Is MAKE AN OFFER always so insulting?

I recently revised all my listings to include Make An Offer so that local buyers had an easy way of letting me know they wanted to do a Cash Payment for Local Pickup. This move was part of my lockout-strike readiness plan.

I don't normally enable Make An Offer since I instead utilize Markdowns, or revise listings to alter pricing. Also, I did it with the Bulk Editor so there was no simply way to create the rule where you auto-reject or auto-accept offers of a certain amount. Or at least no simple way I could see at the time.

Consequently, I have been flooded with insultingly low offers. Like offers that are five per cent of the asking price.

Is this normal? Or is it just me?

I'm curious. And a little offended. 

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

@rose-dee wrote:

@cooltoycars wrote:

I have only BIN listings but still receive offers. Most recently, I was made an offer for a $15.00 item of $3.00 for the item AND $3.00 for the shipping to the USA!!! Considering that Small Packet to the US is $8.36, I passed on the "generous" offer and added the buyer to my blocked bidder list. That is my solution to dealing with those kind of idiots! I block them!

Yes, I think we all get those sort of people from time to time.  EBay is full of them.  I would imagine toy sellers have more than their share to deal with.  My point was that adding Best Offer to listings that may already be susceptible to that kind of foolishness is like announcing open season to what some sellers like to refer to as "bottom feeders".   

A related topic came up on the Weekly Chat about unwanted BEST OFFERS but not on toys, on stamps.  With all the tinkering eBay is doing it looks like a glitch of some sort caused the BO option to appear totally uninvited with auto-accept and no limits. This just HAS TO be happening to other sellers too.  What I think is that kids have discovered this glitch and are trying it out by lowballing every toy they would like to have hoping that one time it might work like what happened on the postage stamps.  

Its stupid to try because even if the offer does go through there is no way any seller is going to mail a $200 item for $10 but kids are like that sometimes and have more time than money and just trying their luck.  Personally I would not block a lowballer unless the person bought it at my accepted amount and then didn't follow through with payment.  Nonpayers need to be blocked.  But kids whose eyes are bigger than their wallet may save up their allowance and be able to afford it one day.  I also think BO sellers should set a "rejection limit" where anything below the acceptable price is declined.  Either that or stop whining about lowball offers.  

Sellers should sign out and check their listings like a stranger to make sure they don't have unwanted BO on anything:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Session/July-20th-2016-Weekly-Session/m-p/344939#M4704

Message 61 of 64
latest reply

@i.am.vivian wrote:

A related topic came up on the Weekly Chat about unwanted BEST OFFERS but not on toys, on stamps.  With all the tinkering eBay is doing it looks like a glitch of some sort caused the BO option to appear totally uninvited with auto-accept and no limits. This just HAS TO be happening to other sellers too.  

Yes, this is really bizarre.  I can't recall this problem ever being reported by a seller previously, and Best Offer has been around for many years. 

It seems the more eBay "improves" their site, the more things they break in the process.  The person who reported this occurrence is a very experienced seller, so I have no doubt the problem is real.  I'll be watching to see what Raphael's response is to that issue.  Unlike many eBay glitches which are merely annoying, I'd consider this very serious.  

Message 62 of 64
latest reply

If Raphael ever comes back today

Message 63 of 64
latest reply

That's strange; it's unlike him to leave the thread open so late. 

Message 64 of 64
latest reply