Managed Payments - BIG Oversight?

Hi everyone,

Today, I received Negative Feedback from a buyer complaining of a bad item and no response from the seller. I checked all of my messages and cases, and there was no communication from them. I sent them a message to see what was going on. They said they opened a case via PayPal and I never responded, so PayPal stepped in and issued a refund. Now, I was really confused, so I went to PayPal and I had no cases from them. I checked their payment information, and I was paid via MP for that order. I then realized what happened, and, I believe it's a big oversight on eBay's part.

Essentially, they opened a case against eBay themselves, not me, the seller, as eBay is now taking the PayPal payments. The buyer expected to receive a response from me, the seller, which is fair, given I'm sure that eBay did not notify them of MP. When they did not receive a response to their case, they were upset and left Negative Feedback. Again, fair enough. The problem is, I now have a Negative Feedback and it is not my fault or the buyer's fault.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Seems unfair to the seller and even the buyer when cases like this will be opened via PayPal.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

AFAIK that’s not how it normally works in MP as the dispute should have still shown in your sellers hub.  Has eBay already debited you’re account for the refund?

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

You are probably right. I never knew that because eBay never made that clear (no suprise). In that case, I still didn't receive a notification about the case, and the payment is still showing as cleared, not on hold. So, whatever is happening, it is a mistake. Anyone else have this happen?
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

Another problem with Managed Payments.

Sellers are not being promptly notified of Disputes.

@supersavingsstore 

I won't hurt to contact the buyer through Messages, apologize and politely explain the circumstances. Then ask that the FB be removed. And apologize again.

While eBay does not use FB to measure our accounts, some buyers do.

You can also add a Response to the FB "Was not informed by eBay of problem I apologize for this." for example.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thanks for your response, @femmefan1946. I have contacted the buyer and explained everything to them. Unfortunately, they replied once and that's it. I will get the feedback removed by eBay today regardless.

This is a big problem for buyers AND sellers. Buyers are upset that the sellers are unresponsive (how do we even know about these issues) and sellers are getting punished. I could have solved his issue without a refund, as it was just a technical issue that needed a simple fix. This is a really frustrating situation. How could eBay not think of this?
Message 5 of 5
latest reply