I have a no returns listing and yet a customer wants to return but it is possible the item is fine

I have sold a collection of 5 Fairy dolls to a customer. She says that her daughter open one and the wings were broken. She says that the glue was still wet. I don't glue them. They are in closed packages and I had them in a box for a year. She said that her daughter was too upset and only opened one more. It was broken too. She refused to open more. I felt bad as it was her birthday gift and offered to replace the one broken if she returned it to me. She had already had these dolls for 3 weeks. how do I know that they weren't broken in play. I still was willing to exchange the one. Now 4 days later she suddenly wants the money for the doll and the postage because she found a cheaper on on Amazon and postage is free!!! What is advised her? I have tried to do the right thing but I suspect I am being taken here. Help!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I have a no returns listing and yet a customer wants to return but it is possible the item is fine

I feel for you, but the unfortunate truth is , welcome to Ebay. As much as this may frustrate you, the fact is that you most likely will have to refund the person. Regardless if you state on your auction that you dont do returns. All the buyer has to do is file a claim and return the item.

We who have been on Ebay for sometime do come across difficult buyers. Its all part of the game. As much as you may feel otherwise, the best thing for you to do is comply and move on

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Does it not matter that she says she found it cheaper and wants the money back? Does she not have to return the broken one?
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Yes it matters if she says that in a claim. You can try to deny her and use that email of her saying she found cheaper but it would then fall on Ebay to make a decision. Under Ebay's purchase policy because you found a better deal doent allow you to get a refund.

I would try to work it out ,but dont tell her that ebay doesn't allow for refunds simply because she found a better deal. The best result would be that she filed a claim under this pretense. 

I dont know what the value this is costing you but sometimes it not worth the grief, But thats me.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

You know, if I was a big seller and knew all about this stuff then I would know exactly what to do but I'm not and I can't afford to be sending her back her money and postage because she has a better deal. She also told me that two were broken in her first email....and the glue was wet. Now she says that only one is broken and she found a better deal.Not once did she mention sending me back the broken doll even though I tell her in almost every email. What is the use of having 'No Returns Accepted' if I have to refund and not get my item back?

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Hey we all have to go through growing pains on Ebay. It took us all time to know the in and out, and we are still learning as ebay changes almost monthly.

Back to your situation. You can tell your buyer quite confidently that it is Ebay policy that the item must be returned before refund is given. If she opens a case against you, do not worry because I know that ebay will side with you and tell her to return the item first.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Also, as much as sometimes you would like to just verbally  ream out your buyer, keep your composure, stay professional.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Your response should be calm and professional.

'Please return the dolls and their packaging for a full refund"

She must return all the dolls with Confirmation of Delivery to get her refund.

If she objects your response is 'Please return the dolls and their packaging for a full refund"

If she looks at the price of returning the dolls, she may decide that her kid is at fault for being careless with her toys.

If she goes to eBay/Paypal she will be told to return the dolls to get a refund of her original payment.

In such a dispute, you tell PP/eBay she can return the dolls to get a refund of her original payment.

If she does, refund promptly.

You get at least three saleable dolls, if she was truthful that the others are unopened.

If you don't refund when she returns the dolls, PP will and come after you for their money. You really don't want that.

I don't know where you will stand on the new 'defects' policy, I'm doing my best to ignore it.

The main thing is: no refund without return.

By the way, no returns is not the same as no refunds. PP can force a refund even without a return.And many sellers will refund if they believe there is no point in the return (getting a photo of a damaged parcel and its smashed contents for example).

Not every transaction will go well. It's business.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I see that the buyer gave you a neg feedback. That was unfortunate but wasnt surprising. Sucks though. I also saw your follow up. Its fine.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Phone Help and Contact during the week and ask to have that neg removed. If you can send them the email where she said she found them cheaper elsewhere, give that to Customer Service.

If that is not possible, you should abandon this poisoned account. You are just not going to get any sales with 66% approval.

Dang, that's harsh.

You can open a brand new account and even use the same Paypal account, but you will need a different credit card for the new eBay account.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply