I used to be able to have my buyers supply me their phone numbers. How does that work now?

Like the subject says. I used to be able to have my buyers supply me with their phone numbers. I even have it set up for that.  But no numbers are coming through with their contact information upon purchase.  Am I now just missing it? or doing something wrong?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I used to be able to have my buyers supply me their phone numbers. How does that work now?

Start with the Account Tab at the top of the My eBay page

click on Site Preferences,  and then Shipping Preferences

Follow through with Require phone number for shipping.....

The telephone number then shows up in the Sales Record  in the right column of information and contacts available for each transaction.

This is more important when filling out Customs forms, where the telephone number is required.

I have found that  the telephone number does not always show up in the Sales Record with Canadian buyers

---------------------------------------------------------------

THen ... Link to 

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/tp/questions/member-phone.html

with respect to 

I'm unable to contact my trading partner through email. How do I get their telephone number?

and then 

False or missing contact information ... Link to 

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/identity-false.html

-----------------   

The above links should help.....

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Are you using eBay Order Details to get the phone number? Apparently it no longer has the phone number.

You can subscribe to the free eBay Selling Manager (free basic version, not the pro version which costs $15.99 a month). The phone number appears in the Selling Manager sales record.

For more information on this issue, please read this topic about a similar situation.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Site-Issues/Oct-14-2014-New-quot-Order-Detail-quot-doesn-t-show-phone-nu...

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Start with the Account Tab at the top of the My eBay page

click on Site Preferences,  and then Shipping Preferences

Follow through with Require phone number for shipping.....

The telephone number then shows up in the Sales Record  in the right column of information and contacts available for each transaction.

This is more important when filling out Customs forms, where the telephone number is required.

I have found that  the telephone number does not always show up in the Sales Record with Canadian buyers

---------------------------------------------------------------

THen ... Link to 

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/tp/questions/member-phone.html

with respect to 

I'm unable to contact my trading partner through email. How do I get their telephone number?

and then 

False or missing contact information ... Link to 

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/identity-false.html

-----------------   

The above links should help.....

I never knew that this Require Phone number for shipping existed. I checked and I do not have it turned on. Yet, I always seem to get the buyers phone number in the Selling Manager Sales Record for a transaction.

When I view the eBay Order Details page, no phone number exists. I wonder if the option will make the phone number show on Order Details page.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I use Selling Manager.

This morning I checked "View Sales Record" on the last seven transactions.

All but one show the buyers phone number, including Canada, USA, Germany and Switzerland.

I suspect if the phone number does not show it is simply because the buyer did not enter a phone number at time of registration or deleted it since then.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Thank you everyone! 

It was because I didn't have Selling Manager!

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Get it: it is free!

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

I never knew that this Require Phone number for shipping existed. I checked and I do not have it turned on. Yet, I always seem to get the buyers phone number in the Selling Manager Sales Record for a transaction.

When I view the eBay Order Details page, no phone number exists. I wonder if the option will make the phone number show on Order Details page.

I found the "Require Phone Number for Shipping" option recently by accident, and was going to select it, but the word 'require' made me a little concerned, so I didn't.  

I thought that word "require" might mean that eBay would filter out or block any buyers who hadn't entered a phone number on their eBay personal data.  At least that's the way I interpreted it.  Yikes, things are bad enough without blocking any more buyers! 

P.S.  I forgot to add that I use Selling Manager, and my buyers' phone #'s do usually show up on the Order Details page.  

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@pocomocomputing wrote:

I found the "Require Phone Number for Shipping" option recently by accident, and was going to select it, but the word 'require' made me a little concerned, so I didn't.  

I thought that word "require" might mean that eBay would filter out or block any buyers who hadn't entered a phone number on their eBay personal data.  At least that's the way I interpreted it.  Yikes, things are bad enough without blocking any more buyers! 

P.S.  I forgot to add that I use Selling Manager, and my buyers' phone #'s do usually show up on the Order Details page.  

I also thought that so I did not change the setting in my Shipping Preferences.

A good question to ask at the Wednesday weekly session with eBay. Assuming eBay Canada staff have the correct answer! Past sessions have shown that they give out too many incorrect answers. So whatever answer they give, I will wonder if it is true, lol.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

"Assuming eBay Canada staff have the correct answer"

Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

In all fairness to the eBay Canada staff, they seem to be out of the loop on many things but seemingly not by their own doing. I wonder if eBay internal politics are involved or just very poor internal communications. They do seem to be frustrated in their posting in the Wednesday sessions.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Since I subscribed to Selling Manager , out of 9 sales, only 1 gave me their phone numbers.  If it says "Require phone number for shipping", does that give them an option?  I thought no.  Weird.  I'd really like their phone numbers for shipping reasons.. and it gets time consuming and tiresome for me to try and look them up under Canada 411 all the time.. lol

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@directonlinebuying wrote:

Since I subscribed to Selling Manager , out of 9 sales, only 1 gave me their phone numbers.  If it says "Require phone number for shipping", does that give them an option?  I thought no.  Weird.  I'd really like their phone numbers for shipping reasons.. and it gets time consuming and tiresome for me to try and look them up under Canada 411 all the time.. lol

Has anybody heard of eBay changing their policy on asking sellers for the phone numbers?
As I stated in this post, I like to have access of phone numbers from my customers for shipping purposes.

I called eBay about 6 to 8 weeks ago, and was told while my settings are correct on my side, that it's a glitch on their side....

Well.. I was patient.. and waited and waited for the 'glitch' to be fixed.

I called tonight, and was told that eBay is taking away that feature as 'they' and the 'buyers' don't want to be called, so this feature is ON IT'S WAY OUT.. ..   😞

what the heck??

So now... I'm told to 'request' my buyers contact information EVERY TIME I make a sale... and if you read the email that ebay sends you.... it' doesn't sound legal for me to obtain my buyer's phone number this way..

"Important Usage Guidelines:

• 1. This contact information should only be used for resolving matters related to eBay. Any other use is strictly prohibited.
  • 2. Use of this information to complete a transaction outside of eBay is not permitted. Items purchased outside of eBay are not eligible for eBay services."
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Is you dropshipper using UPS or Canada Post? If it's the later they don't need a phone number. If it's the former just tell them to use your number by default.

Your listings show Canada Post so I assume that's the way they are being shipped but maybe it's Purolator in which case just use your number if you don't have the buyers.

Never once had UPS, FedEX, Purlolator or any of these other private carriers ever called me in the 40 years I've been receiving packages.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Unfortunately, I have... 😞

But have you hear of this new rule of eBay's recped?
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

The mobile app for android provides buyers phone numbers. That is how I get a number if needed. And being a mobile app it is one click to dial the number.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Unfortunately, I have... 😞

But have you hear of this new rule of eBay's recped?

What "new rule"?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 17 of 17
latest reply