I need your thoughts on that one please

I was just watching a video with tips and ideas about selling on ebay.

1 Tip that  got my attention was to use some misspellings on my titles here and there. Because there are some people who may be looking for items like mine but not sure how to spell them. So that could probably make them so up. 

Now it does make sense. But the question is how professional would it look?

I may only be a casual seller looking to make ends meet by making some extra money. But I still want to be a professional about it.

Another tip in order to avoid having anyone claiming item not as described and performing chargebacks. To film ourselves packaging (not just pictures) from the started to the point that it leaves at the post office. 

Does that make any sense?

here is a link to the rest if anyone is interested in the video as well.

this guy is funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRkKQhFFIwk

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

To film ourselves packaging (not just pictures) from the started to the point that it leaves at the post office. 

Does that make any sense?

It will most likely not even be allowed as "evidence" in a case.  A waste of time.  Don't bother. 

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Piffle!

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Musty Knot Due Hit

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

If you want to learn how to sell on eBay, watch the eBay-created videos. Random videos by random users are not where I’d invest my professional development time.
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

The 'video' idea is the usual cluelessly paranoid Yankee. Same with having the postal clerk watch you pack( while a dozen other customers put voodoo curses on your and all your shipments for holding them up).

I do use misspelling occasionally, but carefully.

Two of my better selling authors  (Robert Heinlein and JRR Tolkein) are notoriously difficult to get right.

So while it use the correct spelling first in the title, towards the end of my 80 free keystrokes I will add the usual misspelling(s). But it should be clear that you are aware of the correct spelling not doing it out of ignorancy.

I was Searching a few years back for a Boler trailer (a very small travel trailer made in Canada) and got a lot of hats and short jackets.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Also there is a site that lets you put in the correct spelling and it will bring up listings with incorrect spellings. Trouble is, I can’t find the web address any more, I lost my favorites when my laptop died.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Found it (google is my friend), it’s fatfingers. 

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

I seem to recall fatfingers has or had an app too.
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

First off-- not 'ignorancy' it's 'ignorance'. Sigh. Is there an amendment to Murphy's Law that if you are commenting on spelling you will make at least one spelling mistake yourself?

I'd tend to think that the buyer who uses 'fatfingers' to find misspelled listings is not someone I would want to deal with. Or play three card monte with.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Maybe not, but it is fun to look at some of those spelling mistakes though.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

A little anecdote.

A few years ago, I was searching for some Microsoft software.  I came across a listing that offered what I needed at a good price, but the word Microsoft was spelled "Micorsoft".  I read the feedback closely and saw a lot of accusations about counterfeit software.  Shortly after, the seller disappeared.

Some time later, I read about a seller who was fighting her suspension by eBay by claiming that she wasn't selling counterfeit Gucci items because it was clear in her title that she was selling Gucchi products. 

Since then, I've always taken a second and third look when there is a major misspelled word in a title.   It makes me very apprehensive to do business with that person.  I do, however, occasionally use two spellings of a commonly misspelled word, similar to what was said in @femmefan1946's post.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

I've sold a few things over the year where I've used two versions of a name.

Example

- Names with punctuation

- Two word names that are sometimes merged into one word

If I have the space I'll use both in the Title.

As far as video....complete waste of effort, you would be the only person to ever look at it.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Murphy's Law  

Anything that can go wrong will go wrong

Cole's Law

Thinly sliced cabbage

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

"I do use misspelling occasionally, but carefully. Two of my better selling authors...."

Yes, exactly this. I have two Cars characters whose names are difficult to get right. One is French. Disney PIXAR Cars 2 RAOUL ÇaROULE METALLIC TOYS R US Ransburg diecast CAROULE. To spell his name correctly means your ebay search will yield.... nothing. Eliminate the cédille----which by the way, I cannot even type that word without being autocorrected into oblivion --- and you find yourself a character. Technically misspelled. The other is another Cars character whose name is mispelled as a rule: Miles Axlerod. Or maybe it's Axelrod. If even I cannot remember which of the two it is, how is someone's Gramma going to find it?

But to deliberately misspell the word cardigan is plain dumb.

Don't believe what you see on those YouTube videos. Stick to the ones ebay releases. The others will more likely be filled with sketchy advice. I seriously would not waste my time on those. But good for you for doing the research. 

Ten results for the name spelled correctly but 449 for the name spelled incorrectlyTen results for the name spelled correctly but 449 for the name spelled incorrectly

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

I didn’t know that eBay official pages suggested YouTube videos and misspelling words on purpose or even filming yourself... I thought you said you were going to read those as other posters suggested?

Also, please do other posters a favour by naming your topic subject with something more relevant to your post content. Something like “Your thoughts on this YouTube selling tips video?” would be helpful. Could’ve saved people a few clicks.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

what do you mean? lol!!!!!
Message 17 of 20
latest reply

I know me too, But I am watching them anyway. They are fun to watch
Message 18 of 20
latest reply

fatfingers? is it a free tool? you spell it right and it brings misspellings too?
Message 19 of 20
latest reply

anything that can go wrong will
Message 20 of 20
latest reply