenced search, not the same advantage now that the listing, prefilled info and item specifics influence search

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

@pocomocomputing wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the added info.  I appreciate it.

I do use the bulk edit listing when I'm working with a large number of listings, e.g. re-lists, promos.  It's when I'm just listing a few new items that will have the almost identical description as a current listing, that it would be beneficial to know the site it's on, particularly when I have free listings left on one site or another.  I'll likely use the Custom Label for a little more than to indicate whether it's on .ca or .com but not likely as much detail as you enter.

By the way, your listings are done very well, with a lot of information and good pictures. They're so detailed that I would have expected you to work from current listings for new ones rather than starting from scratch.  But I guess the 10 stored templates have worked for you.

Thanks again.

I have only 1 master template saved in the 10 SYI saved templates. The others backups or previous version or experimental versions. All listings are made online and I use Turbo Lister to backup my listings once a month in case I need them in the future.

I should clarify that when I make a listing from scratch, I do use Sell Similar to make copies of the first if I have identical or very similar items (different color or different size) and just change a few words.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply