How to list on eBay .com

Hello everybody,

My question is very simple. I would like to take advantage of the US free listings.

How do I calculate and choose the shipping options?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

How to list on eBay .com

@rio1953 wrote:

Hello everybody,

My question is very simple. I would like to take advantage of the US free listings.

How do I calculate and choose the shipping options?

If shipping from Canada, you can only use flat rate shipping on eBay.com. Canada Post lettermail USA, light packet USA and small packet USA are all suitable for flat rate shipping to the USA. For the tracked shipping services you have to estimate an average cost and use that (if on east coast, figure cost to California; for west coast use cost to Florida).

If you're close enough to the border (or have access to a company that will take your packages across the border) and are able to ship from the USA, then and only then will you be able to use calculated shipping for eBay.com.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

How to list on eBay .com

Basically the flat rate choices to the USA give you delivery time ranges. You pick how you are going to ship.

Your choices on eBay.com are:

- Economy Shipping from outside US (11 to 23 business days)

- Standard Shipping from outside US (5 to 10 business days)

- Expedited shipping from outside US (1 to 4 business days)

You can also pick (with much higher US buyer expectations):

- Economy Shipping (1 to 10 business days)

- Standard Shipping (1 to 6 business days)

- Expedited shipping (1 to 4 business days)

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

How to list on eBay .com

if it is a small item say 10 oz tracked it is about 12.00 us curancy which equates to about 15.00 canada money in say a box 6x6 by 2,shipped with tracking,weight is the big factor also ebay will charge about 1.50 and pay pal is a buck or so,if its more than a lb the price goes up being that it is shipped air mail from canada no more ground shipping,hope that helps some

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

How to list on eBay .com

@aubreyclay56 wrote:

if it is a small item say 10 oz tracked it is about 12.00 us curancy which equates to about 15.00 canada money in say a box 6x6 by 2, shipped with tracking, weight is the big factor

also ebay will charge about 1.50 and pay pal is a buck or so,

if its more than a lb the price goes up being that it is shipped air mail from canada no more ground shipping,hope that helps some

It's been 4 decades since Canada Post went metric, and if you're not careful when using Imperial/American measurements that can put you into a higher cost shipping category.  Price breaks for the USA (depending on service selected) are: 100g 200g 250g 300g 500g 1kg and every 500g above that.

Shipping cost is based on the higher of actual weight or the volumetric rate. Volumetric weight is L x W x H (in cm) divided by 5000 gives volumetric rate in kilograms (for the USA, in Canada you divide by 6000 when using expedited).

For weights under 5kg I've been happy with the Starfrit scale (Cdn Tire, under $20 when on sale). It can display both ounces and grams.

-.-

Canada Post (directly or via paypal) charges for shipping in Canadian dollars, when you list in US$ that means you can use a lower shipping value (currently 30% less) and still cover the Canada Post cost.

-.-

ebay.com charges an additional Final Value Fee based on the first USA domestic rate (so if you have 2 shipping rates for the USA, make sure the least expensive one is first). For individuals that's 10%, for stores it is 4-9% depending on category).

If you are a PowerSeller your discount does not apply to this shipping FVF, so you do have incentive to roll the cost of shipping into the main price (which does get the PowerSeller discount) and have free shipping for USA domestic on eBay.com

-.-

Paypal charges a service fee on the value of the total transaction (main price + shipping charged). So it does not matter whether shipping is included in the price or is an extra charge.

-.-

Ground parcel service by Canada Post to the USA has been gone for a couple of years.

-.-

Message 5 of 5
latest reply