Letter of consent

Hello everyone,

I have this question and not sure if it's allowed on ebay:

I have potential buyers for a product I'm selling from international destinations. Problem is Canada Post is quite expensive to get it shipped either by parcel air or surface as this comes with a tracking and insurance covered. There's another option that is much cheaper which is small package air or surface. However, this option has no tracking nor insurance.

Quesiton: am I allowed to get a letter of consent from buyer stating if they decide to choose the cheapest shipping method and in case the item got lost, I'm not responsible for it? Will ebay and paypal protect me as a seller or will it automatically open the case and I will lose?

Thank you for your kindly assistance.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Letter of consent

"Will ebay and paypal protect me as a seller"

NO.

It is your legal responsibility as a seller to get the goods to the buyer, on eBay and elsewhere.

Losses in the mail do happen from time to time and should be considered a "cost of doing business" by sellers.  If you cannot afford those occasional losses, selling by mail may not be for you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Letter of consent

Basic premise of law is that people cannot sign away their individual rights.

ALL international shipping, from any country is hideously expensive when you start with the add-ons. Signature and tracking are not required. They are needed in the event of a dispute. In 8,700 sales that has come into play, once.

What Pierre is alluding to, is risk tolerance. My risk tolerance is very high. I do not buy insurance. I do not buy tracking. I do not buy signature. I sleep just fine. I also have an extra $11,000 in my pocket based on cost number someone posted.

Photobucket

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Letter of consent

Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply. Maybe I was a bit too skeptical. I did try to use the cheapest option for certain destinations and it worked out fine. For certain other destinations, I'm not trying so I think the way you describe do make senses and yes as a seller sometimes you have to take risk.

Thank you again.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Letter of consent

"Will ebay and paypal protect me as a seller"

NO.

It is your legal responsibility as a seller to get the goods to the buyer, on eBay and elsewhere.

Losses in the mail do happen from time to time and should be considered a "cost of doing business" by sellers.  If you cannot afford those occasional losses, selling by mail may not be for you.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Letter of consent

Basic premise of law is that people cannot sign away their individual rights.

ALL international shipping, from any country is hideously expensive when you start with the add-ons. Signature and tracking are not required. They are needed in the event of a dispute. In 8,700 sales that has come into play, once.

What Pierre is alluding to, is risk tolerance. My risk tolerance is very high. I do not buy insurance. I do not buy tracking. I do not buy signature. I sleep just fine. I also have an extra $11,000 in my pocket based on cost number someone posted.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Letter of consent

Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply. Maybe I was a bit too skeptical. I did try to use the cheapest option for certain destinations and it worked out fine. For certain other destinations, I'm not trying so I think the way you describe do make senses and yes as a seller sometimes you have to take risk.

Thank you again.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Letter of consent

Hi,

Thank you for the post. I think it's clear now of what you and Pierre have just mentioned.

Cheers.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Letter of consent

More so. There is the concept of business and personal. Far too many people make eBay personal. Thus, they are not in business for themselves.

There is a mix of metaphors here, but, Pierre and I do not take eBay home with us. We leave it at work. Most of the regular posters, here, "leave it at work".
Photobucket
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Letter of consent

Don't use Surface. It takes months and your buyer will get antsy, file a "not received" dispute and be refunded. Even the honest ones.

Do self insure. Add a tiny amount, less than a dime or even a nickel, to every single shipping charge, and use these premiums to offset the very occasional claim. Your customer complains, you don't argue, you refund. Then you take the money out of the virtual cookie jar you put all those nickels and dimes in. No disputes, no black marks, happy customers.

And yeah, don't take it home. Even if you work from home.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Letter of consent

Hi,

Thank you for the advices. I'll try your methods and see how things go.

By the way, I don't have time to think about bringing ebay home. I have enough on my plates to think about.

I just want to get in a right mindset to do things properly. 🙂

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Letter of consent

Mindset. Interesting word. Mine changes.

Ten years ago it was a pocket money giggle. That morphed into a money making hobby. I was ahead on money, if not on time. Couple years later I started to real "give 'er" and started making real money to pay off bills. That lead to the last four years of self employed income. That has since changed to supplementary income as my life has moved to a different stage.

At different times it was a giggle, fear, panic, determination, an escape, business. The giggle was fun. Like a new car, perhaps a new relationship. Now it is just something I do, SOMETIMES. It is not all the time. This is why I keep it downstairs behind a door. Many people, it takes over their entire living space.

Being downstairs behind a door, i have compartmentalized it . In that space it is an active part of my life. Move out of that space, close the door, and it is behind me.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Letter of consent

Best check up on your law.So the right to die is non existant??Thats rhetorical.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply